News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

When the Star posts deliberately misleading information like this: http://www.thestar.com/news/transpo...ys-would-cost-more-and-serve-fewer-group-says I can understand why Ford avoids them.
How is that deliberatly misleading?

That seems to be what the group is reporting. How is this any more misleading that the Toronto Sun article:

Ford's subway plan not cost efficient: Group
Mayor Rob Ford's subway plan will leave more losers than winners when it comes to access to public transit, two environmental groups warned Wednesday. ...

When the Star posts deliberately misleading information like this: http://www.thestar.com/news/transpo...ys-would-cost-more-and-serve-fewer-group-says I can understand why Ford avoids them.
Sure, subway would cost less than TC but its not going to serve 700,000+ people in the entire city of Toronto unless Scarborough secretly decided to become a municipality of its own again voiding it. I think you should live anywhere that the TC routes are at risk of loss and commute to your workplace and back everyday and see why they are candidates for phase 1 (phase 2 is just to make Toronto 2020 ready)

Sure, subway would cost less than TC but its not going to serve 700,000+ people in the entire city of Toronto unless Scarborough secretly decided to become a municipality of its own again voiding it. I think you should live anywhere that the TC routes are at risk of loss and commute to your workplace and back everyday and see why they are candidates for phase 1 (phase 2 is just to make Toronto 2020 ready)

LRTs as built on SELRT don't serve anyone other than the people taking the existing bus. So I highly those numbers but I'm not going to waste my time debunking biased numbers.

We can all agree there are issues with the report, and especially with the articles about the report. That has no relation to, and doesn't justify, Ford's prolonged cold-shouldering of the Star. It's childish.

We can all agree there are issues with the report, and especially with the articles about the report. That has no relation to, and doesn't justify, Ford's prolonged cold-shouldering of the Star. It's childish.

Kind of like how the White House tried to boycott Fox News... You may not like the coverage you get, but in the end you need the media's power.

Kind of like how the White House tried to boycott Fox News.

Except that Fox News really adds no value. Wasn't there a recent study that showed people who watched Fox News were less informed on current US and world events than people who didn't watch the news at all? The White House can boycott Fox News without any impact... because people that would vote for the current president wouldn't watch Fox for anything other than dumb-u-tainment.

LRTs as built on SELRT don't serve anyone other than the people taking the existing bus. So I highly those numbers but I'm not going to waste my time debunking biased numbers.

Wouldn't that be like saying the Sheppard subway wouldn't serve anyone but the current riders of the 190 bus?

Wouldn't that be like saying the Sheppard subway wouldn't serve anyone but the current riders of the 190 bus?

People won't switch from very far for a bus or streetcar, but people will travel farther for a subway.

People won't switch from very far for a bus or streetcar, but people will travel farther for a subway.

That's awfully discriminatory. People travel far to fast and reliable transit, regardless of whether the vehicles use pantographs or contact shoes. It just so happens that our subways are fast and reliable, but that does not mean LRTs cannot be as well. If you want to increase the catchment area of the Sheppard LRT, it suffices to remove some lesser used stops and improve the design for left turns.

A reliable and visible improvement will draw new riders regardless of it being bus, LRT, or subway. People travel across the city to go to a Greyhound station, drive to GO stations on weekends to take a GO bus, etc. The bulk of the riders boarding at Don Mills (which is in turn the bulk of the riders on the line) would probably come from the LRT.

Sorry I'm just going by the assumptions which Metrolinx uses, and that is that more people are attracted to a subway vs LRT, more people are attracted to an LRT versus BRT, and more people are attracted to BRT over a plain vanilla bus.

Back