News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The Spadina extension warrants a subway? I ca make the same argument north of Steeles on Yonge.

I'm not saying I object to these ... but your logic, I'm not so sure :)
Yonge and DRL clearly justify a subway. I thought the predicted boarding to York were pretty decent - though I can't find a good reference. Given what a huge node York is, I think expanding it that far makes sense; and then having a stop at Steeles on the north end of the campus also makes sense. Vaughan seems warped, but Toronto isn't paying any of that ... but ignoring that ...

It's not that subway should be preferred over LRT, but Miller is totally OBSESSED with this thing. I think the only reason the DRL isn't in Transit city is because Miller knew it wouldn't work as LRT. I think some routes like Don Mills and Jane would work very well with regular LRT, but Eglinton, honestly? I'm glad that we're upgrading and all, but we should get it right the first time. A bit of LRT here, a bit of Subway there, some ART over there, and a hint of Regional Rail to top it all off.

Why should subways be apart of the TC plan? TC is only a plan for the LRT lines, it is not the final or only transit plan we are going to have. There are subway lines and regional rail planned and soon to be built, as part of the Regional transportation plan.

The Spadina extension warrants a subway? I ca make the same argument north of Steeles on Yonge.

I'm not saying I object to these ... but your logic, I'm not so sure :)

The Spadina extension is justified, not by it's low ridership, but by The City of Vaughan's and York U's massive ego's.

Why should subways be apart of the TC plan? TC is only a plan for the LRT lines, it is not the final or only transit plan we are going to have. There are subway lines and regional rail planned and soon to be built, as part of the Regional transportation plan.

My understanding is that TC isn't just LRT lines; they just happen to be the first ones.

If TC is supposed to be LRT only then the title is quite leading. No city with the geographic girth of Toronto could be a 'Transit City' using 30 kph LRTs to get around.

My understanding is that TC isn't just LRT lines; they just happen to be the first ones.
This is what I understood as well, also by the fact that it's called "Transit City" Instead of LRT City ;)
The only problem is that I can't understand what other lines would be subway, after they've killed Sheppard and Eglinton (Other than the DRL, of course.)

This is what I understood as well, also by the fact that it's called "Transit City" Instead of LRT City ;)
The only problem is that I can't understand what other lines would be subway, after they've killed Sheppard and Eglinton (Other than the DRL, of course.)

You've hit the nail on the head. And that's why I have such a dislike for Transit City.

I hope they are delaying the Sheppard announcement because they are planning on extending the subway to at least Victoria Park. I read somewhere that the Don Mills Station is too deep to make transfers from the future LRT to subway convenient. If the subwaw is extended maybe it could be brought closer to the surface making the connection to LRT easier.

I hope they are delaying the Sheppard announcement because they are planning on extending the subway to at least Victoria Park. I read somewhere that the Don Mills Station is too deep to make transfers from the future LRT to subway convenient. If the subwaw is extended maybe it could be brought closer to the surface making the connection to LRT easier.

I wish they extend it to Downsview...even Jane to connect with Jane LRT

Looks like Sheppard East is a go, and will go into Don Mills station, based on today's TTC meeting, according to Steve Munro:

Sheppard LRT Will Go To Don Mills Station
Today’s TTC Commission Meeting was rather short, but it included a discussion of the current state of the Sheppard LRT project.

TTC staff reported that the EA document is now being considered by the Ministry of the Environment who had sought clarification on whether the Sheppard Subway was to be extended. Staff will formally recommend later in April that the LRT line come into Don Mills Station rather than ending at Consumers Road.

This arrangement simplifies connections with the Finch to Don Mills LRT announced earlier this week.

No details on funding for the project are available, but the TTC is continuing with design, and the City of Toronto is carrying the cost on its own books.
Presumably this was part of the discussion as part of the award of the $4-million design contract that was supposed to occur today.

So, will it be a connection a la Yonge Subway --> Bloor Streetcar, or as the contunuation of the platform. I hope for the latter, as it majorly simplifies transfers.

Their is a short report on the progress of the Sheppard LRT, a possible funding announcement on the Spacing Wire website. This will be the third line on the Transit City plan that is probably going to get its funding in place.

Toronto gets nearly $1B for new LRT line

Construction will begin this fall on the long-awaited Sheppard East light rail transit line to be completed by 2013, the federal and Ontario governments announced today.

Ottawa and Queen's Park are paying $950 million, with the province accounting for two-thirds of the total.

Construction on the Sheppard East LRT project is expected to start later this year, and will generate about 9,500 construction jobs before it's completed.

The new LRT, about 14 kilometres in length, will run from the Don Mills subway station on the Sheppard line to the Metro Zoo area on Meadowvale Rd., and will connect with the Finch West LRT.

It will carry about 45,000 people daily when fully operational.

Back