News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

If you could stand a bit of constructive criticism, then, if I were marking your work I would give it a failing grade because your opening paragraph/hypothesis contains exactly that assertion.

Thanks for pointing that out. The statement was unintentionally misleading and I would certainly give myself a failing grade as well. I'll have to edit that out to say something along the lines of, "almost all of Toronto will be 2 km or less from transit at a cost to the City of Toronto that is approximately $8 Billion".

Last edited:
And their success in raising that would be at least partly dependent on how much money people had left after funding the original $34Billion ML plan. There may be lots of people dipping in but there is only one taxpayer pocket!

Well we shall see how aggressive Metrolinx is with their funding tools and how it impacts the City of Toronto. So far, they've only added charges for using HOV lanes, which nobody really is complaining about, but there is much more to come.

Well we shall see how aggressive Metrolinx is with their funding tools and how it impacts the City of Toronto. So far, they've only added charges for using HOV lanes, which nobody really is complaining about, but there is much more to come.

Can the HOT lanes be simply an annual fee to use the lanes. Maybe give a different colour license plat or sticker. That way there would be next to no infrastucture cost needed to collect the fee.

A quick calculation would be 20 cents per km tines 20 km per day times 250 working days per year. That works out ro $1000 per year. This seems a bit high, but that would be the charge for unlimited HOT access for the year. Maybe you offer only a certain number of such passes ( maybe 10 to 50k) so the HOT lane will not become clogged. As more lanes are added, more permits could be issued.

Can the HOT lanes be simply an annual fee to use the lanes. Maybe give a different colour license plat or sticker. That way there would be next to no infrastucture cost needed to collect the fee.

A quick calculation would be 20 cents per km tines 20 km per day times 250 working days per year. That works out ro $1000 per year. This seems a bit high, but that would be the charge for unlimited HOT access for the year. Maybe you offer only a certain number of such passes ( maybe 10 to 50k) so the HOT lane will not become clogged. As more lanes are added, more permits could be issued.

I can imagine the headline in the Toronto Sun:

Wynne Demands Drivers Pay $1000+ for the Privilage of Using OUR Highways

Beside an unflattering photo of her.

What you suggest is a great idea, but the optics would be horrible. Better to let drivers use them without an annual fee.

Thanks for pointing that out. The statement was unintentionally misleading and I would certainly give myself a failing grade as well. I'll have to edit that out to say something along the lines of, "almost all of Toronto will be 2 km or less from transit at a cost to the City of Toronto that is approximately $8 Billion".

But that is only true if you somehow draw a distinction between the "City of Toronto" and the "people of Toronto"....otherwise the cost is not $8B.....and if you do think there is a material difference between a city and the people in it/who fund it...you probably have a brighter future in politics than transit planning ;)

ML did not add that.....the province did in its budget....even after saying it would not get specific about revenue tools until ML presented its plans!

Those HOV/HOT lanes are not going to go very far in funding the Big Move so there are many, many, Billions still to be raised....and a fair bit of that has to come out of the pockets of Torontonians.

I tried to envision a subway network incorporating interlocking "flying U's". Starting with the YUS line and as each line moves north (ie king, queen, dundas) the width of the U becomes slightly wider than the line south of it (I roughly used on concession road on each side as my guide) before turning North. Therefore creating numerous transfer points across the system between the lines. Keeping in mind this is purely fantasy his is what I came up with:

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204290906569054389386.0004dd651b70ba6e4afff&msa=0&ll=43.736872,-79.380684&spn=0.147347,0.308647&iwloc=lyrftr:h,5054479801387336445,43.758821,-79.21855

Larger: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-l1ZEyPHkW5k/UbtoVOFFC_I/AAAAAAAAAE0/xZ6x58Q6kaQ/s1600/TTC1-01-01.jpg

TTC1-01-01.jpg

Wow that map really shows how far apart the stations are on the Yonge line vs the Bloor line

You mean Spadina and St. George?

I'm betting that's right. The circle for Spadina is the part of the station where the BD line and the street car loop are located. The University-Spadina line section is a bit north obviously and I think the circle for St. George might just be a little too west.

I'd say it's pretty close though.

You mean Spadina and St. George?

No, Spadina on the Spadina line and Spadina on the Bloor line have a 150m walkway connecting the platforms and a further distance to the platform centers. I assume the dot represents the platform center.

This is almost the same distance apart as Dundas and Queen stations on the Yonge line. Since downtown isn't drawn as a single dot, the map still isn't to scale despite being closer.

Last edited:
You've got me somewhat confused now...

The dot for Spadina is shown right on the Bloor line in the map, so it has to be a representation of the Bloor line platform. The northern part of Spadina station probably isn't considered a real station on its own right (never even has an attendant), and more of a second entrance.

And Dundas and Queen are 450m apart according to Google maps, so I'm not sure where you're going with that. Even if it's not quite that far, it's certainly a greater distance than that of Bloor to Lowther (the locations of the two halves of Spadina Station).

Again I think the map is quite accurate.

You've got me somewhat confused now...

The dot for Spadina is shown right on the Bloor line in the map, so it has to be a representation of the Bloor line platform. The northern part of Spadina station probably isn't considered a real station on its own right (never even has an attendant), and more of a second entrance.

Right, that's nfitz point. The author created an approximation and not a scaled down representation of what is actually built. You can't put a single dot on the map for a station like Spadina to cover both lines. That single dot is going to be in the wrong place for one line or the other.

You can't draw the line in the wrong location and call it a scale representation of reality.

Back