News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I took a map from several pages ago and had fun with it:

http://i.imgur.com/EyKJIuY.jpg

44772_Toronto_TTC_LARGE.png

Bigger Size: http://www.pictureshack.us/images/44772_Toronto_TTC_LARGE.png

It's a fantasy map I guess but I tried to be realistic. I have faith that the Scarborough Subway Extension will collapse due to lack of funding and revert back to LRT plans. I'm unsure about splitting the YUS line with the DRL line, not sure about the pros/cons of that move but I did it anyway for something new. I also added a Don Mills LRT.

I'm particularly fond of the Pearson Express Line that connects the Finch LRT, Crosstown, B-D and Waterfront lines. Rapid transit to anywhere in Toronto from Pearson airport, not to mention an interesting new growth (and Tourist?) corridor in Etobicoke. Unsure if that should be LRT or HRT though.

Comment away!

What Transit should really be like in Toronto. This is what my dream system would be if the Eglinton subway had gone ahead instead of the Sheppard subway. The thinner lines are for at grade LRT, thicker lines for grade seperated LRT or subway)

rUf6HEO.jpg

Why are you so against the SELRT, just because the subway is there? We've had that for years on at Kennedy station with the transfer.

Yes. The choice of technology on Sheppard was already made. I'd rather do small expansions along Sheppard as funds allow than waste money on an LRT here that no one wants. Better to use those funds on Finch or Don Mills.

Found this somewhere on the internet. Anyone want to add the spadina extension? :)

10285029244_c50e7ee57c_b.jpg

Last edited:
^^^

I live near that Subway. It has the most consistently incompetent service anywhere ever. Making a sandwich is like disarming a bomb to these folks.

Yes. The choice of technology on Sheppard was already made. I'd rather do small expansions along Sheppard as funds allow than waste money on an LRT here that no one wants. Better to use those funds on Finch or Don Mills.

So then if some want's to convert back to LRT(I'm against that, but let's play) you don't want that either? NYC was all streetcars until the early 1900's. Yonge was a streetcar until 60 years ago. Sheppard does not support the ridership unless we can leave it as is.(190 rocket) Otherwise I think the position was ridiculous. There is no difference between don mills and kennedy

I used to be very much against Sheppard East, but 2 things have pushed me to somewhat neutral on it:

1) With a Bloor-Danforth extension to Sheppard & McCowan, it will actually make the SELRT somewhat useful, since it will have connections to the subway system at 2 points instead of 1 (and yes I know the SELRT connected with the SLRT at Sheppard & Progress, but that interchange location never made any sense to me, and I don't think many people at all would use it that way).

2) The opening of the SELRT will not be that far ahead of the ECLRT. When people see the tunnelled portion of the ECLRT in operation, and see that it's the same as a subway, people will look at the two corridors and say "Hey wait a minute, I have don't have to transfer at Eglinton & Don Mills to continue eastward, but I do have to transfer at Sheppard & Don Mills? That doesn't make much sense."

When people see the ECLRT in operation, I think the voices crying for doing the same thing on Sheppard (tunnelled central portion, at-grade eastern portion) will grow louder. Especially when the math is worked out that a westward extension of the Sheppard Subway would be the same cost as a conversion of the existing subway + an LRT extension westward to Downsview.

Gweed123: I too think that Sheppard LRT will be more useful with the second connection to subway at McCowan.

Regarding the conversion of the existing subway tunnel to LRT, I doubt that it will ever happen. It would make perfect sense to build it that way from the beginning. But now when the subway is up and running, attempts to close it for conversion will be met with opposition from riders who walk or take a bus to Don Mills, or stations between Don Mills and Yonge.

Most likely, the transfer will exist for a few decades. After that, if the demand grows enough, part of the LRT will be replaced with subway.

I know that transfer is a nuisance, but think that we can live with one "linear" transfer in the system, as long as other such transfers (subway at Kennedy, Eglinton LRT at Mt Dennis, Finch West LRT at Keele) are resolved by extending the higher-order mode.

Gweed123: I too think that Sheppard LRT will be more useful with the second connection to subway at McCowan.

Regarding the conversion of the existing subway tunnel to LRT, I doubt that it will ever happen. It would make perfect sense to build it that way from the beginning. But now when the subway is up and running, attempts to close it for conversion will be met with opposition from riders who walk or take a bus to Don Mills, or stations between Don Mills and Yonge.

Most likely, the transfer will exist for a few decades. After that, if the demand grows enough, part of the LRT will be replaced with subway.

I know that transfer is a nuisance, but think that we can live with one "linear" transfer in the system, as long as other such transfers (subway at Kennedy, Eglinton LRT at Mt Dennis, Finch West LRT at Keele) are resolved by extending the higher-order mode.

I think that the conversion could theoretically be done over the span of a summer (say early May to early September). Ottawa recently shut down the entire O-Train line this summer, and had it re-opened in time for the start of Carleton's year. They shut it down to install passing tracks and rebuild some stations.

People accept replacing a streetcar line with buses for a summer in order to rebuild tracks, so why not a subway? Heck, they've basically rebuilt the Spadina streetcar line from scratch almost. It may be politically unpopular, but like I said, once people see Eglinton in operation I think they'll be more willing to implement a similar solution on Sheppard, especially if it connects with the stub line that will be the Finch West LRT.

Back