News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Demonstration always works. My other problem while I put it in my proposal, I don't think Mississauga residents are jumping for the BD right now.

That's very true. It's hard to really tell what Mississaugans want right now. It seems like the Hurontario LRT is the agreed upon priority, but beyond that it's kind of a schmorgesboard.

I think that my plan as I've presented it though leaves the most options open for future upgrades along corridors, while at the same time solving the problems that currently exist on those corridors. I say build the Hurontario LRT and the Dundas BRT, and see how travel patterns change and which sections of what lines are at or over capacity, and determine future transit priorities from there.

Here's something more along the lines of what I think Mississauga-Brampton commuters would really benefit from the most:

As you can see, the Hurontario LRT line is underground through most of urbanized Mississauga (from Port Credit to Matheson), elevated crossing highway 403. North of there it then switches to at-grade, although it is also elevated (bridge) when crossing highways 401 and 407. North of Charolais it operates in a side-of-roadway operation through the Etobicoke Creek valley until north of Nanwood Station where it dips underground to enter the Downtown Brampton area.

Rather than following the official LRT plan that has a split service through downtown Mississauga (one branch staying on Hurontario, the other diverting to Duke Of York), I have the main line completely divert over to Duke of York, with stations at Burnhamthorpe/Kariya, DOY/ Princess Royal and Rathburn/Station Gate. This can be done because the Robert Speck/Hurontario area will be served via an extension of the Bloor-Danforth subway line. The Square One Station would be a mega terminal, with the subway station offering direct underground access to the mall on one end, meeting an underground Mississauga Transitway BRT station and the LRT station on the other.

This not only addresses how to deal with sections of Hurontario where the road cannot be expanded for ROW (Port Credit, Cooksville, downtown Brampton), but caters to the busiest section of Dundas through eastern Mississauga, giving passengers originating in the Dundas corridor a faster alternative to the 1 + 19 if going towards Square One or Toronto (bypassing Cooksville altogether). Per this plan, we could keep the Dundas corridor as BRT continuous from Kipling Stn all the way to Hamilton.

Love the Peel map. If you're improving, the difference between underground and not is too similar width/colour wise for Hurontario.

Also, need to the add the Queen Street BRT in Brampton, which will probably be another major line (connects to Spadina extension in a few years).

It remains to be seen what kind of effect the Mississauga BRT will have on transit patterns in the city.

Homework for the map designers of Toronto: The Science of a Great Subway Map

It's funny, Toronto's subway map follows almost none of those rules. You'd be hard pressed to find 2 diagonal lines that are even the same angle, let alone on the standard 45º that most maps have. It only really works because there are too few lines to actually make it complicated.

It's funny, Toronto's subway map follows almost none of those rules. You'd be hard pressed to find 2 diagonal lines that are even the same angle, let alone on the standard 45º that most maps have. It only really works because there are too few lines to actually make it complicated.
It would be interesting to see if the Toronto subway map follow those rules a decade from now, when many new lines open.

My crazy never-ever-ever-ever-ever going to happen subway map:

sXZB4B6.jpg

I know this is a transit map thread, but has anybody on here ever taken a shot at redrawing the Toronto Wards? I think that would be a neat venture.

I know this is a transit map thread, but has anybody on here ever taken a shot at redrawing the Toronto Wards? I think that would be a neat venture.

I've done fare zones and municipal boundaries within the GTHA, but not ward boundaries, haha. You're right, it would be an interesting exercise though.

When we redraw Toronto wards, they should be very much have equal population (within ±1% of the average).

In the past the ward boundaries were based on the federal or provincial ones. Currently are 23 ridings in Toronto and one of those is split about 50/50 with Pickering so if we had been keeping up with how the province and federal government are drawing the lines there would be 22.5 * 2 = 45 wards (Scarborough currently underrepresented comparatively by 1 councillor). The redistribution happening now at the federal level will change this further to have 25 ridings in the city (an additional 1/2 riding in Scarborough, 1 riding in North York, and 1 downtown) which under the old ward mapping method would yield 50 councillors but perhaps now is the time to go to a councillor system based on one councillor per city federal riding (25 councillors).

... perhaps now is the time to go to a councillor system based on one councillor per city federal riding (25 councillors).

Maybe, but only if their budgets are doubled (perhaps 2/3rds increase).

It's generally assumed that half the councillors would mean half the cost but I won't think that would work well for getting stuff done.

You could see the impact of Ford shrinking the mayors budget by 20% immediately on taking office. Either that or the staff quality went through the floor. With Miller, if you needed something done, his staff were able to direct you to the right place. With Ford, you were lucky to get a response at all during the first 9 months (before the distractions began).

Last edited:

Back