8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

ZRSoVbo.jpg

my official map, Blue = BRT, Red = Streetcar ROW, black = AD2W GO

Made some changes:

- Extended the Bloor-Subway westbound to Queensway. Might as well if we’re going to extend to East Mall to build the DRL rail yard.

- I feel that there should be a transportation hub built at Roncesvalles to shift GO rail passengers coming from the Lakeshore West line away from Union Station. Rather then going to Union and transferring to the Yonge-University Subway, they go to Roncesvalles and transfer onto the DRL (Toronto Crosstown) to get downtown. I would hope that this would mean that some of the trains on the Lakeshore West (GO) line could terminate at Roncesvalles so that more space will be available for other trains at Union.

- Changed the alignment of DRL east, so that it could get direct access to Greenwood yard (as recommended by Steve Munro). It now connects to the Danforth subway at Donlands and has two more stations at Degrassi and Gerrard.

- And it case it wasn’t obvious, Eglinton isn’t a heavy rail metro. It's light rail.

Try PDFs if images aren't loading.

44623_Map_v_4.png

Large PNG, PDF

And a grade map:

81331_Grade_v_3.png

Large PNG, PDF

I'm sorry, but I think it's completely nuts to divert Lakeshore West (the busiest GO line) to some station near Bathurst. It makes zero sense. You'd piss off a LOT of GO riders. Burying Lakeshore and building a Union 2 station makes more sense.

Yes, but there is also a line going up Don Mills that would share tracks with the Scarborough line. Expensive realignment of tracks in the bloor-danforth tunnels also has to be accounted for,

As far as I can see, there wouldn't be any tracks in the bloor-danforth tunnels will have to be realigned. All it would need is a new crossover track just west of Victoria Park Station, which is at grade.

and of course the extra 4km of tunnels. $1.5-$2 billion in costs to eliminate a transfer..

It's about ~1.6 km of tunnel. The rest runs at-grade.

Yes, but there is also a line going up Don Mills that would share tracks with the Scarborough line. Expensive realignment of tracks in the bloor-danforth tunnels also has to be accounted for, and of course the extra 4km of tunnels. $1.5-$2 billion in costs to eliminate a transfer..

I did not understand the proposal at hand properly. I could not find the post, but I think it was Gweed that was that last to comment on the following type of solution:

1. Scarborough Line from Sheppard/McCowan to Kennedy, follow existing subway line to Vic Park, then follow rail corridor to +/- Queen/Eastern, then to downtown.
  2. Bloor-Danforth Line from Vic Park to Kipling, with Kipling being an interchange station.
  3. Don Mills LRT from Finch to Pape Ave., with last part underground for interchange with B-D Subway and Scarborough Subway.

you can't run at grade in the rail corridor, there is no space.

I know. Expropiate the properties and widen the corridor. Its lined by warehouses, fields and single family homes.

The biggest obstical to this would be opposion from residents. But this would hardly be the first time we've done this in Toronto.

Last edited:
another mock.jpg

Something Ford wants, I think. I still think the Finch LRT will be built either way. But I bet Ford will want the sheppard subway

Attachments

• another mock.jpg
    another mock.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 642
Hey guys, I'd like your critique of my map. My goal was to make one that was better than the official map.

TTC 2054 (v0.9) by BB ON, on Flickr

(I've since corrected Dundas West and Fairview not having square dots)

The design looks very nice. The TTC could learn a thing or two from you.

I'd just change the colour of Finch West. It looks too similar to Yonge.

Hey guys, I'd like your critique of my map. My goal was to make one that was better than the official map.

TTC 2054 (v0.9) by BB ON, on Flickr

(I've since corrected Dundas West and Fairview not having square dots)

Looks good! One stylistic change I'd make though is making stop bubbles on at-grade lines slightly smaller (perhaps proportionate with the line width?) compared to the full station bubbles on the grade-separated lines. The line weight to compare grade-separated vs not is good, I think just the stations could benefit from the same contrast.

Also, what's going on with the Bloor-Danforth line in Scarborough? It looks to be using the SRT alignment, only with fewer stops. Based on what has gone on recently in council, I think it's following the Danforth-McCowan alignment. Either that or it will revert back to the original alignment using LRT.

The design looks very nice. The TTC could learn a thing or two from you.

I'd just change the colour of Finch West. It looks too similar to Yonge.

Thanks. I was aiming for the color used in their new wayfinding guide here (page 29)

All the colors I picked are very distinct - are you colorblind by any chance? Is there anything I can do to improve readability?

Also, what's going on with the Bloor-Danforth line in Scarborough? It looks to be using the SRT alignment, only with fewer stops. Based on what has gone on recently in council, I think it's following the Danforth-McCowan alignment. Either that or it will revert back to the original alignment using LRT.

I went with the provincial alignment because it hits STC and Centennial. McCowan alignment wouldn't get near STC unless it ducked west. Also, since eglinton goes further east, I didn't think it made sense to send the subway that way as well. But that's just my design choice, you're free to disagree.

Last edited:

Great map. One small change I would make is to put the line number circles at both ends of each line, rather than one circle arbitrarily somewhere along the line. It would make distinguishing the long lines easier.

I find it odd that your map shows subways extending into the far reaches of York Region, but nothing to Misssissauga City Centre.

I find it odd that your map shows subways extending into the far reaches of York Region, but nothing to Misssissauga City Centre.

York's shown a willingness to throw money at subways. Major Mack's not that far from RHC/VMC which can be inexpensively reached by trench in a straight line. MCC, despite being roughly the same distance away, is in the middle of nowhere relatively speaking. I think it makes more sense to have a dedicated GO spur there and to have connections at Dixie and Highway 427.

zT5kWrb.jpg

The other answer is I wanted at least one ridiculous extension on my map.

You do know that both of those alignments are running in the middle of creek beds, yes? Even if they were tunnelled, I'd imagine you'd run into some serious water table issues.

Back