News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

McCowan will be more expensive then the SRT route.

That doesn't mean that this subway extension has to follow the SRT route. Seems the McCowan is the preferred route at this point and chances are that is what the route will be. The only level of government that is proposing the SRT route is the provincial Liberals, but I think they'll easily swing over to the McCowan route once the McCowan route gets full recommendation once the first EAs on both routes are complete.

Despite protests I'm keeping streetcars in, because I want to illustrate the highest bandwidth routes.

You can certainly keep them in, this your map.

But mixed-traffic streetcars are not necessarily higher bandwidth than buses. The level of street congestion matters along with the vehicle size.

For tourists, there is no benefit of taking a mixed-traffic streetcar over taking a bus. And locals will use the full map (with all routes) anyway.

That doesn't mean that this subway extension has to follow the SRT route. Seems the McCowan is the preferred route at this point and chances are that is what the route will be. The only level of government that is proposing the SRT route is the provincial Liberals, but I think they'll easily swing over to the McCowan route once the McCowan route gets full recommendation once the first EAs on both routes are complete.

same price.

No way innsert! McCowan will be tunnled all the way to McCowan Sheppard, that's nearly 4 billion. The STC route hits higher density targets.

Metrolinx did a report on it, $3.1 billion for the old LRT route and $3.3 for the McCowen route. the TTC has funding for both and the McCowen route is better for operations so that is likely what will be chosen.

Metrolinx did a report on it, $3.1 billion for the old LRT route and $3.3 for the McCowen route. the TTC has funding for both and the McCowen route is better for operations so that is likely what will be chosen.

Okay then. Then my issue is the McCowan route passing STC on the right side, rather then going under STC with the SRT route. Oh well. I guess it will be where the current McCowan SRT station is.

Last edited:
By then the new TC sets will be retired and replaced with Sky Trollies, so there'll be no mixed traffic issues. Same with the downtown streetcars.

I've made this animated timeline of rapid transit projects coming to Toronto. Thanks to over $23 Billion in investments from all levels of government (mainly the Province of Ontario), Toronto will more than double the size its Subway/Rapid Transit network to a size of over 140 km by 2027.

QpViGkc.gif

Values are approximate and subject to change.

Last edited:
I would reverse the DRL and yonge extensions, the DRL will be first. Metrolinx has been very clear about that. Maybe stick them in the same year or the yonge line a year behind it. I still beleive that we will be looking at a 2025 completion of the DRL as well. I would also differentiate between surface LRT and metro rapid transit, and change the colour of the sheppard LRT to make it clearer that it isn't a sheppard subway extension. Make the dates run slower and smoother as well. Yonge extension won't be that long either, maybe cut it back a little bit, and have it curve to the east a little just before it ends to account for the location of RHC station.

Otherwise, great work!

Last edited:
Thanks to over $23 Billion in investments from all levels of government (mainly the Province of Ontario), Toronto will more than double the size its Subway/Rapid Transit network to a size of over 140 km by 2027.

I'll believe it when I see it.

My Fantasy for future VIVA service. I included little symbols to show where subway and GO connections are. VIVA White is probably the lowest priority, as it is largely there to serve as a connector for downtown markham and the buttonville airport redevelopment.

Frequency (peak)

BLUE: 5 (3) NORTH OF BERNARD: 10 (6)
PURPLE: 5 (3)
ORANGE: 7 (5)
GREEN: 8 (5)
YELLOW: 10 (6)
RED: 10 (5)
WHITE: 10 (6)
RxUfZym.jpg

Last edited:
I've made this animated timeline of rapid transit projects coming to Toronto. Thanks to over $23 Billion in investments from all levels of government (mainly the Province of Ontario), Toronto will more than double the size its Subway/Rapid Transit network to a size of over 140 km by 2027.

QpViGkc.gif

Values are approximate and subject to change.
This is sick. Great Job Tiger! :)

View attachment 20344

Just quick mockup of the Scarborough Subway. Will an extension to finch ever be needed?

If they realize that doing so would divert some ridership from Yonge. However, first, IMHO, a stop at Danforth Rd. should be considered since it would actually be in one of the densest areas of Scarborough.

Last edited:

Back