News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

With many GO train lines becoming All Day very soon, or at least after RER, it would be nice to see them on the map too, within the Toronto borders. Maybe very subtly, like sort of in behind the TTC map, with the stations being shown (and something like "separate fare required" beside them)
Yeah, maybe a more Toronto-focused version of this GO Transit map. If you look closely, all day service is a solid line and peak-only is dashed. In the future, solid line could be 15 minute service and dashed could be 30–60 minute on the TTC map.

Yeah, maybe a more Toronto-focused version of this GO Transit map. If you look closely, all day service is a solid line and peak-only is dashed. In the future, solid line could be 15 minute service and dashed could be 30–60 minute on the TTC map.
View attachment 211433

This map is great I wish there was a high res version.

Although they need to make people more aware the boundaries of Toronto. A line showing the toronto boundaries and then the extra GO stations kind of stacked up after the boundary just to indicate "this is what is in Toronto area somewhat to scale, and the stuff outside the box is regional service to other cities.

This makes it look like Barrie is an arms throw from Vaughan.

Below are two lines that I believe would be good candidates for the first BRT lines entirely within Toronto.

Etobicoke BRT.png

This is my idea for an Etobicoke BRT that uses a portion of the hydro corridor, but largely sticks to arterial roads that could probably lose a lane or two.

I'm sure not all of the stops are necessary (particularly New Toronto, Bloor, and Belfield) and a Westway stop might be warranted, but those are edge cases in my opinion. The line will connect with the 501 streetcar, a future Queensway RT (whatever it is), Line 2 and Milton GO, the Eglinton West LRT at Martin Grove, Kitchener GO at a future Woodbine station, and with Finch West at Humber College. In the case of a Finch West extension, this BRT route can be truncated to the Woodbine GO station. I think BRT works better for this route as it can use the hydro corridor through the stagnant- er, STABLE neighbourhoods of central Etobicoke, and a future LRT could be shifted eastwards.

Kingston BRT.png

This is the Kingston BRT. I decided to terminate the line in the Danforth-Main area, which has the potential to become a prominent, if somewhat disjointed, transit hub. Not much new to say here, except that the Danforth-Kingston weaving should probably be demolished and replaced with a proper intersection first. Northeast of Eglinton, I think the line should serve as the "local" RT, allowing the Crosstown East to pass over some or all of the stops before Ellesmere.

If anything, I'd say the Eglinton line could be split - with some overlap. From Pearson to Science Centre as the West one, and Kennedy (or Malvern) to Mount Dennis as the East one.
Of course running a long line is nowhere near as difficult in non-rush, so it would be 1 long line when frequencies are 4 minutes or less.
(of course that on-street Leslie portion really screwed up a lot of things).
Why not a mix up of the two? On weekends and off peak hours, we could have a straight Pearson to Malvern Town Centre service and during rush hours, A split service from Pearson to Kennedy as the west service and Mount Dennis to Malvern Town Centre as the East.

Why not a mix up of the two? On weekends and off peak hours, we could have a straight Pearson to Malvern Town Centre service and during rush hours, A split service from Pearson to Kennedy as the west service and Mount Dennis to Malvern Town Centre as the East.
Because Laird to Kennedy is on-street, you have to have half capacity / half frequency for this portion. That's why I suggested the East split at Laird.

Below are two lines that I believe would be good candidates for the first BRT lines entirely within Toronto.

View attachment 212928

This is my idea for an Etobicoke BRT that uses a portion of the hydro corridor, but largely sticks to arterial roads that could probably lose a lane or two.

I'm sure not all of the stops are necessary (particularly New Toronto, Bloor, and Belfield) and a Westway stop might be warranted, but those are edge cases in my opinion. The line will connect with the 501 streetcar, a future Queensway RT (whatever it is), Line 2 and Milton GO, the Eglinton West LRT at Martin Grove, Kitchener GO at a future Woodbine station, and with Finch West at Humber College. In the case of a Finch West extension, this BRT route can be truncated to the Woodbine GO station. I think BRT works better for this route as it can use the hydro corridor through the stagnant- er, STABLE neighbourhoods of central Etobicoke, and a future LRT could be shifted eastwards.
Distant future, BRT or LRT the entire length of Kipling.
Shorter term, BRT along 427/27, with stops at Humber, Woodbine, Pearson, Renforth (Eglinton Line), Honeydale (B-D Line) and Long Branch.

Great article in the Globe about this. Just need good bus feeder service.

Personally, I found the article quite lazy and obvious. Everyone knows that a strong network with high arrival frequencies will lead to high ridership, that should be obvious to anyone studying transportation engineering. What I find more interesting is the connectivity between modes, and how they affect ridership. To me, that is a far more interesting thesis.

@north-of-anything Nice maps, as always. Care to take a stab at a fantasy higher order east west Toronto line?
See, if you ask me, you just need to put ATC and platform doors on Line 2 from Kipling to Kennedy. There's not as much potential for a comprehensive east-west route outside of that corridor, Eglinton, and Steeles (which I already covered with my VIVA Red/Maroon idea).

For the next east-west route, we need a proper (subway) Relief Line supplemented with a higher-order line on Lawrence East. If someone needs to get all the way to the other end of the city, ideally they should be able to take a GO train to connect to an appropriate north-south route.

Distant future, BRT or LRT the entire length of Kipling.
Shorter term, BRT along 427/27, with stops at Humber, Woodbine, Pearson, Renforth (Eglinton Line), Honeydale (B-D Line) and Long Branch.
Your "shorter term" route assumes that Line 2 will be extended westwards, which is a nice thought but I don't see it happening. I think it's better to reinforce Kipling as the hub of southwest Toronto.

See, if you ask me, you just need to put ATC and platform doors on Line 2 from Kipling to Kennedy. There's not as much potential for a comprehensive east-west route outside of that corridor, Eglinton, and Steeles (which I already covered with my VIVA Red/Maroon idea).

For the next east-west route, we need a proper (subway) Relief Line supplemented with a higher-order line on Lawrence East. If someone needs to get all the way to the other end of the city, ideally they should be able to take a GO train to connect to an appropriate north-south route.

Your "shorter term" route assumes that Line 2 will be extended westwards, which is a nice thought but I don't see it happening. I think it's better to reinforce Kipling as the hub of southwest Toronto.
I think the B-D extension is the #1 priority in Toronto. It is a simple at-grade extension that could ease the connection of many bus routes including Mississauga and GO. It would also show the City that not all rapid transit needs to be underground.

Extending subway and moving the GO station to Shorncliffe is enough to intercept and shorten a plethora of TTC and MiWay routes and take many buses off of Dundas. Extending subway all the way into Mississauga would only affect 1/101 Dundas/Express. Dundas definitely has enough ridership and density for light rail but maybe not subway. There is some merit to connecting subway system to the Hurontario LRT, and most of the redevelopment potential is on Dundas East so LRT west of Hurontario is not really needed anyways, but maybe there are more urgent priorities for the GTA.

I think Lawrence East and Wilson LRTs should have been the priorities for Toronto, LRT-wise, just based on the Avenues plan. Finch was a mistake, and of course Eglinton is too narrow for LRT anyways.

Lawrence and Wilson should have BRTs. Cheaper, similar capacity, and just as effective.

We need all big-dollar rail-transit investment be directed towards the Relief Line / Ontario Line. Extending the proposed line to Sheppard and Don Mills would do more than either BRT or LRT on Lawrence or Wilson.

Lawrence and Wilson should have BRTs. Cheaper, similar capacity, and just as effective.

We need all big-dollar rail-transit investment be directed towards the Relief Line / Ontario Line. Extending the proposed line to Sheppard and Don Mills would do more than either BRT or LRT on Lawrence or Wilson.
Wilson definitely should be a BRT, but I think Lawrence should be an LRT because it has more redevelopment potential. I wouldn't be heartbroken if it was made BRT, but it definitely needs to come after Don Mills rapid transit is put into place.

Back