8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

lead82

Member Bio
Reaction score
Now that Toronto has won the 2015 PanAm Games, what if any additional transit improvements will the governments be paying for?

I heard that the Scarborough - Malvern LRT line will be built to connect to the new aquatic centre at UTSC.

Will the Spadina extension to York U be open in time for the games? Will we have any airport rail connection by then?

Those are the only projects that come to mind which would be related to the games.

The DRL East would be a good connector for the athlete's village which will be in the West Donlands.
Depends on the alignment ... I doubt there will be a station much south of Queen (King I note isn't much south of Queen around there). It will still be a bit of a hike.

But surely DRL is not part of what's being considered for the PanAm games ... it's only 6 years, which might be just enough time to build a subway if you start digging soon; but not enough to do the pre-assessment, ESA, design, and construction.

I'd think the only addtional TTC things that might happen is that the Scarborough-Malvern might received funding (and perhaps this is why it is the only line other than Scarborough East to have completed it's EA), and there would be a push to have a first phase of the Eglinton RT from Eglinton West to Pearson completed, ahead of the original 2016 first opening (not sure which piece that was to have been).

Downsview to STC and Kennedy to STC is a must...
no brainer PERIOD

SELRT will not do...

No excuses, the Ontario government will cover any deficit (national Post).
At this stage , why not ask for Subways????

no brainer PERIOD

SELRT will not do...

My gosh ... are people here really this naive? This would cement any existing plans; not open them up!

My gosh ... are people here really this naive? This would cement any existing plans; not open them up!

up to the next mayor...not me nor you have the final say...
That's how politics works...

RT as rapid transit???

We all know there isn't any rapid transit past Jane
I'm simply referring to the line as named in the funding document. Surely a debate about the appropriateness of the name is off-topic for the thread? Should we start a debate as well that much of the current Spadina subway isn't underground and can't be a subway?

no brainer PERIOD

SELRT will not do...

As nfitz said, there's less than 6 years, no way a subway will be built in that amount of time. The Spadina extension was fully funded almost 3 years ago and is still at least 6 years away..

I'm simply referring to the line as named in the funding document. Surely a debate about the appropriateness of the name is off-topic for the thread? Should we start a debate as well that much of the current Spadina subway isn't underground and can't be a subway?

ohhhhhh please...

Then Chicago L is not a subway or the subway in the suburb of New your should be call twin rail....

At least admit that Transit City minus underground Eglinton is being advertised as rapid Transit and it's a lie.

I was thinking a fair over-under on this thread devolving into a subway/TransitCity rehash was about 5 posts, but that was clearly too generous.

Seriously, guys, aren't four active threads already about this good enough for you to make the same points in over and over again?

ohhhhhh please...

Then Chicago L is not a subway or the subway in the suburb of New your should be call twin rail....

At least admit that Transit City minus underground Eglinton is being advertised as rapid Transit and it's a lie.
My point was that this is completely off-topic and an inappropriate thread to discuss this. Stop trolling and highjacking threads!

As nfitz said, there's less than 6 years, no way a subway will be built in that amount of time. The Spadina extension was fully funded almost 3 years ago and is still at least 6 years away..

I meant get funding, I don't care if its not ready. We already got the game, glorified streetcar or not. We need the funds while they are willing to write blank cheques.

If Toronto wants Olympic summer games ( which we all know we'll bid in the future)
Our subway system will be laughable...Believe it or not...It count's BIG time and Streetcar covering a city as big as Toronto will be severely judged...

Got Speed?

My point was that this is completely off-topic and an inappropriate thread to discuss this. Stop trolling and highjacking threads!

I was just rectifying a lie. Eglinton past Jane is not rapid Transit...Fact

I'm just excited we got the games as it means governments can't cancel transit plans half-way into construction to fight budget deficits.

The current list of SELRT, Eglinton LRT, Scarborough-Malvern and SRT extension will hopefully be done by that time.

Anyone know what does the $2.4B cover? Will there be any transit improvements or was that mostly for building the facilities and athletes village?

Back