News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Some interesting info from the article:

And the most interesting shifts in travel habits haven’t been the usual commuter, rush-hour trips, moving in and out of Toronto’s Union Station.

Mark Childs, chief marketing officer for Metrolinx, said offering customers more service and reasons to travel outside of rush hour service have been crucial for encouraging more people to choose GO.

That weekend and off-peak weekday ridership on GO is growing more than three times as fast as peak times.

“Additional weekend service, lower short distance fares and the new Sunday Funday $10 pass are helping boost our ridership demand. We introduced weekend service to Stouffville in 2019, which led to a 7.9 per cent increase in ridership on that line.

In total, more than 6.5 million riders jumped onboard per month in the fall – with September, October and November 2019 coming in as among the highest ridership months on record.

And December 2019 had the strongest year-over-year growth at 8.3 per cent, compared to December 2018.

Other notable stats include:

• A 26.4 per cent growth in weekend ridership to and from stations close to Union.
  • So far this year, Danforth, Scarborough and Kennedy continue to be popular, with 27.7 per cent, 22.2 per cent and 26.3 per cent more customers boarding at those stations.
  • Almost 10 per cent more customers took UP Express so far this year.

Honestly I don't imagine it'll change that much. I imagine the vast majority of GO-TTC fare discounts are issued at Union Station for subway transfers.

I wonder what the ridership will be like at 416 GO Stations once the GO-TTC discount disappears at the end of next month.

Exactly what I was thinking. With the GO/TTC discount, far more Torontonians themselves were taking GO which is why some of the biggest station increases happened in the city itself. Now with that about to end and everyone in inner city Toronto seeing their fares increase by $3 a day, many will return to their habits of just taking the TTC to go downtown.

Brampton Transit ridership per month going back to 2006
1582243219531.png

Transit Ridership per month in graph form
1582243240070.png

As you can see, the weather in February destroyed their ridership

PS, I forgot to mention, the overall reason for such poor ridership growth is that it is out of capacity on the major routes, to the point where some of the routes are exceeding crush load numbers on a daily basis.

Last edited:
1583002378565.png

Brampton Transit ridership data with 2020 January plotted (the blue dot) this is the sixth highest ridership month recorded by Brampton Transit, and every year going back to 2006, the January number has been a bit below that year's monthly average. It is entirely possible for Brampton Transit to witness a ridership for 2020 of 37 million.

Brampton Transit ridership per month going back to 2006
View attachment 232176

Transit Ridership per month in graph form
View attachment 232177

As you can see, the weather in February destroyed their ridership

PS, I forgot to mention, the overall reason for such poor ridership growth is that it is out of capacity on the major routes, to the point where some of the routes are exceeding crush load numbers on a daily basis.

As a York Region resident/transit user, this makes me sad.

TTC adequate for first time in 40 years

From https://www.thebeaverton.com/2020/03/ttc-adequate-for-first-time-in-40-years/.

Bragging that it had been “two whole days” since they had to use shuttle buses, authorities report that for the first time since the late 20th century, Toronto’s mass transit system has the capacity to reliably handle the city’s transportation needs.

“The TTC has been consulting with experts as this crisis develops,” said TTC spokesperson Stuart Green, “and we are proud to report that for the first time since 1981, the majority of riders were able to get on the Dufferin bus on their first try.”

Further tests confirmed a lack of delays, and an increasing number of rides that commuters described as “okay” and “pleasant”.

“Oh, I get it now,” said commuter Mary Silva, as her streetcar swiftly travelled down Queen Street, free of traffic and short turns. “This is how my parents must have felt when they took the streetcar.”

The 31 year old, who isn’t wealthy enough to stop going to work and self-isolate, first noticed something was different when the Presto card reader was able to read her card and deduct her fare without having to wave it repeatedly in front of the reader or look to the driver to wave her in.

“I thought, ‘okay, that’s weird,’” said Silva, describing her experience. “But when I was actually able to get a seat, that’s when I knew something was really up. Like, all right, what the hell is going on?”

Commuters aren’t the only ones adapting to this blast from the past. TTC staff are also coping with occurrences not experienced in over a generation.

“I’m not going to lie and say it’s easy,” says operator Dale Mulkin. “It’s hard enough getting used to the functioning signal system, but did you know that when I said something over the intercom yesterday everyone in that carriage was able to discern what I was saying? The elders spoke of a time when announcements could be understood, but we always thought it was mere legend, a fantasy borne of perms, leg warmers, and cocaine.”

Municipal officials are taking the opportunity to learn as much as possible.

“When 1 PM rolled around and I realized there had been no reports of delays, derailments, power outages, fires, or fatalities from the TTC, well, I had to go see it for myself,” said Mayor John Tory, glancing around the train in awe as he took in his first ever subway ride.

“You know, this is actually really good,” he remarked, taking in the calm and speed of his journey.

“Maybe I should have used all that Gardiner money for this instead,” he pondered aloud, before adding, “Nah.”

I stumbled upon the Transportation Tomorrow Survey and noticed it had ridership statistics for various municipalities around the Region. These are supposedly boarding counts taken in Fall 2016.

I think it is noteworthy because it gives a snapshot of some regional transit agencies which don't post ridership numbers of their routes. Scroll to the end for GO Bus Ridership numbers.

I excluded screenshots of the York Region Transit and TTC numbers because we have more recent and reliable numbers from their respective websites.

Durham Region Transit

1584831478644.png

Mississauga Mi-Way Transit

1584831575477.png

1584831598301.png

Brampton Transit

1584831686204.png

1584831713048.png

Hamilton Transit

1584831741871.png

Niagara Falls Transit

1584831801046.png

St Catharines Transit

1584831884230.png

Grand River Transit (Region of Waterloo)

1584831989078.png

Guelph Transit

1584832027839.png

Barrie Transit

1584832048412.png

GO Transit

1584832109857.png

1584832125836.png

1584832140202.png

I stumbled upon the Transportation Tomorrow Survey and noticed it had ridership statistics for various municipalities around the Region. These are supposedly boarding counts taken in Fall 2016.

I think it is noteworthy because it gives a snapshot of some regional transit agencies which don't post ridership numbers of their routes. Scroll to the end for GO Bus Ridership numbers.

I excluded screenshots of the York Region Transit and TTC numbers because we have more recent and reliable numbers from their respective websites.

Durham Region Transit

View attachment 237356

Mississauga Mi-Way Transit

View attachment 237357
View attachment 237358

Brampton Transit

View attachment 237359
View attachment 237360

Hamilton Transit

View attachment 237361

Niagara Falls Transit

View attachment 237362

St Catharines Transit

View attachment 237363

Grand River Transit (Region of Waterloo)

View attachment 237365

Guelph Transit

View attachment 237366

Barrie Transit

View attachment 237367

GO Transit

View attachment 237368
View attachment 237369
View attachment 237370
GAH

The GRT's route 31 has really solid ridership and still won't get weekend service? Ugh.

Back