News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

If going by popular vote of the forum elder sages, I would say Toronto needs a Spanish solution.

I have no idea who or what it is or if it's even necessary but it sure makes myself feel more worldly, sophisticated, intelligent, and important than if I had never said it at all.

If going by popular vote of the forum elder sages, I would say Toronto needs a Spanish solution.

I have no idea who or what it is or if it's even necessary but it sure makes myself feel more worldly, sophisticated, intelligent, and important than if I had never said it at all.

Well said, haha.

FYI, a Spanish Solution is a subway platform arrangement that allows for more efficient passenger flow. You have 2 outside platforms and one centre platform. People board on the outside platforms, and exit onto the centre platform. It reduces dwell times at stations by not forcing boarding passengers to wait until everyone has gotten off the train, since they're exiting from the door on the opposite side.

Doesnt Kennedy Station (SRT) and Sheppard-Yonge Station (Sheppard Line, unused) already have the Spanish solution?

Bwahahah, yes! Spanish solution at every station!

I guess my "fantasy" wish list would be glass platform doors at some of the busiest stations (Bloor Yonge) for reliability & safety. I know, wild one eh.

The most likely first "epic" bridge will be the one constructed for the DRL to cross the Don Valley if it ever makes it up to Eglinton. I suspect a large cable stayed structure much like what exists in Vancouver, they will probably want to go with a single pier model to minimize environmental damage that the multi pier beam and arch bridge designs that are currently used to bridge the valley.

I fear that this will never happen unless there is an engineering or financial benefit to doing so. Knowing this city, we'd be content with a slab of concrete hanging over Don.

Bwahahah, yes! Spanish solution at every station!

I guess my "fantasy" wish list would be glass platform doors at some of the busiest stations (Bloor Yonge) for reliability & safety. I know, wild one eh.

Oh man, that got me laughing.

Folks, what's the solution to all our problems? The Spanish Solution!

Spanish Solution at Bassarion. Spanish Solution at Bay! Spanish Solution at Old Mill! Spanish Solution on 510 Spadina! Spanish Solution at every bus and streetcar stop! I don't know what it does or how much it costs, but with a name like that, it must be f-king awesome!

Doesnt Kennedy Station (SRT) and Sheppard-Yonge Station (Sheppard Line, unused) already have the Spanish solution?

Yup.

Curiously, the Spanish Solution at Kennedy (SRT) was "accidental". If you look to the west of Kennedy (SRT) Station, you'll see a streetcar loop, since the SRT was intended for light rail operations. LRVs coming from the north would have had their passengers alight on the platform on the north side of the station, swing around the loop and then collect passengers on the south side of the station, before heading north to McCowan Station. IIRC, the decision to go with ICTS technology was made after construction had begun (or at least very late in design phase), so I suppose they decided that they'd be better off keeping the dual platform design, even though it wasn't needed. If they intended to go with ICTS from the beginning, the legendary Kennedy Spanish Solution probably wouldn't be there.

When I see the phrase "Spanish Solution", oftentimes a midday siesta comes to mind. And this Kids in the Hall skit:

[video=youtube;toFwUGusdK0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toFwUGusdK0[/video]

Spanish Solution at Bassarion. Spanish Solution at Bay! Spanish Solution at Old Mill! Spanish Solution on 510 Spadina! Spanish Solution at every bus and streetcar stop! I don't know what it does or how much it costs, but with a name like that, it must be f-king awesome!
I can imagine the Super Bowl commercial. With beautiful spanish men & women involved.

Now on topic, an interesting "dream" transit project might be gondolas down the Don Valley. Scenery and public transit.

Woah slow down Mr. Ambitious, I don't know if I can handle all of this.

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

Attachments

• watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png
    watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png
    152.7 KB · Views: 591
Last edited:
Yonge is very likely to get lane reductions in 2016, though full pedestrianization is still a whiles off.

Not good enough.

In a city of 7 million is it so much to ask to have one street where pedestrians are king? In the tens of thousands of km of roads in Toronto is it so much to ask to ask the cars to stay off just one of them for a couple km?

Not good enough.

In a city of 7 million is it so much to ask to have one street where pedestrians are king? In the tens of thousands of km of roads in Toronto is it so much to ask to ask the cars to stay off just one of them for a couple km?

I would pick a street that does not have an exit from a major highway. There are plenty of streets that are a couple of km's long that could be used.

Oh man, that got me laughing.

Folks, what's the solution to all our problems? The Spanish Solution!

Nobody expects the Spanish Solution!

spanish.jpg

Attachments

• spanish.jpg
    spanish.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 644
Last edited:
You want an epic bridge? Since ferries appear to be bunk, why not the most epic bridge (ever!)....to Rochester. It can take off from the Portlands, right beside the world's most epic ferris wheel and monorail. Epic!

Back