News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

A pedestrian street doesn't have to be Yonge (although the busiest parts of Yonge could sure work), it doesn't have to be a couple kilometers long, and it doesn't have to be only one street.. Most pedestrian streets I've seen are only a few blocks long, if not shorter, and they're all over major cities. Side streets can work just as well as main ones if the uses are right.

In any case, I always thought a gondola to the islands would be a good idea.

You want an epic bridge? Since ferries appear to be bunk, why not the most epic bridge (ever!)....to Rochester. It can take off from the Portlands, right beside the world's most epic ferris wheel and monorail. Epic!

I don't think an epic ferris wheel is a bad idea. If a developer wanted to build the worlds largest epic ferris wheel, I'd happily approve.

If we should build any "epic" transportation project, how about a $100 billion 16-lane tunneled southern extension of the Allen, all the way to the Gardiner?

A pedestrian street doesn't have to be Yonge (although the busiest parts of Yonge could sure work), it doesn't have to be a couple kilometers long, and it doesn't have to be only one street.. Most pedestrian streets I've seen are only a few blocks long, if not shorter, and they're all over major cities. Side streets can work just as well as main ones if the uses are right.

In any case, I always thought a gondola to the islands would be a good idea.

What you're describing already exists: at Yonge & Dundas, walk north 1 block to the new Ryerson building, turn right, and you're facing a short pedestrian only side-street. There's a nice pond where people skate, a coffee shop, outdoor seating.

But yeah, there should probably be more of them. Maybe something like Baldwin between McCaul & Beverley. It's a nice narrow street full of restaurants.

If we should build any "epic" transportation project, how about a $100 billion 16-lane tunneled southern extension of the Allen, all the way to the Gardiner?
Why stop at the Gardiner? If you keep going you can hit St. Catherine's, and tie in with the 406. Imagine St. Catherine's to the Gardiner in only 30 minutes!

About the same length as the Channel Tunnel ...

What you're describing already exists: at Yonge & Dundas, walk north 1 block to the new Ryerson building, turn right, and you're facing a short pedestrian only side-street. There's a nice pond where people skate, a coffee shop, outdoor seating.

But yeah, there should probably be more of them. Maybe something like Baldwin between McCaul & Beverley. It's a nice narrow street full of restaurants.

Yup, Ryerson has done a great job with that street. I'd love to see more of that around Toronto. Something needs to be done with Yonge either way, even if it's just the current plan to widen the sidewalks. Those narrow sidewalks are downright dangerous for the crowds that use them.

That sounds like an epic fail.

Anyone still remember this guy? Epic fail indeed.

4730601829_a5fdc0a7f2.jpg

HSR to New York, Chicago, and Montreal.

Express subway line built along Yonge street like in NYC

Bike lane network that is actually similar to the Dutch networks

Tunnelled Highway 400 (yes, not Allen Road) to meet up with tunnelled Gardiner

all transit projects ever even dreamed of actually built

Tunnelled Highway 400 (yes, not Allen Road) to meet up with tunnelled Gardiner

I accept this if everything between Spadina and Jarvis south of Queen is reduced to 1-lane streets with huge sidewalks and dedicated LRT lanes. Skydome can be replaced with a 50 storey parking cube (~2600 cars per storey will fit on the lot) that the highway runs into.

Last edited:
Here are some ideas:

• Maglev from Chicago to Quebec City via Toronto
• Pneumatic tubes throughout Toronto
• Expand the PATH network so that it would be an actual underground city

I see a lot of great ideas, one in particular is the idea of closing down a street for the benefit of those on foot. IMO a large downtown pedestrian plaza is vital, and we have the enormous numbers of pedestrians to prove the viability without having to do some feasibility study. We need it, our sidewalks are oftentimes too narrow (especially during events, but even at rush hour), and it makes sense. It's a damn shame we had that nasty sack of crap for a mayor in the last term, whining on his radio show how his "constituents" can't drive their '98 Sunfire on Gould. Big whoop. A few weeks back I flipped through my Unbuilt Toronto, and I recall a rendering showing roads tunneled downtown, with the street above open to pedestrians. I'd say why not?

Another idea that I think is great, and makes sense since Toronto was chosen for its harbour and waterfront, is to use the water for our transport advantage. In Unbuilt Toronto there's mention of a "Toronto and Georgian Bay Ship Channel". Although that would be pretty cool had it been built, I was thinking more along the lines of ferries or more use of personal watercraft. I know Tory was laughed off for mentioning ferries as a transit solution in our future. But with a developed Port Lands and Keating District, I don't see why it couldn't work for intra-Toronto/GTA travel. Or even without the ferry, to take a jet ski from the Shipping Channel at Leslie to downtown...that'd be pretty sweet.

If you're going to close a street for pedestrians I'd suggest Queen Street between Spadina and University. You could still have the streetcars and local traffic, but make it discontinuous for cars so through-traffic would have to take Richmond or Adelaide.

Back