News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I hope Vaughan wins.

He's precisely the kind of bulldog the City of Toronto needs in Ottawa.

Last edited:
Quite the overlap between Rosario Marchese's supporters and Adam Vaughan's supporters apparently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgq5PRJ5SDQ&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkkTie8bXIs

They are both outstanding individuals, and have always shared the same supporter base. Getting Adam on board in TrinSpa was a great move for Trudeau. I'm a member of the Liberal party but have always supported Rosario provincially. Unfortunately, I will not be doing so this year due to the NDP's decision to bring down the government. Nothing to do with Rosario, just a protest vote against the NDP.

I was at the nomination meeting and everyone was talking about how funny it was to be supporting the Liberals after being NDP members for so long.

The Liberals also released polling info days before the vote showing that Vaughan would win if an election were held today with over 50% of the vote. Any other candidate would have lost by 20% to the NDP.

Unfortunately, I will not be doing so this year due to the NDP's decision to bring down the government.

Me neither. Rosario has been working pretty hard, but I can't in good conscience back the ONDP under Andrea Horwath's leadership.

The Liberals also released polling info days before the vote showing that Vaughan would win if an election were held today with over 50% of the vote. Any other candidate would have lost by 20% to the NDP.

Don't doubt that at all.

Me neither. Rosario has been working pretty hard, but I can't in good conscience back the ONDP under Andrea Horwath's leadership.

I told him he will get my vote for his work, but that it's a vote for him and not for the NDP/Horwath. How else should I vote in Trinity-Spadina, anyway? Spoil my ballot?

I still believe that a large part of one's vote should be for the representative. I have voted against the party I supported the most when its candidate was awful.

Last edited:
I still believe that a large part of one's vote should be for the representative. I have voted against the party I supported the most when its candidate was awful.

As have I, which is why I have voted NDP Provincially, and voted NDP in the last Federal election despite being a Liberal.

In this case, I want the NDP to get the message. I'm sick of them sounding like Rob Ford/Hudak, and the answer of "It will come out in our platform later" to every single question. We have been in election mode since the last election, you'd think a platform would be ready to roll out by now!

Vaughan give his goodbyes yesterday at CH. CP24 Tenaglia tweeted "He will retire from politics if he doesn't win in fed by-elex." That's kind of surprising he really putting his money where his mouth is here.

As a left of centre person I am conflicted I like Vaughan but like Mulcare slightly more than Trudeau. But provincially even though I know nothing about the liberal candidate I can't stand the NDP leadership right now provincially and have been impressed with Wynne.

Provincially, Liberals have been to the left of the NDP on the political spectrum since 2008.

Horwath's brand of populist politics is scary (as is Hudak's).

At the federal level Vaughan is not going to not stand up for anything that an NDP-member would have, so voting for him makes sense even if you would prefer federal NDP leadership.

Provincially, Liberals have been to the left of the NDP on the political spectrum since 2008.

Horwath's brand of populist politics is scary (as is Hudak's).

I'm not sure if the shift occurred as early as 2008 - but the Liberals now appear to be more progressive than the NDP provincially. I think Andrea Horwath came in 2009 and has shifted the party rightward. Howard Hampton, while he was the "invisible man" to most Ontarians, was at least more of a traditional social democrat who focused on things like the minimum wage and poverty. And Kathleen Wynne has moved the Liberals leftward.

At the federal level Vaughan is not going to not stand up for anything that an NDP-member would have, so voting for him makes sense even if you would prefer federal NDP leadership.

That's true. It's only one seat. And there is a case to be made they'd he'd be an effective advocate for Toronto and for cities and housing in Parliament and a progressive voice in the Liberal Party. Also, he said he would run in the new Fort York riding in 2015, and he's just about the most progressive person who could get elected there.

It seems like the underdogs are out there early. I seen Cressy people going door to door even before the election date was set.

Dong's people have been out on the weekend.

By the way, obviously not much talk of the Conservatives here. Benjamin Sharma (no real clue who he is) is going federally and Roberta Scott provincially (I think she was involved as a paramedic) So no Mike Yen this year.

Cressy has been campaigning for a while -- he's had transit shelter ads up, for example.

Mike Yen running for council perhaps?

Back