News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
So who is he, there are tons of Robert Sampsons. Present your work to me, and I will try to give you some answers.

AoD was obviously referring to the first Google hit, the Robert Sampson who is the Henry Ford II Professor of the Social Sciences at Harvard University.

If only Google allowed you to use more search terms to narrow a search. Oh, we can dream.

You are quite naive, and don't understand true courage when its staring you in the face. This woman knew she would arrested. She did not expect to just have everything handed to her. Going to jail is a way of confronting and shaming her government. Its now up to the husbands, brothers and sons of Saudi women to evolve. That is the crisis she is trying to provoke. You should respect her, but realize she doesn't need you - she needs her people.

That's a very limited view of her goal.

I seriously doubt she's against international attention and external pressure on her country to improve women's rights.

So who is he, there are tons of Robert Sampsons. Present your work to me, and I will try to give you some answers.

If you are smart enough to post on UT about how there are micro and macro differences in social development and use big words like "tribal-theocratic mutation", you are smart enough to do basic research on the name in question in relation to the country in discussion.

AoD

If you are smart enough to post on UT about how there are micro and macro differences in social development and use big words like "tribal-theocratic mutation", you are smart enough to do basic research on the name in question in relation to the country in discussion.

AoD

Interestingly, "tribal-theocratic mutation" gets zero hits on Google as a phrase. I dare say that's made up.

Interestingly, "tribal-theocratic mutation" gets zero hits on Google as a phrase. I dare say that's made up.

They are simply a sequence of words I have used, perhaps that qualifies as 'made-up'. SA is tribal, is a theocracy, those are cultural realities.
AlvinofDespair, I am smart enough to find the information myself. I'd prefer to have Kleenix do this for me, I am juggling numerous things, and it would be a good exercise for her. She doesn't need you to defend her.

They are simply a sequence of words I have used, perhaps that qualifies as 'made-up'. SA is tribal, is a theocracy, those are cultural realities.
AlvinofDespair, I am smart enough to find the information myself. I'd prefer to have Kleenix do this for me, I am juggling numerous things, and it would be a good exercise for her. She doesn't need you to defend her.

Oh, the insinuation I am a woman is supposed to be an insult? Are women bad too?

Is Kleenix a typo or an attempt at a burn? It’s unclear.

Are you? This is your post to me:

And the name-calling masquerading as typos and feminization is supposed to represent what, exactly?

MoD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Sampson_(author)

I'm sure the Badawis are having a wonderful time in Saudi prison. Remember when Raif Badawi's public floggings were postponed because the Saudi doctors weren't sure he'd survive them?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raif_Badawi

This is the regime that publicly beheads and crucifies people.

You really want to argue that activists want to be in prison?

Raif Badawi's wife:
"She said she hopes Canada will continue to pressure Saudi Arabia on human rights abuses, including her husband's case."

Oh, the insinuation I am a woman is supposed to be an insult? Are women bad too?

Is Kleenix a typo or an attempt at a burn? It’s unclear.

Sorry Skeezix, I have a mild form of dyslexia. And I just thought your support of feminist issues made it slightly more likely you were female. No insult intended.

Sorry Skeezix, I have a mild form of dyslexia. And I just thought your support of feminist issues made it slightly more likely you were female. No insult intended.

Odd that your form of dyslexia only cropped up in that specific post in two different (Skeetix/Kleenix; Diaspar/Despair) instances? You will have to come up with a better excuse than that.

And FYI, you won't have been the first to use that "typo" of my alias as a slight.

MoD

Last edited:
And I just thought your support of feminist issues made it slightly more likely you were female.
So are we all to assume that you drive a pickup truck and fire off guns while watching Nascar based on your posts? That may seem silly to you, but assuming someone is female because they support feminism/female rights seems crazy to me

Ok, I'm a bit Internet dumb. Ever since Internet 2.0 blew up, to be honest.

You guys talking about the Canadian who was imprisoned and tortured in Saudi Arabia?

@buildup

You are clearly taking it on the chin in this thread.

You'll have to forgive me (or not) but not without just cause.

But rather than add a post targeting your general views, or the quality of some of your posts (though I don't think those unfair, by and large)

I want to take a different line.

It is entirely possible to criticize Mr. Trudeau.

It is in fact entirely possible to criticize Mr. Trudeau for Virtue Signalling (though I would debate strongly whether that is an accurate characterization of his actions or those of his government in the current
Saudi Arabia matter. )

It is well within possible to have that exact type of discussion right here at UT and have a receptive audience.

You don't have to take it on the chin.

BUT

In order for that to happen, you really need to do the following (in my humble estimation)

1) Pick the right fight. (there are so many legitimate reasons to critique the Federal Government, the Saudi matter is far from the best example)

2) If you particularly wish to harp on Virtue Signalling, you might consider whether the governments substantial policy pronouncements on feminism were actualized in its policy changes on parental leave (the answer is no). You might have considered whether matters announced vis a vis Indigenous people have enough substance or achievement. There are plenty of other matters where the rhetoric and the actions are less than perfectly aligned.

In this case, I think you'd find (and are finding) that is a much harder case to make.

3) If you insist on making this particular case, and doing so in form of starting a thread no less (as opposed to adding a post to the existing Trudeau government thread)....then the onus will be on you to back up your claims.

You cannot start a thread and then argue you don't have time to research the issue thoroughly.

None of us have the time to research everything. That's the point of a discussion forum where we have a variety of people expert in a range of different subjects and disciplines.

But if you don't do the research then you have to phrase things as questions or conditional opinions while you seek out others here who are willing to do the research.

Finally, you really need to dial back the personal insults.

I get that its tempting at times. Rightly or wrongly, a competing view point can rub you the wrong way, or someone may seem a tad smug.

But if you want to combat that, you need to critique the ideas. Anything smacking of name-calling will not go over well with most.

Just my 2c for you finding the forum more enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back