News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It literally adds a few seconds to the trip...it's not a big deal on the 57.

I'm not talking about one stop on one bus route. I'm talking city wide the number of stops should be reduced. People can walk 200m. These stops add more than a few seconds to a trip... the accelleration and deceleration adds up to reduce the average speed of the bus over the whole route. It might only take a few seconds for the person at the stop to step on but it keeps the average speed of the bus over the route at much less than 50 to 60km/h. The distance from Kennedy Station to Steeles and Midland is 14.5km and the trip averages 26min which means the average speed is 33km/h. Increasing the average speed to 38km/h by removing some of the stops, accelleration, and decelleration would mean a savings of about 4 minutes one-way or 15%... this 15% could translate to a bus showing up every 17min vs every 20min for the same cost which also means a capacity increase on the route of 15%. Even a 1 minute reduction in running time on a 26min route equals an almost 4% increase in efficiency.... multiply that by every bus in the city and thats a lot of time/money.

From today's EYE:

Editorial
Making transit rapid

Our plans could make transit great, but we're doing it wrong
The news earlier this week was full of discussion of rapid transit - more gnawing on the already-chewed bone of the St. Clair right-of-way alongside the first meetings for the Environmental Assessment for the Waterfront West LRT.

This was to be expected, since LRT routes and dedicated busways formed the core of David Miller's transportation strategy during the just-ended mayoral campaign. In contrast to Jane Pitfield, who promised to start the digging on an expanded network of subways (a plan that no one had any idea how to pay for in the absence of significant funding from the provincial and federal governments), Miller wanted to get things moving on the surface.

His plan taken in total - more streetcar rights-of-way along Queens Quay, on Don Mills from Steeles into downtown, along the west waterfront from Etobicoke to Union Station and another one across Eglinton that would go out to the airport, as well as a dedicated busway across the Finch Hydro Corridor and either light rail or some other rapid transit connecting the Sheppard Subway to the Scarborough Town Centre, among other things - is inspiring to look at. It takes the current transit grid and gives us a network of high-speed lines that could get Torontonians out of their cars and connect them to each other.

David Miller says the plan is to "make streetcars and buses as speedy and reliable as the subway." There's the catch. We support that idea, and we know it is possible, but we doubt the mayor's plan will make it happen. Because the way Toronto has gone about building LRT lines thus far, at Harbourfront and on Spadina and St. Clair, ignores the lessons of Europe and Australia about what surface rapid transit can be and instead duplicates the model of our existing streetcars with few additional benefits.(We'll pause here to acknowledge that our transit views are very heavily influenced by those of transit activist Steve Munro. If there were any justice - and if he'd accept the job - Munro would be put in charge of the TTC. As it is, he keeps an excellent blog at www.stevemunro.ca, which we suggest you check out.)

What's wrong with how we build LRT lines? Let's look at how the speedy, reliable subway behaves. It arrives every minute and a half or so, and passengers who have paid a fare before stepping onto the platform board quickly. The subway then proceeds to about 40 kilometres an hour and stops once every kilometre or two. It encounters no traffic obstacles such as red lights or crosswalks along the way.

Now let's look at our existing streetcar rights-of-way: streetcars wait while passengers fumble for passes and change to individually pay fares as they board. The streetcar (which, as no one in Toronto has occasion to learn, can travel as fast as 70 km per hour) then crawls forward, barely getting up to the speed of traffic and then stops every block or two. It waits for red lights whether there's a streetcar stop or not, and then often waits while cars make left turns through the streetcar lane. Then it crawls forward again.

Why, when we decide a surface route will have to stand in for a subway, do we ignore the ways in which it could behave like a subway? Why don't we have a system of collecting fares that doesn't involve stopping the car for minutes at each stop. Why don't we space the stops out to every 500 metres or every kilometre so that the streetcars can speed along as subways do? Why don't we have a not-so-high-tech system of traffic signal priority that would ensure a streetcar never had to stop at a red light, as they do all over Europe? Why do we make 50 passengers in a streetcar wait while a single driver in a car makes a left turn?

We don't know. But our current approach seems to view a streetcar in a right-of-way as just another single vehicle sharing the road.

We'd like some answers. Better yet, we'd like to see the problems fixed, so that when the mayor compares surface transit's speed and reliability to that of a subway, he's telling the truth.

"I'm not talking about one stop on one bus route."

I know you're not. You're absolutely right when it comes to lots, probably most routes in this city, and, invariably, downtown routes. However, the 57 does not need less stops...if anything, it's efficiency can be improved by 10% just by driving a bit faster and if the driver spends less time in Tim Horton's every run. The 57's stops are already almost every 400m apart.

Bus drivers in Mississauga have been calling out stops for the past two months.

Some drivers are only calling stops for major intersections while most don't call them out at all.

There are very few drivers who call all the stops out today like they have since they join MT.

Drivers use their voice, phone or the PA mike to call the stops.

Been on the 19, 26, 3, 1 where none of the stops were call out at all. Must be waiting for Dec 4 when service changes take place. These are the top 4 routes for MT.

I guess the safety issue did not fly?

Drivers are pushing the issue for not calling out the stop.

Have to check to see where the AODA changes stand for calling out stop is as well a few other things. There are a number of changes coming that will effect transit in Ontario for the better, but there is a cost for them.

Talking buses system is not cheap, but it does the job.

If a bus could talk like Ann "My Mother The Car" Sothern, that'd be neat
55.jpg

Automated Stop and Station Announcements

I was on the Yonge Blue Night bus over the weekend and noticed that the buses now have an automated announcement for each stop and is also displayed on a electronic sign. When did the T.T.C. (finally) start doing this? and what other routes do this as well?

I was just in Ottawa and, surprise, the drivers there now have mics and announce stops (you just can't always hear them).

Is this some minor Ontario transit revolution happening?

Any similar reports from the smaller burgs and hamlets?

I was just in Ottawa and, surprise, the drivers there now have mics and announce stops (you just can't always hear them).

Ottawa was taken to court shortly before Toronto was for the surface routes.

I believe Ottawa is required to announce major stops only rather than all stops.

The system was first tested on the 11 Bayview route last year and is now being rolled out across the system, albeit slowly. All the new buses are being delivered with the system installed and older buses (depending on how old they are) are being retrofitted. There are a few streetcars with the system installed as well, but I've yet to hear of whether or not they've been activated on board.

In other news, in the Commission meeting yesterday, there was a report on the implementation of "Next Train" arrival times on display screens in the station and it appears that a 'Proof of Concept' is expected soon, followed by eventual rollout in a year or so.... it'll be great, but I don't understand why everyone is so gung-ho about it -- no matter what time of day, the train comes within 5 minutes... I can see why it's installed in Montreal Metro or on Viva, since there may be different waits for your next vehicle depending on the time of day.

there really is no point in installing them on the subway. just a waste of money if you ask me.

there was a report on the implementation of "Next Train" arrival times on display screens in the station [...] it'll be great, but I don't understand why everyone is so gung-ho about it -- no matter what time of day, the train comes within 5 minutes...

This question has been asked many times and the general conclusion is that the passengers really like it. "Improves the travelling experience". You yourself said it... "it'll be great". We'll just have to see how much money it will cost.

Me, I'd be pumped to see it rolled out on the surface system.

Back