News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

there really is no point in installing them on the subway. just a waste of money if you ask me.

Cost is minimal. The signalling system improvements now have the data in electronic form. The new advertising displays are already networked for advertising distribution and on demand updates including TTC announcements and message updates.

All they're building is the glue to extract the data from the signalling system and feed it into the display network. Even with large amounts of testing the capital and operations expenses should be pretty low with high benefit during problem periods.

i've seen that service disruptions are on the OneStop screens a lot more often now. it's good to be able to see it when you can't make out what they're saying over the speaker -- though in general, i've found that's improved lately as well.

At least one ALRV has it, but there really should be two screens, as at the back, it is very hard to see the display. The subway stations - Queen and Osgoode - are called out with Yonge and University (which I wished would be done in the subway at Bloor and St. George), but unlike many streetcar operators, there's no announcements of major landmarks - often drivers would call out "29 Dufferin bus" with Gladstone Avenue (because it is here, not Dufferin that the transfer is usually made), or City Hall at Bay Street, St. Mike's at Victoria, etc.

I like the surface announcments more than the subway announcements myself. Reliability, clarity without repetition or high volume.

Cost is minimal. The signalling system improvements now have the data in electronic form. The new advertising displays are already networked for advertising distribution and on demand updates including TTC announcements and message updates.

All they're building is the glue to extract the data from the signalling system and feed it into the display network. Even with large amounts of testing the capital and operations expenses should be pretty low with high benefit during problem periods.

That would explain why they chose to implement an arrival sign on the subway system versus the streetcar or bus.

Video of LED screen on the 57 Midland bus

21 Brimley buses also have the screens and the automated stop announcements.

I've also been on a Bathurst streetcar that not only provides the automated announcements, but also a whole bunch of passenger reminders. Felt like I was in Chicago where those announcements are frequent to the point of being annoying.

Ottawa was taken to court shortly before Toronto was for the surface routes.

I believe Ottawa is required to announce major stops only rather than all stops.

Interesting fact; I didn't know they had been taken to court.

Video of LED screen on the 57 Midland bus

21 Brimley buses also have the screens and the automated stop announcements.

I've also been on a Bathurst streetcar that not only provides the automated announcements, but also a whole bunch of passenger reminders. Felt like I was in Chicago where those announcements are frequent to the point of being annoying.

San Francisco's buses make "Please Hold On" announcements after each stop. I made two ladies (the only other ones on the 33-Chestnut trolley bus) burst out laughing, when seated, pretended to hold on for dear life to the seat in front each time the announcement came on.

The announcer on the CTA just can't shut up, though at least the stop announcements give a lot of information.

Interesting fact; I didn't know they had been taken to court.

Neither did I until a couple of weeks ago when I asked a driver to announce my stop because I didn't know the system that well, and the didn't announce stops last time I used it.

4030 has the system, but the volume was to low and I was sitting at the back 5 feet from the speakers.

Cannot see the sign clearly from the back because of the poles and it is right behind the driver.

"The next station is Blu Er Blu Er station"
"The next station is Summer Hill Summer Hill station"
"The next station is Eglington Eglington station"
"The next station is York Mill York Mill station"
etc.

Anyone else as annoyed by this as I am? Putting aside the illogic of bookending announcements with 'station' (station should not be said at all if only to match maps and signs), do they really need to mispronounce so many of the names?

Yeah I really can't stand the sound of her voice either. And as for the mispronounciations.... she's from Ajax, what do you expect?

Our lady of the stations

VINCE TALOTTA/TORONTO STAR
"It's neat that your voice out there," says Susan Bigioni, the unofficial voice of the TTC, who's happy to be of help to visually impaired riders.

Meet the calm-voiced woman behind the TTC's automated subway announcements
Jun 03, 2007 04:30 AM
CHRISTINA KU
SPECIAL TO THE STAR
Susan Bigioni is back in the Toronto Transit Commission's makeshift recording studio at the Bathurst and Davenport Hillcrest Complex. Customers had complained that she said "Glencairen" station, not "Glencairn." After 20 minutes of recording and re-recording, her announcement is close enough.

It's Bigioni's automated station announcements that millions of riders hear on the Yonge, University, Spadina and Sheppard subway lines each day. Her calm voice will also be heard along the Bloor-Danforth route by the end of this year.

"I smile every time I hear it," says Bigioni, 45, a TTC communications assistant and now its unofficial voice. "It's neat that your voice is out there."

When the commission needs a new public announcement, it calls staff radio-shop technician Fred Sottile. Last year, when Sottile couldn't find an announcer for a March Break pass announcement, he contacted his friend Bigioni. She had never recorded anything before, but Sottile liked the way her voice sounded. "It's relaxed but won't put you to sleep," he says, "and it won't make you jump out of your seat either."

Bigioni hasn't been paid extra for her voice work, but she says it's enough to know she's helping people. "We don't understand what it's like to be on a train and not be able to read the stations," says the mother of two girls, aged 20 and 16.

The TTC first began planning automated station announcements about 10 years ago. Then, after a 2005 ruling by the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal said the commission discriminated against visually impaired riders because drivers didn't routinely announce stops, the utility fast-tracked the program.

The usual announcer was away on maternity leave, so Sottile suggested Bigioni, a first-generation Italian-Canadian who had joined the TTC in 1981 to work as a payroll administrator.

As a TTC senior design engineer, Kent Bayley was responsible for implementing the announcement system. To choose the right voice, he hired a marketing company to survey four focus groups – adults, seniors, students and the visually impaired. In the end, it came to a close tie between Bigioni, favoured for her clarity and intelligibility, and TTC employee Kevin Carrington, favoured for the sound of his voice. Recalls Bayley: "I picked Sue based on the logic of why we were doing this – for the people who most needed it. I spoke with people who were blind, and their description of how horrid it can be, not knowing where you are."

To time each announcement correctly, engineers planted grey transponder boxes along the tracks. After passing a transponder, a subway's antennae picks up the transmitted message and matches it to an announcement ID in the subway's computer. Without any work from the driver, Bigioni's voice is automatically broadcast throughout the train.

Eventually, the entire TTC system – buses and streetcars as well as subways – will carry automated announcements.

Bigioni, who lives in Ajax with her daughters and her fiancé, won't be used for streetcars and buses. But she's content with how far-reaching her voice already is.

And whenever her girls go downtown late at night, she reminds them that their mother is there, watching over them on the subway.

I finally got to experience automated stop announcements on a bus yesterday. I took the Rosedale bus from Rosedale station. Im happy with the system. The announcements weren't that loud. It would be nice if the LED screen would keep the name of the stop up until arriving. The name disappears after a few seconds of being up.

There are a few streetcars with the system installed as well, but I've yet to hear of whether or not they've been activated on board.

I was on a streetcar a few weeks ago that had the system installed. I can't remember which line it was, since I take the streetcars so often.

On another note, I think it's great for the public in general, and especially helpful to those who are visually impaired. I have a close friend who is legally blind, and she's told me that many visually impaired people are left in the dark (pardon the pun) when drivers forget to announce the stops.

I was on a bus today that had the signs, but they didn't work. They driver didn't announce any stop either.

i was on the 172 today, both buses on the route had working announcements and LED signs... if only the drivers had gone on the right route, all would have been well

Back