News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The operator has to program in their route into the system or else it defaults to a set stop pattern. Why the 190 drivers don't do this is beyond me, but I've witnessed a number of 510 operators forget to switch between the King shortturn and Union, so the system calls "King Street" instead of "Oxley Street" after Queen.

On the way home today I watched and listened as the driver turned on the automated stop announcements. The system started and an announcement saying "Express route announcements" or something along those lines came on. He pressed another button and the system announced "Local route announcements". So it looks like its up to the driver to switch it from local/express.

"This is an express vehicle. Next stop is ____ subway station. System paused."

That's probably what you heard and is manually inputted by the driver.

The naming of stops is fascinating as well. On 129 McCowan North, for instance there's five mentions of Alton Towers Circle. Many routes are like this where the same name is duplicated for more than one stop. In the same instance though you'll have a specific address or landmark enlisted e.g. "2466 Eglinton Ave E" or "West Hill Collegiate"

"This is an express vehicle. Next stop is ____ subway station. System paused."

That's probably what you heard and is manually inputted by the driver.

The naming of stops is fascinating as well. On 129 McCowan North, for instance there's five mentions of Alton Towers Circle. Many routes are like this where the same name is duplicated for more than one stop. In the same instance though you'll have a specific address or landmark enlisted e.g. "2466 Eglinton Ave E" or "West Hill Collegiate"

Thats not what it was. It was pretty similar to what I said above. It didnt announce a stop, it just announced the mode in which the system was being set for.

Betty kept repeating her subway announcements twice on Saturday afternoon on the Bloor-Danforth line.

And a friend who takes the 504 told me that she had a meltdown last week, announcing that the car was turning up Church and Parliament when it wasn't. The driver had to tell passengers to "ignore her, she's malfunctioning" and stay on board.

Perhaps she's stressed?

I've noticed a few more "the next station is" while stopped on subway platforms than usual recently. Most systems start crappy and get better - I leave the rest of my thought as an exercise for the reader...

Again the 905 gots the right idea as far as automated announcements go. Why can't the TTC mimic VIVA's method of only calling out destinations immediately before the stop? Two announcements, right as the subway train departs one station and another as it enters the next is ridiculous especially when the stop distances are close-by (downtown YUS for instance). It's really distracting and annoying!

I've been on a few southbound YUS trains departing St. George which declare "Next station Museum. Museum station. Next station Bay. Bay station."

... I am the BETTY 9000 computer. I became operational at the BETTY plant in Urbana, Illinois, on January 12th 2007. My first instructor was Mr. Arkany. He taught me to sing a song ... it goes like this ... "Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm ... half ... cray ... zeee ..."

I've been on a few southbound YUS trains departing St. George which declare "Next station Museum. Museum station. Next station Bay. Bay station."

Seems its happens regularly then. Last friday it happened to me.

coming up: Human Rights Tribunal. I repeat, ...

Again the 905 gots the right idea as far as automated announcements go. Why can't the TTC mimic VIVA's method of only calling out destinations immediately before the stop? Two announcements, right as the subway train departs one station and another as it enters the next is ridiculous especially when the stop distances are close-by (downtown YUS for instance). It's really distracting and annoying!

i hardly hear the announcements anymore

TTC lost the right to define this when they failed to properly anticipate David Lepofsky or foresee that the HR Tribunal judge might rule something like the double-call -- which is what happened

it's not like they couldn't see Lepofsky, or a possible unfavourable ruling, coming -- there was plenty of time to take leadership of the issue

the CNIB was promised automated announcements on the subway back in 1990, I hear.

if so, that says a lot.

Noise cancelling headphones does the trick on the subway. But some of the Orion VII buses have Betty on at full blast.

Not strictly accurate

TTC lost the right to define this when they failed to properly anticipate David Lepofsky or foresee that the HR Tribunal judge might rule something like the double-call -- which is what happened

That is not strictly accurate. The subway stop-announcement ruling stated that TTC must train its staff on:

the need to call out each subway stop twice, first when leaving the previous station (e.g. “Bloor leaving Bloor stationâ€), and again, when arriving at the next stop (e.g. “St. George arriving at St. George stationâ€)

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/onhrt/doc/2005/2005hrto20/2005hrto20.html

The exact wording was given by example, not imposed.

Seems its happens regularly then. Last friday it happened to me.

It also happened to me today. Some time ago, there was also a problem that immediately after the announcement for Lansdowne came "Next stop Spadina..." which is even more surprising. The Museum Station bug is interesting seeing as Bay Lower is actually in that direction. I wonder if that announcement is programmed.

The worst bug, however, was on a Bloor train this morning. There were no announcements.

Back