News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

^Another reason why Toronto needs double-decker buses.

Many Hong Kong double-decker buses (KMB) have automated announcements and the electronic signs. However the automated announcements are only done on the lower deck of the bus. I guess the bus company assumed that blind people can't climb the stairs to get to the upper deck. (unfortunately, HK buses also have on-board TVs with sound, and you can't get away from them on the lower or upper deck).

They have a whole series of snappy little recorded announcements. This morning, just after the recorded broad told us the next stop was Church Street, the recorded dude chimed in with, "This vehicle will be short-turning at the next service stop."

There's a whole bunch of pre-recorded announcements so the driver, theoretically, doesn't have to say a word, he or she just presses a button. There is one for "please move back, thank you" done by a male voice (a very pleasant one at that), but I didn't know about the short-turn announcement. I would prefer an announcement like that to be done by the driver him/herself, especially as they should give advance notice of a short-turn.

I should also say that I find the stop announcements fine, but the volume inconsistent. One of the bus routes I'm on says the minor stops loudly (too loudly) yet the major cross roads are very quiet (almost too quiet).

It seems that most of the CLRVs now have the announcement systems working, though it's only the Orion VIIs out of two divisions (Arrow and I believe Eglinton) in terms of buses.

Perhaps the recorded broad and the recorded dude could do joint announcements like, "If you move back please ... we would both be most grateful." Or, "Those of you who don't want to short-turn with us, please get off here and miss the party." Or, "We're really happy, even though the rest of you have been delayed by this collision for the past ten minutes and will be late late for work, because the traffic is much clearer up ahead."

I should also say that I find the stop announcements fine, but the volume inconsistent. One of the bus routes I'm on says the minor stops loudly (too loudly) yet the major cross roads are very quiet (almost too quiet).

It seems that most of the CLRVs now have the announcement systems working, though it's only the Orion VIIs out of two divisions (Arrow and I believe Eglinton) in terms of buses.

Most buses from all divisions have them, but they only seem to be working on Arrow and Eglinton route. Funny though, if a bus runs on a street that's shared with an active route, the system will call out a stop. So if you see a stop bus all out two stops across the entire route, its not broke (believe it or not).

Perhaps the recorded broad and the recorded dude could do joint announcements

A thousand pardons:

Male Announcer: The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.

Female Annoucer: The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.

MA: The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.

FA: The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.

MA: The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the white zone.

FA: No, the white zone is for loading and unloading and there is no stopping in the red zone.

MA: The red zone has always been for loading and unloading. There is never stopping in a white zone.

WA: Don't tell me which zone is for stopping and which zone is for loading!

MA: Listen, Betty, don't start up with your white zone shit again. There's just no stopping in a white zone.

FA: Really, Vernon, why pretend? We both know perfectly well what it is you're talking about. You want me to have an abortion.

MA: It's really the only sensible thing to do. If it's done properly, therapeutically, there's no danger involved.

And here's a little youtube treat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkgTb5_uEZg

A thousand pardons:

Male Announcer: The white zone is for immediate unloading passangers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.

Female Annoucer: The white zone is for immediate unloading passangers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.

MA: The white zone is for immediate unloading passangers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.

FA: The white zone is for immediate unloading passangers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.

MA: The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading passangers. There is no stopping in the white zone.

FA: No, the white zone is for loading and unloading and there is no stopping in the red zone.

MA: The red zone has always been for loading and unloading. There is never stopping in a white zone.

MA: Listen, Betty, don't start up with your white zone shit again. There's just no stopping in a white zone.

FA: Really, Vernon, why pretend? We both know perfectly well what it is you're talking about. You want me to have an abortion.

MA: It's really the only sensible thing to do. If it's done properly, therapeutically, there's no danger involved.

Script for a new soap opera based on the TTC? To be aired on the 'One Stop' screens?

A thousand pardons:

Male Announcer: The white zone is for immediate unloading passangers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.

Female Annoucer: The white zone is for immediate unloading passangers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.

MA: The white zone is for immediate unloading passangers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.

FA: The white zone is for immediate unloading passangers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.

MA: The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading passangers. There is no stopping in the white zone.

LMAO

As Betty, the pushy recorded broad, gains more power and influence she's bound to start changing the names of the stops too. In my neck of the woods she's already turned the evocative "Don Jail Roadway" ( of interest to many who take the 504 and 505 south along Broadview ) into the prissy, gentrified " Simpson Avenue".

Automated announcements now available on the Bloor-Danforth Subway...

I haven't been a critic of the earlier subway announcements, but I think the B-D train announcements are a disaster. The Coxwell announcement sounded like the woman was on the verge of tears. The Woodbine announcement sounded like a robot. She was all uppity when it came to Main Street.

As Betty, the pushy recorded broad, gains more power and influence she's bound to start changing the names of the stops too. In my neck of the woods she's already turned the evocative "Don Jail Roadway" ( of interest to many who take the 504 and 505 south along Broadview ) into the prissy, gentrified " Simpson Avenue".

She didn't do something that harsh on a route I use often, but Maria Street became "North Side Stop, Dundas Street West". And as for automated announcements on the BD line, they have been around since spring, but they're not that prevalent.

Back