News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 30K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 2.9K     0 

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
It should be an easi(er) one to do once Line 2 is completed, at least.

It will be done; at some point, there are some decisions around both expansion of Line 4 and opening up the closed portions of platforms for six-car trains that would ideally be taken before letting that contract, but it isn't strictly required.

The current rolling stock for Line 4 is also not ATC-ready will need to be replaced, that's a small number of trains, but an issue here is that the TTC is seriously loooking at going to six-car trains so it can order the same rolling stock as for other lines.

This may get tagged onto the contract to replace Line 2 rolling stock, that's TBD. Lots of moving parts here.

Last edited:

rbt

Member Bio
Reaction score
The current rolling stock for Line 4 is also not ATC-ready and will need to be replaced...

I'm unsure about that specific point. I had understood the change from T1 to TR rolling stock change on Line 4 was primarily for ATC based runs on Line 1 to maintenance facilities, which T1s could not do.

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm unsure about that specific point. I had understood the change from T1 to TR rolling stock on Line 4 was primarily for ATC based runs on Line 1 to maintenance facilities, which T1s could not do.

I believe you are correct on that point. I had forgotten about the T1 replacement there.

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Which is probably where my confusion came from. I thought I had read something at some point about Line 4 being ATC-ready already, but it was likely the T1 replacements that made them ready to get to their maintenance facilities on Line 1 and not Line 4 itself.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Which is probably where my confusion came from. I thought I had read something at some point about Line 4 being ATC-ready already, but it was likely the T1 replacements that made them ready to get to their maintenance facilities on Line 1 and not Line 4 itself.
I think back in the purchase order amendment, the TTC justification for putting TR trainsets on Line 4, was so they could run using ATC on Line 1 - which happens very frequently. No ATC on Line 4 yet - I'd think it would be last, if ever, giving how relatively modern the signalling system is there; though perhaps the TTC can unload the cost on the province if they extend Line 4 to McCowan (Sheppard East) like they've promised.

Voltz

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think back in the purchase order amendment, the TTC justification for putting TR trainsets on Line 4, was so they could run using ATC on Line 1 - which happens very frequently. No ATC on Line 4 yet - I'd think it would be last, if ever, giving how relatively modern the signalling system is there; though perhaps the TTC can unload the cost on the province if they extend Line 4 to McCowan (Sheppard East) like they've promised.
It must be boring enough already for the operators on Line 4 without the trains driving themselves.

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
On ATC, Steve Munro has a post-meeting write-up of the last regularly scheduled TTC meeting of this term back on July 14th and it includes some ATC info.

Link here: https://stevemunro.ca/2022/07/21/ttc-board-meeting-july-14-2022/#more-46712

From the above:

1658512385085.png

1658512412255.png

felix123

Member Bio
Reaction score
ATC's completion is great news! Are trains running at full speed between stations on Line 1 now, or is there still some testing that needs to be done?