News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Even with automatic screen doors, the Shanghai Metro employs someone who waves a green flag to signal when the train can leave the station for some stations.

See the last few minutes of this video for example:

That video was from 2014. So things surely have change since then.

Unless you're the TTC, then it doesn't change. And don't call me Shirley.

It's been a while, I haven't posted in this forum.

It's possible to built plaform doors in very old stations.
Paris metro has added platform doors on three old lines 1, 4 and 13 (those lines are over 100 years old).
Doors on line 1 and 13 were built in late 2000s, early 2010s with 5ft7 high doors.

Doors on line 4 were installed between mid 2018 and early 2021 with full height.
Those doors don't go to the ceiling of the station but cover the whole height of the train.

Saint Michel, a curved station (station opened in 1910).

Saint Michel, ligne 4
by Minato ku, sur Flickr

Installation at Denfert-Rochereau, another curved station (station opened in 1909).
Each door panel works independently of each other those, allowing a progressive installation.

Denfert-Rochereau, ligne 4
by Minato ku, sur Flickr

It's even possible in station with a low ceilling like here in Porte d'Orleans (station opened in 1909).

Porte d'Orleans, ligne 4
by Minato ku, sur Flickr

As long as the powers-that-be, decision-makers, and higher-ups DO NOT use public transit (except for photo-ops), it will be a l-o-n-g time before we will see platform doors on the old stations.

Sure it's possible, I don't think that's a question, whether it's practical, worth the cost, or a priority is the question.

It's been a while, I haven't posted in this forum.

It's possible to built plaform doors in very old stations.
Paris metro has added platform doors on three old lines 1, 4 and 13 (those lines are over 100 years old).
Looking at the photos, it seems to be similar to the Montreal Metro, which doesn't have the refuge under the platform - under where the doors would be placed.

That makes installation a LOT easier, as you don't have to rebuild the platforms for the extra weight, with the heavy doors cantilevered.

Though what happens if you are on the tracks, near the platform, and the train comes? I guess a good reason that doors are more important!

And if the doors can’t reach the ceiling in some stations they should make them unscalable. And then there’s the newest stations where the ceiling is far too high.

On the Agenda for the TTC mtg next week is a report on major projects (status)

That can be found here: https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co..._for_the_Period_Ended_July_3_and_Major_Pr.pdf

Within that report, we get the following update on ATC for Line 1:

1631133456144.png

Over a year to test phase 5 after construction wrapped up?

That is what the report suggests.

I concur, that on the face of it, that seems quite excessive.

Yea definitely strange... its not like the section is excessively longer than the others and for sure they would've applied lessons learned and shortcuts discovered in ph 1 to 4.....

Much of the delay has to do with the work currently going on at Eglinton Station. They don't want to have to program in the stopping location as it is currently, only to have to move it again in a year(-ish?) when all the work gets completed there.

This is also why the next section of the ATC/ATO system going live ends just south of Eglinton, and not at the station itself.

Dan

Much of the delay has to do with the work currently going on at Eglinton Station. They don't want to have to program in the stopping location as it is currently, only to have to move it again in a year(-ish?) when all the work gets completed there.

This is also why the next section of the ATC/ATO system going live ends just south of Eglinton, and not at the station itself.

Dan
If they don't want to program stopping locations @ Eglinton, wouldn't the switchover have to happen at Davisville?

If they don't want to program stopping locations @ Eglinton, wouldn't the switchover have to happen at Davisville?
It probably happens at the entrance to the tunnel much like it did when they did with Sheppard west before they continued further Nort,.when the extension opened and during the testing with a ghost train that would stop at the entrance of the tunnel and switch over to ATC northbound and switch over before exiting southbound.

I believe it has to do with the platform work at Eglinton.They will be modifying the platform to accommodate the Crosstown if I'm not mistaken.

My guess is they don't want to program in the stop locations on the current platform when they will need to reprogram it next year after the work is completed.

ATC is responsible for where the train stops on the platform

Back