News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

There's certainly an opportunity for more transit, but I don't know what form that should take really. It's more a question of where you are trying to connect. It seems like our main opportunities in the near future are WWLRT, BD extension to Sherway (not really that useful in this case), and the Ontario Line W/427 OL loop. Maybe Kipling will host some form of rapid transit, be it BRT or LRT (the latter couldn't really be justified for a very long route though).
Sherway was to see an LRT along the Queensway, but the city keeps pushing the thought of one down the road which is a mistake.

TTC has talked about an LRT on Kipling from the Lake Shore and hard to justify it in the first place when Islington is a heavier ridership route.

Subway to Cloverdale

BRT west from Kipling

Waterfront West LRT on the Lake Shore that was approved over a decade ago and the same for the east.

Etobicoke is a tough place to have RT as most routes are below the line to have one in the first place.

Still say the OL should go up Jane St all the way to Steeles. The OL east leg up to Steeles and then to 7.

Finch LRT to Woodbine as Phase 2 and Phase 3 to the airport. As a Phase 4, to Sq One, but ridership not there yet.

Sherway was to see an LRT along the Queensway, but the city keeps pushing the thought of one down the road which is a mistake.

TTC has talked about an LRT on Kipling from the Lake Shore and hard to justify it in the first place when Islington is a heavier ridership route.
I'd think that if a line was built at least from Bloor to Eglinton N-S in Etobicoke, most ridership (whether it's built on Kipling or Islington) will shift to the rail line. I'd wait to see what ECLRT does to N-S travel patterns, before making a final judgement.
Subway to Cloverdale
We just had the debate, but my two cents is that it might be justified when we have loads of money, but the (probably) billion dollar cost isn't worth it while we can build ridership elsewhere. If the Obico Yard is actually built someday, we might be able to get it as a package for cheap. We'll see.
BRT west from Kipling

Waterfront West LRT on the Lake Shore that was approved over a decade ago and the same for the east.
I've thought that a Queensway streetcar, connected to Waterfront LRT (we can have Waterfront run to Long Branch, and the 501 to Sherway - I don't know which is better) is the best way to build transit on that corridor.
Etobicoke is a tough place to have RT as most routes are below the line to have one in the first place.

Still say the OL should go up Jane St all the way to Steeles. The OL east leg up to Steeles and then to 7.
I am with you on this.
Finch LRT to Woodbine as Phase 2 and Phase 3 to the airport. As a Phase 4, to Sq One, but ridership not there yet.
I am not sure what the utility of a Finch Extension to Square One is. That would be one looong at-grade LRT, and Mississauga is probably not going to try any BRT to LRT conversions, after what happened in Ottawa. As much as I don't like it, I think the Airport is the natural western termini of FWLRT; you can't get it anywhere useful without an odd routing and lots of $$$. If you have the money, use it to RER-ify the Milton Line.

A GO station will help dramatically there's no doubt about that, but it's really nowhere near enough for the area. There's a good chunk of the population in this area that would be a fair distance away from this station and they would need a reliable way to get to the station, and reliable and TTC are 2 words that dont mix well together just like oil and water dont.

But in any case, the Bloor-Danforth line will never be extended to that neighborhood so that's neither here nor there.
But what are you proposing? An OL extension exactly paralleling Lakeshore West is nonsensical.

The vast majority of HBS will be within 500m/5 minute walkshed of Park Lawn GO. I doubt many people would even bother taking a bus to the station even if it were fast and frequent. Are you trying to say that a 15 minute transit ride from Union station is terrible transit access? The only thing that could reasonably be argued is there is a need for better N-S mobility, to get up to Line 2, etc.

This looks smaller than First Capital's project at Humber Bay which itself is a fraction of all the current and upcoming developments in that area.

But what are you proposing? An OL extension exactly paralleling Lakeshore West is nonsensical.

The vast majority of HBS will be within 500m/5 minute walkshed of Park Lawn GO. I doubt many people would even bother taking a bus to the station even if it were fast and frequent. Are you trying to say that a 15 minute transit ride from Union station is terrible transit access? The only thing that could reasonably be argued is there is a need for better N-S mobility, to get up to Line 2, etc.
We have to remember, the whole city doesnt revolve around Union station and not everyone is heading there. If they were, then I would say yes the access to transit is going to be excellent. However that will not be the case at all.

Then there's also the lingering issue of fare integration to which the province (aka Doug Ford) has a personal beef with Toronto with and is still holding his idiotic grudge against. Truthfully that's the only reason I can think of as to why this has yet to happen, while agreements have been struck with every single surrounding municipality.

What i'm proposing is for the TTC and the city to get their collective heads out of their bums and actually fund drastic transit improvements. In the interim, improve the laughable "service" on the 501 and 66, and long term fund proper LRTs on Queensway and Lake Shore (ie: none of this half-baked Spadina LRT/ St.Clair LRT garbage). The Ontario Line (despite wishful thinking amongst many on this forum) wont see the light of day in this neighbourhood before 2050 (if ever at all).

Milton Line will be upgraded long before Line 2 is meaningfully extended into Mississauga.
No kidding

Something new for moving people will surface down the road that doesn't require the subway at all. Even before you can build a subway along Dundas, it has to be totally redevelop to create the density for it in the first place. Only need an BRT now and be upgraded to LRT about 20-30 years down the road.

Yes the world doesn't revolved around Union Station or the Downtown, but due to the fact that there are no true options to go to various parts of Toronto from both within Toronto or from the outside, it been pushed through Union. This is totally wrong.

I'd think that if a line was built at least from Bloor to Eglinton N-S in Etobicoke, most ridership (whether it's built on Kipling or Islington) will shift to the rail line. I'd wait to see what ECLRT does to N-S travel patterns, before making a final judgement.

We just had the debate, but my two cents is that it might be justified when we have loads of money, but the (probably) billion dollar cost isn't worth it while we can build ridership elsewhere. If the Obico Yard is actually built someday, we might be able to get it as a package for cheap. We'll see.

I've thought that a Queensway streetcar, connected to Waterfront LRT (we can have Waterfront run to Long Branch, and the 501 to Sherway - I don't know which is better) is the best way to build transit on that corridor.

I am with you on this.

I am not sure what the utility of a Finch Extension to Square One is. That would be one looong at-grade LRT, and Mississauga is probably not going to try any BRT to LRT conversions, after what happened in Ottawa. As much as I don't like it, I think the Airport is the natural western termini of FWLRT; you can't get it anywhere useful without an odd routing and lots of $$$. If you have the money, use it to RER-ify the Milton Line.
The BRT is on Dundas, not the Queensway.

LRT is the prefer option for the Queensway.

It not that simple to move riders from one route to another if one has rail on it. You need to think of the back tracking and how many transfers are needed to change routes as well how long it will take for riders travel time. At the end of the day, riders will chose bus over rail due as there are less transfers as well travel time will be shorter.

We have to remember, the whole city doesnt revolve around Union station and not everyone is heading there. If they were, then I would say yes the access to transit is going to be excellent. However that will not be the case at all.

Then there's also the lingering issue of fare integration to which the province (aka Doug Ford) has a personal beef with Toronto with and is still holding his idiotic grudge against. Truthfully that's the only reason I can think of as to why this has yet to happen, while agreements have been struck with every single surrounding municipality.

What i'm proposing is for the TTC and the city to get their collective heads out of their bums and actually fund drastic transit improvements. In the interim, improve the laughable "service" on the 501 and 66, and long term fund proper LRTs on Queensway and Lake Shore (ie: none of this half-baked Spadina LRT/ St.Clair LRT garbage). The Ontario Line (despite wishful thinking amongst many on this forum) wont see the light of day in this neighbourhood before 2050 (if ever at all).
It's worse. We had a fare discount years ago until he took power, I used to be able to go downtown and get home for $4.75 and had 5 hours to do so. (Go 3 hour plus ttc 2 hour) Now I'm spending much more time travelling and paying close to double.

It's not low speed.

We need to build transit that suits the built form instead of spending billions trying to convince people to use it.
Having to transfer to go one stop does not strike me as the fast solution! There is no reason a subway mostly in a rail corridor should cost billions. This is Toronto brain.

Last time I checked the thread is on a western extension of Line 2, most likely to Sherway which happens to have a rail corridor 70+% of the way to it . . .

The original response I was providing pertained to an LRT along Queensway. That's what I've been referring to.

Back