News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The key issue with a Line 2 extension to MCC is the amount of redundancy that is currently planned or already exists in the corridor
Ah yes, the Scarborough Subway Extension effect. Seems fitting that both sides of the line end with a J to the city/borough centre.

A big reason the Transit City plan died was because of deferred spending. At some point if you don’t build something then you bump into other issues. For instance every year we push this down the road the cost of land assembly goes up. The cost of construction goes up. Things can be cancelled. New governments get in charge. That sort of thing. If there’s a sane plan I don’t see why things need to be pushed so far down the line that is here begins to be a real chance we either never see it or it never materializes.
I would imagine Metrolinx’s funds are finite, much like the supply of contractors to complete their work. The only thing being deferred here is something that would hamper the much easier, but also much larger, components of GO expansion. It wouldn’t make construction any cheaper if demand for those companies is extremely high.

To do the Milton Line corridor to 4 tracks from Weston Sub to Milton is only $2.5B with centre platforms for GO alone with some existing side platforms. This include electrifying the line.

What chance do you think CP will allow an overhead system if they currently opposed electrifying the line in their corridor???

To built an bypass line for MCC would be close to $5B, as it will have to be tunnel 100%, The bypass would services both Toronto and Milton

To take thing even further, you could upgrade the CP Corridor from Milton to London for 3 tracks with no electrifying of the line. and haven't even look at the cost to do at this time. Could use the OLD CP station giving riders an option of which station and line they could use to meet their travel needs. Only need an 4-6 pack train for service.

To do 15-30 minute service only requires an DMU train.
I don't see CP having a problem with electrifying an elevated guideway in the ROW. If not elevated, I think it should be very technically feasible to have small batteries on board trains to allow for gaps in catenary where the CP tracks cross the GO-exclusive tracks.

I don't see it making sense necessarily to extend from Milton to London. Kitchener corridor is the future HSR alignment, no? Maybe extending Milton to Cambridge and finding way to connect at KW to the HSR line?

I’m just saying - fer gosh sakes, be patient.
I think the problem is that there is very little indication that this will ever happen, despite being talked about for decades. This is a glaring problem, and not really clearly on the roadmap. It's fine to tell people to be patient when they actually have a timeline.

I think the problem is that there is very little indication that this will ever happen, despite being talked about for decades. This is a glaring problem, and not really clearly on the roadmap. It's fine to tell people to be patient when they actually have a timeline.
The other problem is when people look at other areas like Richmond hill. They have a GO train but are also getting a subway. Vaughan has a subway. STC is getting a subway while they also have a GO station at Kennedy, Sheppard and soon Finch. It’s not a we deserve this or that because downtown has this or that (I’m not comparing MCC to the union station area since that would be insane) but it’s more like why don’t we have more expansion if every other suburb is getting or has gotten it very recently.

I totally am appreciative of the hurontario LRT but surely that can’t be it.

The other problem is when people look at other areas like Richmond hill. They have a GO train but are also getting a subway. Vaughan has a subway. STC is getting a subway while they also have a GO station at Kennedy, Sheppard and soon Finch. It’s not a we deserve this or that because downtown has this or that (I’m not comparing MCC to the union station area since that would be insane) but it’s more like why don’t we have more expansion if every other suburb is getting or has gotten it very recently.

I totally am appreciative of the hurontario LRT but surely that can’t be it.
The main problem is that Mississauga has never fought for it. Until Mississauga decides it wants a line 2 extension, it’s never really going to be on the road map, maybe just to Cloverdale.

As for Milton line improvements, I have to say it feels unlikely. They’ve talked for decades, and they still haven’t restored counter peak trains to Erindale which apparently existed before. And service continues to get worse, with the disaster that GO buses using the Gardiner are.

The main problem is that Mississauga has never fought for it. Until Mississauga decides it wants a line 2 extension, it’s never really going to be on the road map, maybe just to Cloverdale.

As for Milton line improvements, I have to say it feels unlikely. They’ve talked for decades, and they still haven’t restored counter peak trains to Erindale which apparently existed before. And service continues to get worse, with the disaster that GO buses using the Gardiner are.
I’ll contact my neighbours and my councillor and have a talk with Bonnie.

Maybe the embarrassing and illiterate stop the shots gang at burnamthorpe and hurontario won’t notice if I replace their “F Trudeau” signs with “For Transit” signs.

The former "Queen of Sprawl" Mayor Emeritus Hazel McCallion didn't care about public transit, except as an afterthought.

The former "Queen of Sprawl" Mayor Emeritus Hazel McCallion didn't care about public transit, except as an afterthought.
A long term resident of Mississauga told me as soon as Bonnie got in power she started charging on street parking and killed places like streetsville. (I don’t know the accuracy of this gossip) This is the one city that doesn’t like making tax money from cars.

A long term resident of Mississauga told me as soon as Bonnie got in power she started charging on street parking and killed places like streetsville. (I don’t know the accuracy of this gossip) This is the one city that doesn’t like making tax money from cars.
Need to charge for parking at shopping malls, off-street parking, office buildings, and other parking lots. Not just in the 416 or 905, but at all former free parking lots in southern Ontario.

Need to charge for parking at shopping malls, off-street parking, office buildings, and other parking lots. Not just in the 416 or 905, but at all former free parking lots in southern Ontario.
I advocate for that but it’s an attack on people who don’t live in sustainable neighbourhoods. Some attacking I’m ok with.

Streetsville is dead? It seems pretty lively to me!

Hell, if it truly is impossible to do anything with Milton Line and CP, then we should get creative and look at things like a branch off the Lakeshore line, even if it has to be 100% elevated. The status quo is unacceptable, and the dumbest solution to this would be to throw $10B at a Line 2 extension that still leaves most of northern Mississauga and all of Milton (upwards of half a million people) with severely inadequate service.

By the way, I am all for truly HOV (HO as in buses, not 2 pax cars) lanes on all highways. I think GO buses would become pretty popular indeed if they could actually travel at highway speeds on peak. Restricting HOV lanes to buses would help a lot with lollygaggers and congestion caused by cars merging in and out of the HOV lanes. I could see it helping quite a bit with point-to-point GO routes, connecting lines circumferentially or between suburban nodes.

Hell, if it truly is impossible to do anything with Milton Line and CP, then we should get creative and look at things like a branch off the Lakeshore line, even if it has to be 100% elevated. The status quo is unacceptable, and the dumbest solution to this would be to throw $10B at a Line 2 extension that still leaves most of northern Mississauga and all of Milton (upwards of half a million people) with severely inadequate service.

By the way, I am all for truly HOV (HO as in buses, not 2 pax cars) lanes on all highways. I think GO buses would become pretty popular indeed if they could actually travel at highway speeds on peak. Restricting HOV lanes to buses would help a lot with lollygaggers and congestion caused by cars merging in and out of the HOV lanes. I could see it helping quite a bit with point-to-point GO routes, connecting lines circumferentially or between suburban nodes.
You talk about duplication of service, a branch of Lakeshore up Hurontario is more of a duplication of the Hurontario LRT than a Line 2 extension.

You talk about duplication of service, a branch of Lakeshore up Hurontario is more of a duplication of the Hurontario LRT than a Line 2 extension.
I'm talking about replacing the Milton Line with something fit for purpose: that is, regional rail connecting Mississauga and Milton to Toronto with fast, frequent service. HuLRT does not fulfill this mission. It is primarily for connecting people along the Hurontario corridor, and does not serve West Mississauga or Milton at all. I did not mention using Hurontario for the alignment. If anything it should be further west, and hit MCC on the Western end, which is where the current centre of gravity if for MCC and the part that is poorly served by HuLRT.

All that said, I refuse to believe it is 'impossible' to come to some arrangement with CP for the Milton Line corridor, and that Line 2 extension to Sq One would be a foolish use of resources given the alternatives, at least until the Dundas BRT reaches capacity in the distant future.

Back