News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

How? Is there a pathway under the 401 I don't know about? All the ways I know you go past/near Leslie or Bayview first.
You are right. I thought that there was a publicly accessible pathway, but it turned out that the pathway does not have public access.

It is well hidden and is disguised. Perhaps it is used by Toronto Hydro.

After all, Toronto Hydro is known to use the façades of houses to hide some of their transformers.

The Staff Report for Action on Fare Policy hit the TTC Board today, and was approved.

full text: https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co...16/Reports/Presentation_Fare_Policy_final.pdf

The relevant text:

It is recommended that the Board
1. Approve changes to TTC Fare Policy with specific emphasis on:
a. single cash fare in 2017
b. proof-of-payment system wide in 2017
c. ‘tap on’ to buses & streetcars, ‘tap on and off’ at subway stations in 2017.
d. daily e-Purse loyalty on PRESTO in 2016
e. weekly and monthly Metropasses on PRESTO in 2016
f. moving the Metropass Discount Plan (MDP) to PRESTO online in 2017
g. migrating Volume Incentive Program customers onto the MDP program in 2017
h. peak and off-peak pricing as part of the 2018 budget process

2. Approve further analysis of:
a. single ride limited use PRESTO card for bus cash customers
b. no cash fares for bus cash customers
c. loyalty program options for MDP

3. Approve that no further analysis is required at this time for:
a. 2 hour time-based transfers
b. all-door boarding on buses
c. fare by distance/zone
d. cash fare proof-of-payment receipt for bus customers

If the TTC is going to use surge pricing, should they offer a discount if I'm going only two stops?

That would depend on the stops. If you're going from Bloor Station to College Station during AM peak, then no; in fact that trip should probably have a premium added. If you're going from Downsview to York University in AM peak then yes, I would give a discounted fare.

I think GO should have a 50 cent premium for using the USRC too, or worded differently, a 50 cent discount for avoiding it.

Last edited:
IMO they are making a mistake for neglecting to further 3a and espc 3c (for the subway)....especially since theyre implementing tapping off at stations too. easy way to have a justifiable extra source of pocket change

3. Approve that no further analysis is required at this time for:
a. 2 hour time-based transfers
b. all-door boarding on buses
c. fare by distance/zone
d. cash fare proof-of-payment receipt for bus customers

IMO they are making a mistake for neglecting to further 3a and espc 3c (for the subway)....especially since theyre implementing tapping off at stations too. easy way to have a justifiable extra source of pocket change
3a, perhaps they feel like they've done enough "analysis", and it's simply down to a matter of making a decision? I think they've already analyzed the impacts it would have to the network, and it's just waiting on political and budgetary approval.

As for 3c...
No transit agency in the world commits to making their metro tap-in-tap-out "just for the ridership data". It would be cheaper to declare the Vaughan stops as within the 416 zone, than to install exit gates at every station and force a behavioural change on 100% of current subway riders.
Fare by distance is inevitable. They just want to avoid saying the words for as long as possible.

Reactions: PL1
3a, perhaps they feel like they've done enough "analysis", and it's simply down to a matter of making a decision? I think they've already analyzed the impacts it would have to the network, and it's just waiting on political and budgetary approval.

I hope you're right, and for 3b as well. At the absolute least I'd hope they'll have all-door boarding on articulated buses, to make the 29 Dufferin slightly less terrible.

As for 3c...
No transit agency in the world commits to making their metro tap-in-tap-out "just for the ridership data". It would be cheaper to declare the Vaughan stops as within the 416 zone, than to install exit gates at every station and force a behavioural change on 100% of current subway riders.
Fare by distance is inevitable. They just want to avoid saying the words for as long as possible.

I too hope that I misinterpreted that its a completion of data collection rather than ruling out in the foreseeable future

So cash fares on the TTC website were changed from yesterday. Assuming someone made an error for Post-Secondary students?
5vyCMvI.jpg

Was looking at the TTC budget presentation and had a few comments
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/bu/bgrd/backgroundfile-87284.pdf

Very important to note that the Budget committee isn't even given a projected financial statement in this budget. Only the changes. So they don't even get to see the base but only any changes. Red Herring to a Board Director (and something that would not be permitted in the private sector)

1. Employees. I know I keep hammering on this but this is the largest cost and there is virtually no mention on how they are trying to reduce the costs.

Per 2014 annual report the $1.23b. 2016 budget has 13,674 employees. This means the average employee earns $90,000 inclusive of benefits (or about $45/hr). A bit steep compared to the average wage of someone living in Toronto (and given the cross-section of jobs at the TTC it should be average, not higher than average).

Only 47% of the employees are for service delivery (6247 of 13674)! The other 53% we don't interact with. Operations, Corporate services, engineering, "strategy", etc.

And there are 814 people in "Corporate"

Even Police Services has been told to look at their operations/non-service delivery costs and see where they can outsource and reduce costs. Why has the TTC been given a free pass at this and not had a real review to rationale their costs?

My second point is Wheel-Trans. Assuming $3 per ride (on $7M of revenue) they handle about 2.3M rides per year. They have a total cost of $123M. This means $53 per ride!

Way too expensive (especially since they already have the capital asset of the van's. And from coworkers I hear about the horrendous wait times, etc.

Have they looked at contracting all of this out? Maybe to UberWav? Doesn't make sense to pay someone $53 a ride especially since a lot of it are shared rides with a lousy customer experience.

I would suggest we give out vouchers to UberWav so that everyone that requires this service receives 2 a day (can apply for more). Longer/scheduled rides to/from work must be part of a pool. It costs $3 for the first 2 rides a day and then market fares after that.

The secondary benefit to this type of model will be there are more accessible vehicles on the road when they needed beyond Wheel-Trans.

My second point is Wheel-Trans. Assuming $3 per ride (on $7M of revenue) they handle about 2.3M rides per year. They have a total cost of $123M. This means $53 per ride!

Way too expensive (especially since they already have the capital asset of the van's. And from coworkers I hear about the horrendous wait times, etc.

Have they looked at contracting all of this out? Maybe to UberWav? Doesn't make sense to pay someone $53 a ride especially since a lot of it are shared rides with a lousy customer experience.

I would suggest we give out vouchers to UberWav so that everyone that requires this service receives 2 a day (can apply for more). Longer/scheduled rides to/from work must be part of a pool. It costs $3 for the first 2 rides a day and then market fares after that.

The secondary benefit to this type of model will be there are more accessible vehicles on the road when they needed beyond Wheel-Trans.

Wow. How much are they paying these drivers? That's ridiculous. A Uber trip for an individual going from Scarborough to Downtown costs about $25. I have a hard time understanding why WheelTrans costs more than twice as much when a typical WheelTrans trip would be shorter and has the cost split between multiple people. Even when factoring in the equipment costs it doesn't make any sense to me.

Very important to note that the Budget committee isn't even given a projected financial statement in this budget. Only the changes. So they don't even get to see the base but only any changes. Red Herring to a Board Director (and something that would not be permitted in the private sector)

1. Employees. I know I keep hammering on this but this is the largest cost and there is virtually no mention on how they are trying to reduce the costs.

The shutdowns of sections of Line 1 (later to be done with Line 2) are for installation of automatic train control. In English, this means that instead of two employees per train, there will be one. Computers will operate the train and doors. The employee on the train will be there as a guard. Just like on the SRT. In addition, with PRESTO, they will be able to reduce the number of employees at the fare gates.

Better than the three employees they had on the Peter Witt streetcar trains. One driver, a conductor on the front streetcar, and another conductor on the rear trailer.

streetcar-4602-02.jpg

Back