8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

noctis

Member Bio
Reaction score
For those who take the bus often, you should have already noticed that on some bus routes, the bus never comes on time. Even though there is a schedule posted at that particular stop, it never matches. As for me, I am quite sensitive when it comes to being on time. So I thought I come up with a proposal for designing a new bus stop sign so that when people look at it they will at least know how long they have to wait for the next bus, and know what routes are available to them at that particular stop. Here is a sample of what I have come up with:

http://db.tt/5D3WWl9

Let me know what you guys think!

looks good to me =D isn't that system used on the streetcars too? it would be nice to see that be implemented on buses.

May I suggest using Nextbus? Even the TTC's website has decent accuracy in terms of scheduling, more so than what is posted at stops.

Nextbus is very good and is NOT based on the schedule but on what is actualy happening.

I use RocketMan App on my iPhone. It uses NextBus GPS to determine when the next bus is coming, while also showing you on a map in Real-Time where the bus is. It's VERY helpful,. and I never take the bus w/o checking it first!

The TTC bus and streetcar stops are getting too "busy".

4044834669_9da567f15d.jpg

With the posted schedules being either inaccurate, out-of-date, or stolen, the addition of NEXTBUS numbers and eventually displays, there is just too much information on them. The TTC should look into cleaning up the signs.

However, that will cost money, something the Fords do not to use to improve the TTC.

so it comes down to money again eh...sigh...

The TTC bus and streetcar stops are getting too busy

I note that you use a picture with the TimeLine sticker that came from Spacing. I know, because I took that photo.

The (sexist) request stop program stickers were used as an easy way to cover up the TimeLine decals.

I think they can do away with those request stop stickers when the bus stop number decals are added. I'd also like to see a back to basics automated call-in system instead of requiring text-back. For example, Brampton now offers next bus data for all routes via their website or by call-in. You can get web times from the TTC, but only from third party websites.

I use Darwin O'Connor's TranSee website. It satisfies the geek in me because it list fleet numbers as well as the arrival time.

Last edited:
Last edited:
yes i kno about the website, but i was saying that if they could install it at the bus stop just like what they had with the streetcars at union station. i mean nextbus is great! just hope to see it on display at the actual bus stop...
I doubt you'll ever see it at many bus stops, but some terminal locations have had it since July. The display screens at Main Street station show the arrival times for 20, 23, 62, 64, 87, 113, and 135 routes. The screen at Bathurst shows the number 7 arrival times (well it used to ... was turned off the last couple of times I was there). I assume there are others ...

From the Seattle Transit Blog, at this link:

Metro-bus-stop-sign-types.png

Metro’s New Bus Stop Signs
September 9, 2011 at 7:21 am
by Oran Viriyincy

Long overdue, with prototypes tested three years ago, Metro began implementing its new signage system on a route by route basis this year. The new system matches Metro’s current color scheme and presents more information than the old signs in a clear and consistent format. However, the possibility of significant service cuts put replacement of regular signs (type A in the graphic) on hold, since Metro would have to go back and “patch†the new signs with stickers. Even with the $20 CRC, “budget [for the new signs] will still be a challengeâ€, says Metro spokeswoman Linda Thielke. Metro continues to plan on replacing the large kiosk style signs at busy stops, since those signs feature interchangeable route tiles (types B and C). There’s no estimate on when all the regular signs will be replaced. Complete replacement of the large signs is estimated to take at least 5 years.

You can see the new large signs at 3rd & Pine northbound stop, a few stops on 3rd Ave in Belltown, the island stop at 4th & Jackson, and the 4th & Jackson stop beside Union Station. The regular signs have appeared in many places across King County.

The new system is a significant improvement, in both form and function, over the old signs, which haven’t changed in basic design for decades. It was designed by Portland based Mayer/Reed and Jon Bentz Design in Edmonds, the latter has also worked on Sound Transit’s graphic and signage design standards.

More on the key design features after the jump.

The basic element on every sign is the “route block†which is consistent across all sign types. The route block includes the route number, a modifier (local, express, Sound Transit, etc.), up to two destinations, and symbols indicating connections with Sounder, Link, Sea-Tac Airport, and/or ferries. On the large B and C type signs, these blocks are individual tiles that can be rearranged or removed as needed without producing an entire sign from scratch for each revision.

Every sign is identified at the top by a bus symbol against a colored background that’s reminiscent of Metro’s bus livery. On large signs, the stop’s name is displayed. In the middle are the route blocks, displaying from 1 to 32 routes. Beneath the route blocks are the stop number, which is handy for OneBusAway, whether the stop is in the Ride Free Area or not, Metro’s customer service phone number and web site URL, wheelchair accessibility info, and Metro’s logo.

For some who have travelled to Portland and London, they may note the similarities of Metro’s system to those cities’ bus stop signs, designed and produced by UK firm Trueform. Why didn’t Metro just use them? Metro’s answer: “We evaluated their system, and were able to replicate a model that did the same basic job at a similar cost, while also allowing us to keep consistency with our map and schedule products that appear in many oter signage installations throughout the county.â€

I've used YRT a lot, and I think they've got it pretty much right in terms of bus stop signs.

Like the TTC, there are hundreds, if not thousands of stops, so wide implementations of fancy bus stops would be somewhat costly. Most signs are just a plain bus stop sign, and many busy and/or interchange stops also have a schedule posted for them. It is usually reasonably up-to-date.

When I first started riding, only Vivastations had NextBus displays and they only tracked Viva buses. A couple years ago, they started listing YRT buses as well, which is very useful considering that many YRT services overlap with Viva. They have since installed NextBus displays for all YRT buses at all terminals.

attachment.php

So for the TTC I would pretty much leave the regular stop sign alone, but create a second type of sign incorporating a NextBus display for use at select busy locations.

I'm thinking they could put them at Rocket route stops (and list TTC buses on the existing Viva stops on route 196 York U Rocket). That would also give additional substance to the Rocket branding, giving it more of a BRT-like image (in fact, Route 196 is already BRT).

Although it would cost money, I think they have a tangible benefit, so they would be worthwhile. They reduce stress levels for people waiting for the bus, improving rider experience, and they allow for more optimal trip design, cutting journey times. That would make the TTC more competitive, increasing potential revenue.

From my experience, I've found YRT's NextBus displays very useful, because knowing when buses will come lets you optimize your trips, saving time.
Some examples:
- My friend checks the NextBus display when he gets off Viva. If his local bus is more than 9 minutes away, he knows it is faster for him to walk home.
- Traveling from Yonge and Clark to RHC, if the Viva is less than 2 minutes behind the 99 Yonge, it is faster to wait for it.
- I was at RHC and the direct local bus to Bathurst and Teston was 30 minutes away, so I just hopped on Viva Purple, transferred the Bathurst bus and was at my destination in less than 30 minutes.

These benefits would be most useful at 199 Finch Rocket stops, due to the large variety of services.

Last edited:

Back