News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

You hear people talking about it every single time you ride. And I've never heard it once.

Sorry, I just don't believe you.

Saying sorry before calling me a liar doesn't make it any more polite. Besides, it doesn't matter if you believe me or not. If you don't think it's an issue then it doesn't concern you and you don't have to worry about what I think/do.

which wouldn't matter because the train isn't going there.

Crazy idea - people could look out the windows and see what station they're at and compare it on the map relative to the previous station and then figure out which way they are going. It sounds pretty far out, but I think people might be able to figure things out.

You hear people talking about it every single time you ride. And I've never heard it once.

Sorry, I just don't believe you.
I've not once heard anyone discuss it in many, many subway trips. I agree that it might not be the most intuitive option, but I think people largely figure it out.

Saying sorry before calling me a liar doesn't make it any more polite.
I'm that you thought I was being polite.

I just can't believe that in your last 100 subway rides that you heard it mentioned 100 times (presumably by other than your travelling party!).

I agree that the lighting is not intuitive. But I don't think telling mistruths about the situation advances the cause.

I'm that you thought I was being polite.

I just can't believe that in your last 100 subway rides that you heard it mentioned 100 times (presumably by other than your travelling party!).

I agree that the lighting is not intuitive. But I don't think telling mistruths about the situation advances the cause.

I don't owe a response to anyone who's being a dick, but I'm going to respond anyway. I never said it was my last 100 subway rides. In fact, I walk to work so I'm not on during rush hour when people who normally take the subway (and are therefore used to it) ride. I take it mostly on the weekends when I suppose there may be more tourists than during a 9-5 Mon-Fri trip. I don't usually sit so I'm usually standing in the middle or by the doors (on the non-opening side) so I get asked by people which way the subway is going because they're staring at the map trying to figure it out, or I see them staring at the map confused and I ask if I can help. That's when they say thank you because it didn't make sense and I tell them that it's not their fault, the lights are not intuitive. So yes, I am constantly encountering that and not just with my "travelling party". Next time ask for clarification like a big boy instead of going right to dick mode.

Although glad to hear that you agree with the lighting being not intuitive.

There is an easy and better solution to this whole "which colour bulb" debate:

SUBWAY2-popup.jpg

nyc2-300x225.jpg
nyc3-300x225.jpg

Easier to understand., doesn't require the replacement of stupid little bulbs, and more importantly, is future-proof against any changes to the system, e.g., having to replace every single map in every single train when York opens up. Then simply put a system map next a couple of the doors in each car.

This is obviously too complicated for the average person to handle

The TTC should just remove the maps. It's not that hard to remember the subway/RT map. If you can't remember, well, too bad. Stay home where you won't get lost.

/s

I never said it was my last 100 subway rides.
You said that you are constantly having to explain it, and when I expressed surprise, having never heard anyone comment when I'm on the subway (though may of my Yonge line trips are on weekend and off-peak) you clarified that it happened every single time you are on the subway.

I can't imagine it hasn't happened. I just don't believe it happens so frequently. Unless perhaps you only take the subway twice a year or something, and you hit a couple of odd occurrences.

Bottom line is (as others have already pointed out), you comments don't hold water. Sorry if pointing this out makes me a dick. Personally I think exaggerating the frequency of such incidents ...

Though I also assume that turning to name-calling to support your case, pretty much means you were have no case.

Bottom line is (as others have already pointed out), you comments don't hold water. Sorry if pointing this out makes me a dick. Personally I think exaggerating the frequency of such incidents ...

Though I also assume that turning to name-calling to support your case, pretty much means you were have no case.

Pointing that out didn't make you a dick, calling me a liar and then saying you were surprised I thought you were being polite made you a dick. I've seen you constantly argue with people on here when you don't agree with them, and now that you've argued with me even though you agree with me that the maps aren't intuitive, I realize you're just on here to argue so we're done.

I apologize if this was discussed already in this thread, I haven't been following this one as much as the others on this site..

Does anyone know why there isn't more proliferation of TTC shelters with the Next Vehicle Information System?

For example, this morning there was a diversion on the 510 and luckily I usually walk up Spadina, but if I didn't, I would be mighty confused as to what was going on with the line this morning because the shelters don't have this system. This is a pretty basic feature of transit systems around the world.

Of course there is @ttcnotices which I do check but not everyone can do so.

I'm guessing a lack of funding is a big part of why.

I apologize if this was discussed already in this thread, I haven't been following this one as much as the others on this site..

Does anyone know why there isn't more proliferation of TTC shelters with the Next Vehicle Information System?

For example, this morning there was a diversion on the 510 and luckily I usually walk up Spadina, but if I didn't, I would be mighty confused as to what was going on with the line this morning because the shelters don't have this system. This is a pretty basic feature of transit systems around the world.

Of course there is @ttcnotices which I do check but not everyone can do so.

I'm guessing a lack of funding is a big part of why.

I think $$ (or lack thereof) is most of the reason but one does wonder at how they decided where to put the NextBus displays they have installed. If I were in charge (no. please!) I would first have put them at termini or subway stops and where major routes meet and then spread out along busier routes (though a case could be made that if a route is all at the 10 minute or less level the display is less useful than on routes where it is 30 minutes between vehicles.) Let's hope they install more soon, they are really very useful, if sometimes inaccurate.

Back