News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

What? This is a forum where people discuss items that matter to them. This forum doesn't require resumes and identity checks to participate. Anyone that has been on the forum long enough gets to know who is legit and who isn't. When a person posts photos from within an active construction site while site workers are around it shows a level of access to information that is greater than the average Joe. When someone creates flamebait it shows a level immaturity and an unlikelihood that they will contribute anything to the forum worth reading.

I'm not talking about resumes or identity checks. But when someone habitually talks as if from a position of authority, we can't ask what that's based on? Being on the forum a long time is also a good way of creating an impression about oneself that may not be entirely accurate. Someone who posts photos from an active construction site could also just be someone who knows someone who allows them on the site for whatever reason.

I'm not talking about resumes or identity checks. But when someone habitually talks as if from a position of authority, we can't ask what that's based on? Being on the forum a long time is also a good way of creating an impression about oneself that may not be entirely accurate. Someone who posts photos from an active construction site could also just be someone who knows someone who allows them on the site for whatever reason.
On sites like this one surely judges a poster by the kinds of information they post; how accurate it turns out to be and (likely) whether one agrees with their opinions or not. Just because someone is 'an engineer' does not mean they understand transit planning or that 'an architect' understands urban planning and, maybe more importantly, that 'experts' understand the context. Many new buildings discussed here are 'exciting' or even 'iconic' but they simply do not fit into the site they are being squeezed onto; an architectural expert may (rightly) love them; an urban planner or neighbour may only see their flaws.

The Victoria Street (westbound only) stop is on the approved list for removal. You will note they have not put in any new curb cuts at it. Removal is supposed to occur once the route is moved over new streetcars so who knows when!
Thats a given and long over due, but you don't need the new cars to not stops at stops that are plan to be removed. Remove the stops now, but until they are removed, 514 will be stopping at all 504 when requested.

The Victoria Street (westbound only) stop is on the approved list for removal. You will note they have not put in any new curb cuts at it. Removal is supposed to occur once the route is moved over new streetcars so who knows when!

Where did you hear that the stop removal had anything to do with new vehicles? The TTC has been removing superfluous streetcar stops all over the network regardless of vehicle type.

In fact, if anything there is the opposite correlation since the removed stops tend to be in mixed traffic and the new vehicles are mostly operating on routes with dedicated ROW.

Last edited:
Where did you hear that the stop removal had anything to do with new vehicles? The TTC has been removing superfluous streetcar stops all over the network regardless of vehicle type.

In fact, if anything there is the opposite correlation since the removed stops tend to be in mixed traffic and the new vehicles are mostly operating on routes with dedicated ROW.

Indeed, 511 Bathurst just had Adelaide St removed due to the close proximity to King and Queen--LFLRVs are not on the route yet, but they actually were running on it during, I believe, last year's CNE to provide accessible service to the grounds from Bathurst station, and they were stopping at Adelaide.

While the stop removal program is largely due to the LFLRVs since the increased vehicle length makes closely spaced stops a bit ridiculous, that was one of the reasons for the planning of the stop removals; the actual execution of removing the stops seems to have nothing to do with them.

I'm not talking about resumes or identity checks. But when someone habitually talks as if from a position of authority, we can't ask what that's based on?

You can ask but what it the point? Is your name actually "the lemur"? If I say on the forum I am a quantum physicist does it mean it is true? This reminds me of stories of people citing Wikipedia as a reference for research. You don't go to an open forum which is free to join and in which you conceal your identity looking for absolute truths. You use information from here as an FYI, but if someone in here is saying elevated subways are the best thing since sliced bread or that nobody landed on the moon it is for you to do further research and to think about whether or not that seems reasonable to you. I don't care if they say they are from MIT or NASA because them saying it doesn't make it true and even if true it doesn't tell me they know what they are talking about.

OK, The removal of stops is not totally connected to the new streetcars but the actual removal was, at least at one time, to be done at the time the new streetcars were introduced on a route and those stops would not be adjusted with the sidewalk ramps. See Report and List at: http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...n_Safety_andvCustomer_Journey__Times_Tran.pdf

OK, The removal of stops is not totally connected to the new streetcars but the actual removal was, at least at one time, to be done at the time the new streetcars were introduced on a route and those stops would not be adjusted with the sidewalk ramps. See Report and List at: http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...n_Safety_andvCustomer_Journey__Times_Tran.pdf

Yeah, new vehicles was used as an argument when complaints started coming in. Many bus stops, including one I used to use occasionally on Harbord, have been removed too. It is/was a general downtown issue, it just happens that streetcars are mostly used downtown.

The new vehicles (curb cut contract) forced the decision on the timing and provided a small financial incentive for council to cooperate; but as mentioned it didn't just impact streetcar routes.

That said, I cannot find the actual report for the removal of stops on the Wellesley (and other) bus routes.

Last edited:
Yeah, new vehicles was used as an argument when complaints started coming in. Many bus stops, including one I used to use occasionally on Harbord, have been removed too. It is/was a general downtown issue, it just happens that streetcars are mostly used downtown.

The new vehicles (curb cut contract) forced the decision on the timing and provided a small financial incentive for council to cooperate; but as mentioned it didn't just impact streetcar routes.

That said, I cannot find the actual report for the removal of stops on the Wellesley (and other) bus routes.

We have all been on a streetcar or bus in the downtown - none of these stops are in Scarborough or York, or East York, or North York or Etobicoke - that can't even accelerate properly before it's braking again. That is absurd. This process is a necessary simplification/ streamlining of a service that is choking on itself.

A small section of top coat was replaced in the loop along with relaying some stone work. Other than, next to no changes since I last saw the ROW and loop. Didn't get north of Front on Sat as plan.

Now the barriers are gone, had a looked at the northbound stop at Front Street and you wouldn't know there was a stop there just like at the loop. The concrete sidewalk is bump out to act as a stop and TTC will need to state this is a stop. Can't recall if a shelter is plan for Front ant the loop.

The one thing I did noticed and haven't seen it on existing platforms so far, is a large concrete pad for the first accessibility door of the new cars for the ramp to sit on.

May 28
More up on site now I have them uploaded

You can see at Front St, the north platform is bump out from the sidewalk as well having a concrete pad for the accessibly ramp.

I am assuming the yellow box are to protect the anchors for the shelters
27478674215_8c88bac317_h.jpg

26871207233_9193bef12d_h.jpg

27478683685_3960014c11_h.jpg

27201987920_373742a5ee_h.jpg

27478662345_3bb6bd08ef_h.jpg

27406909481_02081443d6_h.jpg

27406858831_349b834747_h.jpg

26871178233_c0fe388e3d_h.jpg

26871087603_3579d8ec79_h.jpg

26871045643_ddb0f04225_h.jpg

Back