5.1K     0 

Kipling 44,297
Islington 47,274
Royal York 19,538
Old Mill 5,098
Jane 16,357
Runnymede 17,986
High Park 9,975

It would be intereting to see how many of the riders using Islington are MT riders and how many of the the Kipling are Mississauga drivers.

As for MT ridership, Kipling see less than 500 while Islington see over 25,000.

Ha! Higher figures for the BD line towards the west and into Etobicoke, but oh no, the Eglinton line just HAD to be cancelled!

Yeah I'm still really bitter about that and hope it still gets built at some point in my lifetime. I keep hoping some government will eventually get serious about Toronto's transit problem. But hey, winning that 2015 World's Fair might be just the kind of motivation the politicians need to get this done...

This person has used 4 station platforms. They would be counted 4 times. Once for Finch, once for the Yonge platform at Bloor/Yonge, once for the Bloor platorm at Bloor/Yonge, and once at Kennedy.

Are you sure? How can Bloor/Yonge be counted twice if the rider does not exit through a counting turnstile? If they are merely transferring, they would simply switch platforms without needing to exit the station.

"How can Bloor/Yonge be counted twice if the rider does not exit through a counting turnstile?"

People that flash Metropasses aren't always counted entering or leaving, either, unless each card is assigned X rides per month.

"Ha! Higher figures for the BD line towards the west and into Etobicoke, but oh no, the Eglinton line just HAD to be cancelled!"

Keeping in mind that Eglinton station is 4 times as busy as Eglinton West due to all the towers and bus routes, were there ever plans, serious or otherwise, to connect the new line with Eglinton & Yonge and/or continue east? I know that's one of Paul Bedford's fantasy subway lines.

It's interesting... Eglinton West can be taken too ways. The line might have made sense considering how busy the Bloor line west of St. George is. However, Eglinton West itself isn't a very busy station at all.

I find North York Centre most astonishing. It's a very busy station considering it has no connecting bus routes of any significance. That's a telling sign of the neighbourhood's success as a transit-oriented community.

It would be intereting to see how many of the riders using Islington are MT riders and how many of the the Kipling are Mississauga drivers.
That's one of reasons why Islington and Kipling stations have such a high number. Islington has two massive parking lots as well a smaller one every time I pass them by on my to Islington, they're pretty much full.

Are you sure? How can Bloor/Yonge be counted twice if the rider does not exit through a counting turnstile? If they are merely transferring, they would simply switch platforms without needing to exit the station.
Ever see the folks standing near the stairs with a small device in their hand with a button that they're clicking pretty rapidly and a small notebook in the other hand? They don't count very often and even when they do you have to be paying pretty close attention to notice it.

I'm surprised by how well Chester scores, given that it has completely no bus connection, compared to other stations that do.

That's one of reasons why Islington and Kipling stations have such a high number. Islington has two massive parking lots as well a smaller one every time I pass them by on my to Islington, they're pretty much full.

Both Islington and Kipling only have around 1300 parking spaces each, so parking-and-riding is not an important factor in the high ridership. It is actually due to the bus connections. After all, why else would Islington get more boardings than Kipling?

Looking that ridership for the stations, I am surpised to see that Old Mill isn't the most useless subway station after all. I think they should close down this station to improve the speed of the subway because I never see anyone get off or on from it. Rosedale, Summerhill, Glencairn, and Chester should also all be closed down.

Both Islington and Kipling only have around 1300 parking spaces each, so parking-and-riding is not an important factor in the high ridership.
Actually the TTC parking lots aren't the only places where commuters park. In my neighbourhood (Islington station), I can name you tons of places where you can park for free and still be within a 10 minute walk from the subway. In Kipling there is even more.

I'm surprised by how well Chester scores, given that it has completely no bus connection, compared to other stations that do.

Probably the fortuitous "retail node" factor. Indeed, I wonder how it compares to 30 odd years ago, when anything from Carrot Common to Taste Of The Danforth was but a distant gleam of the eye, if even that...

In regards to doady's comments abour closing Old Mill station:

Old Mill exists specifically for me. Between it and my place is a beautiful 15-minute walk through the Humber Valley. I'm sorry that your daily commute is slowed by a stop at Old Mill, but they do that in case I am waiting for a train, or if I want to get off. It's very kind of them, and I don't take it for granted.

Both Islington and Kipling only have around 1300 parking spaces each, so parking-and-riding is not an important factor in the high ridership. It is actually due to the bus connections. After all, why else would Islington get more boardings than Kipling?

Islington does have an office building across the street, as well as apartment buildings a short walk away. As well, it is closer to actual neighbourhoods, compared to Kipling. Bus connections aren't everything in life you know.

Looking that ridership for the stations, I am surpised to see that Old Mill isn't the most useless subway station after all. I think they should close down this station to improve the speed of the subway because I never see anyone get off or on from it. Rosedale, Summerhill, Glencairn, and Chester should also all be closed down

So to make your commute go faster, you would inconvenience the thousands of people that use these stations each day. Have you ever actually stood at the platforms at any of these stations? People DO use them. I can assure you that Summerhill and Chester in particular are busier than you think.

"Rosedale, Summerhill, Glencairn, and Chester should also all be closed down."

We should also divert all buses west of Bathurst to funnel into Kipling station, close every station between Kipling and Bathurst, and run the trains express over the whole stretch. Do the same for the other 3 lines, too. Think of the net benefit!

"The Yonge line only seems to be so crowded because it's very top heavy."

Top heavy in terms of so many people riding out to the end and also top heavy in terms of massive crowds at the north end of the train close to the stairs to the B/D line. Going west of St. George, the B/D trains seem more full over more of the train because the passenger load appears more balanced. Both lines can leave people at the platform during rush hour.

"Actually the TTC parking lots aren't the only places where commuters park. In my neighbourhood (Islington station), I can name you tons of places where you can park for free and still be within a 10 minute walk from the subway. In Kipling there is even more."

Even so, parking lot-derived ridership makes up only 5-10% of these stations' total...a pittance compared to what the buses bring in, and both of these stations happen to have very busy bus terminals.

Back