News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Ride the TTC for Free on December 17
Ontario Celebrating Largest Expansion of Toronto’s Subway System in Nearly 40 Years

From link.

Ontario is celebrating the largest expansion of Toronto's subway system in nearly 40 years by making the TTC free on December 17, the first day of service for the new Line 1 extension into York Region.

Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation, along with John Tory, Mayor of Toronto and Josh Colle, TTC Chair, were at Sheppard West TTC station today to announce that on Sunday, December 17, people can ride the entire TTC network for free in celebration of the subway extension opening.

The new Line 1 extension is among the largest subway expansions in North America in recent decades, with six new stations and 8.6 kilometres of new track. Riders will get from the new subway terminus at Vaughan Metropolitan Centre to the Sheppard West station in about 14 minutes and to Union Station in 42 minutes. Students will also be able to take rapid transit to York University for the very first time.

Building better public transit for commuters and families is part of Ontario's plan to create fairness and opportunity during this period of rapid economic change. The plan includes a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, easier access to affordable child care, and free prescription drugs for everyone under 25 through the biggest expansion of Medicare in a generation.

Quick Facts
  • The Line 1 extension (or Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension (TYSSE)) will add an estimated 36 million transit trips and eliminate 30 million car trips per year, helping to ease traffic congestion, improve air quality and fight climate change.
  • The project adds more than 2,800 parking spots at three commuter lots along the new extension.
  • The Line 1 extension is the largest subway expansion in the region in nearly 40 years, with a total cost of about $3.2 billion. The province provided $974 million to the project through the Move Ontario Trust. The City of Toronto is providing $904 million, the federal government up to $697 million and York Region $604 million.
  • The six new subway stations are Downsview Park, Finch West, York University, Pioneer Village, Highway 407 and Vaughan Metropolitan Centre.
  • The subway’s new terminus at Vaughan Metropolitan Centre is a major new transportation hub in York Region. It connects directly to the vivaNext rapidway on Highway 7 — part of an extensive rapid transit network of dedicated bus lanes that York Region Transit is building with up to $1.4 billion in funding from Ontario.
  • Ontario and the City of Toronto are cutting costs for commuters in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area. Starting on January 7, 2018, adult, senior, youth and student TTC riders will pay a TTC fare of just $1.50 when they use a PRESTO card to transfer to or from GO Transit or the Union Pearson Express.

Included is this announcement: "Starting on January 7, 2018, adult, senior, youth and student TTC riders will pay a TTC fare of just $1.50 when they use a PRESTO card to transfer to or from GO Transit or the Union Pearson Express."

Last edited:
Ride the TTC for Free on December 17
Ontario Celebrating Largest Expansion of Toronto’s Subway System in Nearly 40 Years

From link.

Included is this announcement: "Starting on January 7, 2018, adult, senior, youth and student TTC riders will pay a TTC fare of just $1.50 when they use a PRESTO card to transfer to or from GO Transit or the Union Pearson Express."
Here's hoping they'll do this again for Line 5.

1937Coupler.jpg

The Commissioners and Management extend to you and your family their sincere good wishes for a very Merry Christmas, and may the New Year bring forth an abundance of happiness and good health to you and yours.
Cover art from the December 1937 Coupler depicts the Peter Witt streetcar on Queen Street in the centre of a typical, hectic day of holiday shopping in the downtown core of Toronto.

Happy Holidays Season Service
New Year’s Eve free rides start at 7 p.m.!

From link.

Free service on all TTC routes in Toronto starting at 7 p.m. on New Year’s Eve until 7 a.m. on New Year’s Day, courtesy of Corby Spirit and Wine.

From link:

New Customer Service Agents at TTC stations
As part of the ongoing modernization and implementation of PRESTO across the system, the TTC is introducing a new Customer Service Agent role. The collector booths you’re familiar with on the TTC today will be closed over the course of the next year.

Starting Sunday, December 17, Customer Service Agents will be in all stations on the Line 1 extension to York Region, and at Sheppard West and Wilson stations. And next year, you’ll start seeing Customer Service Agents at more and more stations throughout the system.

If there is no collector booth, how do I pay my fare?
  • PRESTO: Simply tap your PRESTO card at one of the modern, paddle-style fare gates.
  • Tickets, tokens and Metropasses: You can pay using any of these, but you won’t be able to purchase these fare types at any of the new Line 1 extension stations.
  • Cash: You can pay with cash, but be sure to have exact fare handy.
You will be able to buy and load your PRESTO card at each station.

Who do I speak to if I need help or have a question?
A Customer Service Agent would be pleased to help you answer your question or direct you to where you purchase and pay your fare.

Look for someone in a TTC uniform beside the fare gates and they would be more than happy to assist you.

What if I need help right away or have an emergency?
In an emergency, go to the Passenger Assistance Intercom located beside the fare gates and push the button to speak with someone immediately.

Will it cost me more to ride the subway to the new stations?
No you will not be charged more to ride the subway to and from the new stations.
Repeating, collector booths at Sheppard West and Wilson Stations will permanently close as of December 17. You will no longer be able to buy tickets or tokens from these stations. You can still use them to pay your fare and PRESTO cards are available for sale.

Will you be able to press a button and the walls will turn around and then a hidden customer service agent will pop up from behind the wall on demand.

Now for the fine print about the free TTC service on Sunday, December 17, 2017.

It is from 5 AM Sunday morning to 5 AM Monday morning. That's from 2017/12/17 05:00 to 2017/12/18 05:00.

Now for the fine print about the free TTC service on Sunday, December 17, 2017.

It is from 5 AM Sunday morning to 5 AM Monday morning. That's from 2017/12/17 05:00 to 2017/12/18 05:00.

You just reminded me of that period of time that I had to catch a bus just before 5am to get downtown before 6:30. It was not pleasant.

If it's taking some cars off the road, or enticed casual drivers to switch to transit even just for one day, I'd say it's worth the money.
One day of few transit will change nothing it's just a waste of money that they should be spending elsewhere.

If it's taking some cars off the road, or enticed casual drivers to switch to transit even just for one day, I'd say it's worth the money.

Since these stations are in the suburbs, I could see locals driving to see them (ironically).

One day of few transit will change nothing it's just a waste of money that they should be spending elsewhere.

Not if it's on a weekday and sponsored by a private company. In fact, I think it should be a semi-regular occurrence: we can call them "Try Transit Days".

Must be a lot people who don't actually listen or read the news about the TTC being free today, Sunday, December 17, 2017.

In the morning, I've seen people trying to show their MetroPass or drop their fare into the covered-over farebox.

After lunch, the streetcars and buses were crowded with passengers taking advantage of the free rides.

Back