News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

From this link, information on
Streetcar service changes during an ice storm

In order to keep customers moving in the event of an ice storm, we will be concentrating streetcar service in the downtown core. This means that buses will operate on some streetcar routes and portions of routes.

By concentrating streetcar service downtown, we are able to reduce the wait time between streetcars, which will keep the overhead wires from freezing and interrupting service. ...

501_Queen_%28IS_2%29.gif

504_King_%28IS_2%29.gif

506_Carlton_%28IS_2%29.gif

This is some...special thinking.
  • Isn't 506 replaced by buses until 2019? 505 is absent from this list so it seems they remembered that.
  • 514 cherry is cancelled, 514 King operates from...dufferin loop to broadview? What? Why not just run it as 514 service entirely? Or have half the streetcars run to Distillery, half to Broadview? They're all running to Dufferin already.
  • 509 is cancelled, replaced by buses with a forced transfer to 510? If the stated reasoning for this is to keep wires free of ice with frequent service, doesn't it make more sense to double up 509 and 510 to Union, given the number of 510s that short turn at King/Queen's Quay? Or at least have 509 run between Exhibition and Queen's Quay loop, just 2 or 3 streetcars should be able to do that short trip quite frequently.
  • 512 running using buses in the curb lanes...glad that nice ROW will sit there completely empty.
They should keep 509, 510, 514 (maybe to broadview), and 512 streetcar-based. Keep 502, 503, 504 outer portions, 505, 506 as buses. Honestly, just convert 501 to buses since so little of it is running with streetcars anyways, and the streetcar-served stretch is largely parallel to the King pilot.

Are they sure replaced streetcars with buses during ice storms are a good idea?

Don't streetcars have their own supply of sand available for wheel traction?

Are they sure replaced streetcars with buses during ice storms are a good idea?
The problem isn't traction, it's iced up catenary wire. Used to be even more of a problem with the trolley buses.
which will keep the overhead wires from freezing and interrupting service

The problem isn't traction, it's iced up catenary wire. Used to be even more of a problem with the trolley buses.

Also the fact that most of the streetcar routes (and thereby those replaced by buses) don't have any major hills to navigate up and down.

Which may play a role in why the 512 gets replaced during ice storms. They probably don't want to have to deal with iced wires going up the hill on Bathurst to get to/from the Hillcrest yard.

This is some...special thinking.
  • Isn't 506 replaced by buses until 2019? 505 is absent from this list so it seems they remembered that.

It's been all streetcars in the last work week. I'd just assumed that 505 wouldn't run, given the service is all duplicated, or it's a short walk to College/Carlton or Queen. It won't be buses for another month or so, by which I hope much of winter is done.

I'd assume this plan predates the new 505/506 plan - it's been on the TTC site for a week now.

• 514 cherry is cancelled, 514 King operates from...dufferin loop to broadview? What? Why not just run it as 514 service entirely? Or have half the streetcars run to Distillery, half to Broadview? They're all running to Dufferin already.

If they run to Distillery won't connect with the 501 or 506 services. If they split in two, you lose the frequency to keep the lines unfrozen.

The problem isn't traction, it's iced up catenary wire.
Indeed. When I've had to hoof it because the streetcar was taking forever to go one stop, it was often pouring with rain. Sidewalk and road were fine to walk/drive on. If the road is icy and slippy, the the buses are fine.

What do they do, stand there in the rain and toss the shovel at the wires to break the ice? :)

(actually the use the pole to shake the wire, hoping to break it off. Typically the streetcars bunch quickly, because the one at the back has a clean wire, and the one at the front has it worse, so a driver from further back walks along trying to break the ice as they go.

Also the fact that most of the streetcar routes (and thereby those replaced by buses) don't have any major hills to navigate up and down.

Which may play a role in why the 512 gets replaced during ice storms. They probably don't want to have to deal with iced wires going up the hill on Bathurst to get to/from the Hillcrest yard.
This is an interesting point. Adhesion coefficients express in surprising ways. Intuitively, I'd agree with you on lack of adhesion on steep slopes. And especially in icy conditions. Except streetcars (trams, and other steel on steel drives) may in fact have *more* adhesive traction relative a rubber tired vehicle. I've been trying to Google to find a study on that, just can't get the right tags to get results.

Anyone reading have info or apt search tags on this?

What did show in a cursory Google is this: Deja Vu:
https://www.blogto.com/city/2017/02/ice-storm-toronto-power-outages-ttc-delays-february-2017/

See:
https://books.google.ca/books?id=04...IRzAD#v=onepage&q=lrv adhesion on ice&f=false

Last edited:
This is an interesting point. Adhesion coefficients express in surprising ways. Intuitively, I'd agree with you on lack of adhesion on steep slopes. And especially in icy conditions. Except streetcars (trams, and other steel on steel drives) may in fact have *more* adhesive traction relative a rubber tired vehicle. I've been trying to Google to find a study on that, just can't get the right tags to get results.

When it's cold enough that the buses start having problems on the hills from Queen to Danforth, I always used to use the streetcar instead to get to the subway. Always fine. If the ice is accumulating on the wired, the road road stays fine.

#1. Frequent service.
#2. Widely spaced stops.
#3. Pre-payment and all-door boarding.
#4. Signal priority.
#5. Level boarding.

This formula, which Minneapolis calls "aBRT," increased bus ridership 30%.

From Streetsblog, at this link:

Minneapolis Figured Out the Formula for Increasing Bus Ridership
On the A Line, riders can board at any door, buses get priority at traffic lights, and stops are spaced every half mile.

The reviews are in for the Twin Cities’ first enhanced bus route — the A Line — and riders want more.

Metro Transit calls the service arterial Bus Rapid Transit, or “aBRT,” but the A Line has no dedicated right of way as it runs along Snelling Avenue. Instead, the A Line has features that should be common on most bus routes.

Riders pay before boarding and can get on the bus at any door. Peak service runs at least every 10 minutes. Buses do not have to merge back into traffic after picking up riders. After consolidating stops, the A Line now stops about every half-mile along the 10-mile route. Traffic signals hold green lights for buses. And the stations are well-equipped with shelters, arrival displays, and bike racks.

Ridership has increased 30 percent since the $27 million A Line upgrades were completed in 2016, writes William Schroeer, executive director of the transit advocacy group East Metro Strong, at Streets.mn.

There are 12 other bus routes in line for the same type of upgrades, and the success of the A Line seems to be opening up a path for more of those projects to get implemented.

Governor Mark Dayton has proposed $50 million in bonding for similar improvements to other bus routes. And the Pioneer Press gave this approach a resounding endorsement, saying the A Line is a good value that can be replicated quickly and help the region meet the needs of its growing population.

More recommended reading today: Bike Portland says Mayor Ted Wheeler can’t call himself a “climate change mayor” and still back pricey urban highway widenings. And Pedestrian Observations looks at how commute travel patterns differ between high-income and low-income workers.
Not going to happen here because of the Councillors and NIMBY's.

#1. Frequent service.

Not going to happen here because of the Councillors and NIMBY's

With a modal split of 2.5% transit they have a ton of low hanging fruit available. For comparison, even walking gets up to 8%.

Second, I'd place bets that #1 is causing most of the result.

Finally, I'd say King Street pilot fits pretty well with this type of transit design and while not everyone on council was thrilled to give it a go, it did in-fact get a trial run.

With a modal split of 2.5% transit they have a ton of low hanging fruit available. For comparison, even walking gets up to 8%.

Second, I'd place bets that #1 is causing most of the result.

Finally, I'd say King Street pilot fits pretty well with this type of transit design and while not everyone on council was thrilled to give it a go, it did in-fact get a trial run.
I suspect, as do many others, that *King Street itself* comes alive come Summer. Whether the Pilot will further improve or not remains to be seen, there's so much stymieing any further increase in performance.

I was down there again today, autos rampantly ignoring the signs.

Back