News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

QUOTE="H4F33Z, post: 1460000, member: 76520"]
Presentation boards for college station can be found here
[/QUOTE]

From the above:

[

May I ask where this work is being expanded to? Apparently not here:

You know, its not that this render is terrible or anything. If they executed as suggested I could live with it.

BUT

Its completely non-descript.

Pedestrian, ordinary, undistinctive.

It neither relates to the station as is (which I could accept as somewhat dated)..............

Nor does it relate to the art that's there now..........

Nor does it relate to what College Park is.............

Nor does it make its own profound statement.

I'm not asking for particularly expensive material.

Could we just show either a modicum of respect for context, or absent that, some flare of originality?

Just asking.

Looks like they're wiping out all the median trees on Yonge between College and Gerrard. They've never been particularly large or healthy, but I'll still miss the few I've known for 15 years.

Good observation.............

You know what I don't observe is a replacement streetscape plan.

Obviously this will fold into the big Yonge Street project.

But its unfortunate not to see some hint of what direction the City is envisioning at this time.

You know, its not that this render is terrible or anything. If they executed as suggested I could live with it.
BUT
It neither relates to the station as is (which I could accept as somewhat dated)..............
Could we just show either a modicum of respect for context, or absent that, some flare of originality?
Just asking.

Continuing the Deco theme down to the station with Tyndall stone would have been nice. I find it slightly odd that this is a completely separate concourse from the current one - without any attempt to link the two even though it is pretty much right next to each other.

AoD

BUT

Just asking.
Among other reasons, the City may not even own that asset soon. I would rather them focus on actually getting the work done by 2025 (LOL 2023 as if)

Continuing the Deco theme down to the station with Tyndall stone would have been nice. I find it slightly odd that this is a completely separate concourse from the current one - without any attempt to link the two even though it is pretty much right next to each other.

AoD
Might be something to do with the water or sewer line shown in the plan? Some sort of cross-pipe that can't be worked around?

Good observation.............

You know what I don't observe is a replacement streetscape plan.

Obviously this will fold into the big Yonge Street project.

But its unfortunate not to see some hint of what direction the City is envisioning at this time.

At least the construction is being done while YongeTOmorrow planning and consultations are still in their early phase.

I think I am most disappointed that there's no new access to the east side of Yonge. It will also make for a roundabout transfer between streetcar (especially westbound) and subway for anyone needing an elevator.

I find it slightly odd that this is a completely separate concourse from the current one - without any attempt to link the two even though it is pretty much right next to each other.

Might be something to do with the water or sewer line shown in the plan? Some sort of cross-pipe that can't be worked around?

For fire code purposes they want 2 separate concourses. I wonder if they could have considered fire rated doors between them? Or do they have to be completely separated?

(maybe the air velocity in the concourse with vent fans activated would prohibit doors between the 2 concourses...would force them open...i'm not sure)

For fire code purposes they want 2 separate concourses. I wonder if they could have considered fire rated doors between them? Or do they have to be completely separated?

(maybe the air velocity in the concourse with vent fans activated would prohibit doors between the 2 concourses...would force them open...i'm not sure)

It is slightly insane that we are doing this for fire code reasons - and not use it maximize the real benefit of this redo - expanded crush area for the concourse.

AoD

It is slightly insane that we are doing this for fire code reasons - and not use it maximize the real benefit of this redo - expanded crush area for the concourse.

AoD

I agree. Wish there was a way to do both. Maybe fire doors that stay open (with electromagnetics so it will shut during a fire).

The other issue I have is
- the "final" plan includes Jersey barriers along the east edge of Yonge. Why? Why not raise this area to sidewalk level?
- is the new pedestrian area is large enough to include a staircase down to the new concourse (stairs in the concourse could fit between the North platform elevators & North platforms staircase)
- why are they building 5 new offices? Rationale? Purpose? (especially the south one. It creates a long hallway to get to the stairs)
- they should be contemplating the location of the Presto refill kiosk(s) outside the paid area prior to construction

It makes absolutely no sense to me - shared concourse is a very, very common feature in subway systems around the world. And I see they are implementing the Union Station stupid divided stairs again. Did they learn a thing from their design failures?

AoD

At least the construction is being done while YongeTOmorrow planning and consultations are still in their early phase.

I think I am most disappointed that there's no new access to the east side of Yonge. It will also make for a roundabout transfer between streetcar (especially westbound) and subway for anyone needing an elevator.

Way back when............when this was first contemplated as a second exit only, and they weren't looking at elevators, it was actually supposed to come up in Joseph Sheard Parkette. That's the greenspace as Granby turns to become McGill.

I'm not sure what triggered the shift in location.

I know there were objections from area resident to losing a chunk of green space.

Though, I think it may be more to do w/the elevators becoming part of the project.

But I can tell you they had a corridor mapped out to serve that east side, I'm not sure if the new concourse still matches up w/that alignment though.

Of course, I don't think that would have a been a terribly convenient spot either..............

Last edited:
It makes absolutely no sense to me - shared concourse is a very, very common feature in subway systems around the world. And I see they are implementing the Union Station stupid divided stairs again. Did they learn a thing from their design failures?

AoD

I do understand the fire code rule. The wording (to my recollection) is, shall provide a completely independent point of egress.

The concern being what if the fire were in the one and only concourse and blocking the only exit path.

There is no question that the existing concourse/mezzanine is crush loaded at peak times, and would benefit from greater capacity.

Mind you, the pinch points are really platform to concourse capacity, and the overall width of the mezzanine.

I think the station is pretty much abutting the foundations of adjacent properties now (though I haven't confirmed that).

That makes for a very expensive fix.

Rather a shame that this wasn't addressed for the Northbound side when the condo on the s/w corner of Carlton and Yonge went up.

They did secure a wider staircase to the surface w/in said building, but made no move expand underground while a pit was nicely opened up for them.

Where was R.C. Harris when you needed him? ...........

A couple items from the upcoming TTC meeting on Sept 24.

Expropriations in order to move ahead w/easier access to the platform of Spadina Stn line (elevators)

Report below:

Dupont Station update, contract has been transferred from Bondfield to Black and McDonald, new timeline, lane restriction to be removed by year's end, operation of elevators by Spring 2020.

Report Below:

From the Financial Report: Every single station in the system due to get elevators, that is not yet under construction/complete is now in design.

Reactions: PMT

Back