News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Well, that's going to be a hell
I was there yesterday, and it is. Forces everyone walking in both directions down onto the street and a sidewalk that is maybe six feet wide. Numerous people stepping out into traffic to get around the crowd. I wouldn't be shocked if someone gets hit by a car in the next year it is closed.

New accessibility plan is up at part of the new TTC agenda.

It has some back-patting about past accomplishments, some updates on delayed items; but there are also some new (or new to me) bits in there that are interesting.

They have managed to get the funding for making Warden and Islington accessible into the current capital plan.

They are pursuing 'accessibility hubs' which are non-subway stops where multiple routes meet, and they have enhanced waiting features including over-sized shelters, w/doors that have automatic openers, heaters and various other accoutrements.

These are going here:

Updated Elevator Schedule:

They are also going to please @drum118 no end at they launch Easier Access Phase 4, looking at installing redudant elevators at key stations! (its a good idea, period, but Drum has rightly given them a hard time about this)

I noticed Dupont is TBD. Anyone know how far along they are with the retrofits?
Theres a preliminary meeting on King later this week, but its scheduled for completion in 2022. If Dupont is later it will be a while before we hear more about it.

The report is quite clear that they won't be doing the Line 3 stations because it's closing when the Line 2 extension opens. But given the province has been saying that Scarborough extension could be deferred up to 4 more years to 2030, that leaves an interesting dilemma. I suppose the easiest way to make Line 3 fully accessible is just close the other 4 stations sooner than Kennedy or Scarborough Centre.

The report is quite clear that they won't be doing the Line 3 stations because it's closing when the Line 2 extension opens. But given the province has been saying that Scarborough extension could be deferred up to 4 more years to 2030, that leaves an interesting dilemma. I suppose the easiest way to make Line 3 fully accessible is just close the other 4 stations sooner than Kennedy or Scarborough Centre.

Midland is already partially inaccessible. The escalators have been boarded up on one side of the station for over a decade.

The problem is that people do use Midland, Lawrence East and to a certain extent Ellesmere. Closing these stations could be a pain in the ass for large numbers of people, especially with Lawrence East with its bus platforms.

I wonder if they will simply install the movable accessibility devices attached to the staircase like the Harbourfront LRT had at Union prior to the renovations. It is simple, and cost effective.

There's a 0% chance that Bay station will be complete by 2020. It hasnt even started construction and it's a pretty complicated one due to Lower Bay, so I wish the TTC the best of luck with that endeavor.

Dupont was suppose to be done last year .. and then this year. Now TBD. It is Bondfield doing the construction sooo.

I wonder if they will simply install the movable accessibility devices attached to the staircase like the Harbourfront LRT had at Union prior to the renovations. It is simple, and cost effective.
What's the point? They've already announced the station is closing permanently around 2023 when the new subway was supposed to open then. How does it make any difference if they close it, and continue running the RT, or close it, and run subway instead? At least for those using Midland station.

What's the point? They've already announced the station is closing permanently around 2023 when the new subway was supposed to open then. How does it make any difference if they close it, and continue running the RT, or close it, and run subway instead? At least for those using Midland station.

The difference is that the people are impacted without any sort of replacement service.

The difference is that the people are impacted without any sort of replacement service.
When Line 3 closes for good, they aren't getting any replacement service (other than perhaps a few more buses a day). That was announced years ago ... and to my surprise, I haven't seen much protest.

We already know they are going to be impacted, and everyone seems okay with that. Why not impact them as originally scheduled in 2023 or so?

Back