News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Ditto with the moving sidewalks at Pearson & Billy Bishop Airports? Or would they replace them, on orders of the elite who use them?

Not sure but I recall reading that maintenance was cited as reason for eliminating the moving sidearm at Spadina.

Not sure but I recall reading that maintenance was cited as reason for eliminating the moving sidearm at Spadina.
I think that corridor saw more snow, salt, water, and general outdoor foot traffic than either Pearson’s or Billy Bishop’s moving walkways.

And even then, both airports’ moving walkways are often under maintenance.

What would be the ideal solution for Spadina in terms of accessibility? Setting cost aside temporarily. And, with cost in mind - what's actually feasible? I'm curious.

Interesting how the Spadina station easier access has seemingly vanished - https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Projects/Station_Improvements/Spadina_Station/index.jsp. I seem to recall crews digging a couple months ago..

Spadina is impossible to make accessible between the lines. The whole reason they abandoned it as a terminal station was because it could not be made easily accessible. The original idea was to turn it into a terminal station should the University line not work out as planned hence why there is a crossover north of the station and Spadina on the rollsigns.

Spadina is impossible to make accessible between the lines. The whole reason they abandoned it as a terminal station was because it could not be made easily accessible. The original idea was to turn it into a terminal station should the University line not work out as planned hence why there is a crossover north of the station and Spadina on the rollsigns.
They just need to excavate both sides beside the stairs/escalators at the southern end of the platform at Line 1, which is near Lowther St. The is likely sitting on private property above, so that would be a challenge. People accessing Line 1 with accessibility needs would need to enter through the main entrance and make their way through the long hallway. They are better off using the 127 like the could today. Which brings it to the point that they are better off using Dupont if they live north of the Kendal entrance. The distance would be similar.

I doubt it. The TTC is not that forward thinking.
I think the TTC is but the council members on the board aren't. I would like to see something passed without there having to be further reports to them or them asking someone to do research that they can easily do themselves instead of wasting time.

Difficult as it may supposedly be to make Spadina accessible (certainly I don't think it's any more difficult than many of the other stations), I don't believe the AODA would be satisfied by telling patrons to ride the 127 from Kendal/Lowther to the Bloor side of the station and transfer at St George. If that would work, they wouldn't be installing elevators at 90% of the stations that they are.

Yes, they will need to put in elevators at the south end of the Line 1 platform for people to get up to the hallway that leads to Line 2. If there is private property above where they need to excavate and there is no feasible alternative to place the elevators a few metres in another direction, then they will likely need to expropriate.

I don't know if they would be required to also put elevators at the Kendal Rd entrance at the north end of the platform; I'm assuming not, and that the AODA would be satisfied by elevators that go to the hallway that leads to Line 2 and the accessible exit to Bloor St. In fact I'd say that the opposite--having elevators to Kendal and not to the hallway to Line 2--may not be considered accessible, because there is likely far more passenger demand for line 2/the 510/bloor st. and not having an accessible route there cannot be saved by having one to a minor sidestreet well north of those other points of interest.

Back