News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The Lansdowne Green P lot has been repaved and is now just waiting for pavement markings. I haven't checked out the state of the elevators recently, but it looks like this project is wrapping up soon.
PXL_20221006_171219691.jpg

The Lansdowne Green P lot has been repaved and is now just waiting for pavement markings. I haven't checked out the state of the elevators recently, but it looks like this project is wrapping up soon.
View attachment 431107

This is the only elevator project (for a new set of elevators) scheduled to open between now and year's end.

If the TTC holds true to form it will probably be December.

The Lansdowne Green P lot has reopened as of Thursday last week. I haven't checked out the station yet, but I imagine the elevators must be close to being open.

View attachment 442842
View attachment 442841
View attachment 442840
Elevators are indeed close to opening, they took down the hoarding at station level. Of course the colour of the tiles dont really match the rest of the station, but it's better then the piss pour attempt compared to other stations like Runnymede.

Elevators are indeed close to opening, they took down the hoarding at station level. Of course the colour of the tiles dont really match the rest of the station, but it's better then the piss pour attempt compared to other stations like Runnymede.
A good reason why TTC cancel the media event for the opening of the elevators a few weeks ago as it wasn't ready then. Matching tiles for stations has been an issues for TTC going back to Victoria Park rebuilt follow by Dufferin.

Its one reason TTC has try using panels in place of tiles and they don't look great at all. Have to do something when the manufacture has discontinued the line and the ability to get material to match it or has disappeared.

A good reason why TTC cancel the media event for the opening of the elevators a few weeks ago as it wasn't ready then. Matching tiles for stations has been an issues for TTC going back to Victoria Park rebuilt follow by Dufferin.

The elevators at Lansdowne have been fully operational since December. The media event and ribbon cutting was cancelled because the TTC Chair became unavailable that day, and the next day as well, as he was also absent from the February TTC Board meeting with the vice chair presiding.

The elevators at Lansdowne have been fully operational since December. The media event and ribbon cutting was cancelled because the TTC Chair became unavailable that day, and the next day as well, as he was also absent from the February TTC Board meeting with the vice chair presiding.
Anyone have pictures?

Schedule for all TTC stations to be completed by 2025, as required by Provincial AODA Legislation, based on full funding.

Looking elsewhere, New York has now a target year of 2055. From link.

Judge Approves MTA Deal to Make Subways 95% ADA-Compliant by 2055

Despite the distant due date, advocates mostly cheered the settlement, part of a long, multipronged push to make the transit agency comply fully with the Americans with Disabilities Act.​

A Manhattan federal judge on Friday approved a settlement to a class action lawsuit that locks the MTA into equipping 95% of subway and Staten Island Railway stations with elevators or ramps — with a deadline three decades away.

The approval by U.S. District Judge Edgardo Ramos caps one part of a long-running push by advocates for people with disabilities to improve access to a transit system where merely a quarter of the nearly 500 stations comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

“I know this is a very difficult thing to achieve,” Ramos said to a courtroom audience that included multiple plaintiffs who use motorized wheelchairs.

The MTA announced the settlement last June — agreeing to install elevators or ramps by 2055 at the more than 300 stations that are currently inaccessible to wheelchair users and others with mobility impairments — but it wasn’t made official until Friday.

“The transportation system is the lifeline of the city,” lawyer Chloe Holzman of Disability Rights Advocates, the nonprofit legal rights center that represented the plaintiffs, told THE CITY. “And especially for people with disabilities, it’s critical to be able to access employment, education, medical care, family and friends, socializing, entertainment, all the things that people enjoy about New York.”

Local Stops​

Under the terms of the settlement, the transit agency is also committed to meeting several marks in order to keep the 2055 goal on track, including making 81 more stations accessible as part of its more than $50 billion 2020 to 2024 MTA Capital Program. And 15% of New York City Transit’s portion of future capital plan funding must now be set aside for accessibility upgrades.

“It’s a good day, it’s a good day,” said Dustin Jones, a 34-year-old wheelchair user who is a plaintiff in a separate lawsuit against the MTA. “Once again, you know, the disability community has to sue the MTA to get things done.”

The transit agency has been sued repeatedly over subway accessibility in federal and state courts.
Jean Ryan, a motorized wheelchair user who heads the advocacy group Disabled in Action, pointed to the nearly $1 billion Enhanced Station Initiative championed by former Gov. Andrew Cuomo in 2016 that did not include elevators.

“They can’t just do what they want anymore,” said Ryan, 78, who rode in the subway for 25 years before she began using a motorized wheelchair. “People were upset when they were renovating the stations and then they opened the stations and it was just fancy tiles.”

The 2019 federal lawsuit flagged what it called the MTA’s “blatant violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act” by not including elevators or ramps as part of station upgrades.

The MTA backed down in that case last year.

“In the last few years, we at the MTA have come to the same place as our partners in the advocacy community,” Janno Lieber, chairperson and CEO of the authority, said at the time. “And more important, we were able to prove to ourselves and to the world that it is not only a civil right, but it’s actually achievable to drastically accelerate the the pace of ADA accessibility in our system.”

MTA spokesperson Kayla Shults said Friday that the agency is “pleased” with the approval of “this historic agreement.”

Kathleen Collins, a congenital quadruple amputee who was part of the lawsuit, noted the fight for subway accessibility started long before the ADA was put into law in the 1990s.

“Since 1973, any agency that received federal funding based on Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, they were supposed to be making things accessible,” Collins, 65, told THE CITY. “So we’re talking now close to 50 years.”

More Pending Litigation​

Holzman said in court Friday that Disability Rights Advocates attorneys are “very close to resolving” another lawsuit filed against the MTA that challenged the agency for not installing elevators at the Middletown Road station on the No. 6 train in The Bronx when it was closed for renovations between October 2013 and May 2014.

In 2018, then-U.S. Attorney Geoffrey Berman joined that lawsuit, charging that the MTA ignored a push from the Federal Transit Administration to make the elevated station accessible, contending it was not feasible to install elevators. The FTA concluded it would have been possible to install one or more elevators at the stop in Pelham Bay.

A woman carries a stroller down the steps at the 39th Avenue-Dutch Kills subway stop in Queens, which didn’t get elevators during extensive renovations, Feb. 17, 2020.
The Bronx station will eventually have elevators installed as part of the settlement finalized Friday.

Another federal case over subway elevators remains unresolved, as THE CITY reported last month. In that suit, the MTA is accused of failing to properly maintain existing station elevators throughout the transit system.

“The maintenance is so important,” Ryan said. “Why have elevators if you can’t use them?”

Collins, 65, said she rarely uses the subway because of its lack of elevators and instead relies on the MTA’s paratransit system, which has also been called out for allegedly violating the ADA by failing to provide a level of service that is comparable to the bus and subway.

Relying on Access-A-Ride has added up, she said, to “a limited life.”

“My boyfriend’s going to come pick me up and he’s going to take the subway and it’s going to take him 20 minutes,” Collins said. “When I took Access-A-Ride to get to court this morning, I said I wanted to be here at nine and they picked me up at 7:35 a.m.

“Look at the difference — it’s not small.”

The US has had an ADA law in place long before we did, but it never had a drop dead date as to when it was to be 100% completed. We on the other hand have a drop dead date of December 31, 2025 for our OADA that came into effect in the 90's, but will see legal action after that date where single elevator are located as they are out of service or out of action up to 6 months. This forces accessibility riders to travel to another station and do a long travel on the surface to their station if its the elevator to the surface. If it only to the concourse, next station to to travel back to a working elevator, but still a pain in the ass to do it as well waste time.

Europe is moving faster than the US getting elevators installed to the point there are as many as 3 of them. Sadly, some only use one.

what is your source on this you keep repeating it many times over with nothing actually sighted.
It come people who deal with this issue today that have worked with TTC and the government in the past on fixing the issue. Some belong to accessibility groups not related to ACAT. You talk to a few of them and they will say one elevator is not enough.

I have no part in this other what I hear and fully support them. TTC isn't the only one or the city that will have issues come 2026 as there is a lot of business out there still trying to deal with the OADA Act.

Not for me to disclosed people and sources since they control things and have their own timetable. A few have appeared before TTC Commissioners on this matter in the past. Listen to comments and read then regarding the Q&A for QQE regarding elevators.

Why do you think TTC is pushing out elevators fast now for all stations that a few may miss the dead line

It come people who deal with this issue today that have worked with TTC and the government in the past on fixing the issue. Some belong to accessibility groups not related to ACAT. You talk to a few of them and they will say one elevator is not enough.

I have no part in this other what I hear and fully support them. TTC isn't the only one or the city that will have issues come 2026 as there is a lot of business out there still trying to deal with the OADA Act.

Not for me to disclosed people and sources since they control things and have their own timetable. A few have appeared before TTC Commissioners on this matter in the past. Listen to comments and read then regarding the Q&A for QQE regarding elevators.

Why do you think TTC is pushing out elevators fast now for all stations that a few may miss the dead line
So no official source at all just some group that doesn't want to work with others but wants to use the courts instead.

So no official source at all just some group that doesn't want to work with others but wants to use the courts instead.
Only have to look at ACAT to see the reason why other groups are doing what they are doing. Some of those groups have past ACAT members on them.

If one has listen closely over the past decade or so, They will hear the accessibility issues raised time after time across the GTA on all types of projects at all levels.

Back