News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Not a fan of overhead as its an eyesore especially at intersection and distract the street look. The day battery power fleet arrives and overhead is remove is a day too late. This also applies to rail lines.

Battery-powered streetcars exist today and the RR is in the early days of doing it. Subway is a different story at this time and it mainly due to lack of overhead space. 20-30 years may be a different story.
We don't have any real problems in this city that we're worrying about the look of overhead wires?

I wont be surprised if TTC resorts back to hybrids . Similar to when they got a bunch of hybrid buses in the mid 2000s and they were all lemons, forcing TTC to go back to diesel buses.
I'm calling it, the reliability of these buses and the fleet will plummet , and the next CEO will have to answer for it.
That presumes that there will be hybrids to buy (and capacity from those selling them). Nova is already signalling that they will only have hybrids for sale in 2027 subject to sufficient demand, and they are completely exiting the diesel (end 2025) and CNG (end 2026) markets. https://www.londontransit.ca/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Staff-Report-1-Contract-Award.pdf

That presumes that there will be hybrids to buy (and capacity from those selling them). Nova is already signalling that they will only have hybrids for sale in 2027 subject to sufficient demand, and they are completely exiting the diesel (end 2025) and CNG (end 2026) markets. https://www.londontransit.ca/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Staff-Report-1-Contract-Award.pdf
The same company that provided us trolley buses are the same company making our current ebuses. Same company will also continue to make diesel and hybrid buses for the foreseeable future . That company is called New flyer, Formally called Flyer. So if Nova wants out if the bus market, Newflyer will be available.

The same company that provided us trolley buses are the same company making our current ebuses. Same company will also continue to make diesel and hybrid buses for the foreseeable future . That company is called New flyer, Formally called Flyer. So if Nova wants out if the bus market, Newflyer will be available.
A (big) battery ebus and a trolley pole (with a smaller battery) ebus isn't that much different. One has a power souce, the big battery while the other has two power sources, a smaller battery and two trolley poles. Everything else could be the same.

Guess there won't be new artics anytime soon after this order if that's being phased out.

A (big) battery ebus and a trolley pole (with a smaller battery) ebus isn't that much different. One has a power souce, the big battery while the other has two power sources, a smaller battery and two trolley poles. Everything else could be the same.

Guess there won't be new artics anytime soon after this order if that's being phased out.
TTC just got New flyer hybrid artic's within the last year. I would assume, if Nova leaves the hybrid market and no 60ft ebus in sight, then new flyer will be the sole provider. NFI has both ebus articulated and hybrid articulated.
Only downfall is, I'm sure New Flyer will milk TTC when the time comes to replace the existing Nova artic fleet.

I do find the ride quality on the NFI buses way better than the Novas, so if NFI does gouge TTC at least it will be better.

Also, NFI already has automated driverless buses available as well.

TTC just got New flyer hybrid artic's within the last year. I would assume, if Nova leaves the hybrid market and no 60ft ebus in sight, then new flyer will be the sole provider. NFI has both ebus articulated and hybrid articulated.
Only downfall is, I'm sure New Flyer will milk TTC when the time comes to replace the existing Nova artic fleet.

I do find the ride quality on the NFI buses way better than the Novas, so if NFI does gouge TTC at least it will be better.
If you read what the report said, it's the end of the line for hybrid artics. The current engines don't meet the EPA2027 specs and thus cannot be sold in a few years. They need Cummins to develop a new engine and NFI needs to invest a significant amount of money to make it fit a new chassis. If interest is low, they rather not develop one. Nova would only make 40 foot hybrids (if demand is met) and ebuses.

Articulated ebus is a premature technology. TTC hasn't been convinced to pliot one yet.

If you read what the report said, it's the end of the line for hybrid artics. The current engines don't meet the EPA2027 specs and thus cannot be sold in a few years. They need Cummins to develop a new engine and NFI needs to invest a significant amount of money to make it fit a new chassis. If interest is low, they rather not develop one. Nova would only make 40 foot hybrids (if demand is met) and ebuses.

Articulated ebus is a premature technology. TTC hasn't been convinced to pliot one yet.
Cummins is already introducing the X10 and hybrid version for EPA 2027. NFI will be testing this out before full rollout.

The report speaks to Nova and NFI , yes. But the information I have is way more recent than the report.

Cummins is already introducing the X10 and hybrid version for EPA 2027. NFI will be testing this out before full rollout.

The report speaks to Nova and NFI , yes. But the information I have is way more recent than the report.
That would be great if that's accurate.

I find it strange that NA can't supply an articulate ebus, yet a rode a lot of them in Europe and sat on the bus while recharging back in 2022. Even watch them charging at bus terminals using various types of overhead systems. Charging was done in less than 10 minutes. Saw more articulate buses than 42'- 45' in places that had DD back in 2012.

I find it strange that NA can't supply an articulate ebus, yet a rode a lot of them in Europe and sat on the bus while recharging back in 2022. Even watch them charging at bus terminals using various types of overhead systems. Charging was done in less than 10 minutes. Saw more articulate buses than 42'- 45' in places that had DD back in 2012.
You can buy one. The XE60 exists but the maximum range offered is the 186 mile model compared to the 254 mile for the XE40. That is only 73% of the range. They would be more suited for rush hour runs like 941 Keele, 953 Steeles East or 985B Sheppard East.

When the TTC did the test, they estimated that only around 70% of the actual capacity is usable for service. TTC indicates their current XE40s have a 400kWh capacity but NFI offers up to 520 kWh models now. A 30% improvement. That puts the best new XE60s around 10-20 miles less than the existing 5-year-old XE40s. They are differently not suitable for all-day routes.

Reference:

You can buy one. The XE60 exists but the maximum range offered is the 186 mile model compared to the 254 mile for the XE40. That is only 73% of the range. They would be more suited for rush hour runs like 941 Keele, 953 Steeles East or 985B Sheppard East.

When the TTC did the test, they estimated that only around 70% of the actual capacity is usable for service. TTC indicates their current XE40s have a 400kWh capacity but NFI offers up to 520 kWh models now. A 30% improvement. That puts the best new XE60s around 10-20 miles less than the existing 5-year-old XE40s. They are differently not suitable for all-day routes.

Reference:
BYD also has an artic, but the experience with those seem mixed at best. Los Angeles bought some of them four years ago and only now are they apparently going into service

BYD also has an artic, but the experience with those seem mixed at best. Los Angeles bought some of them four years ago and only now are they apparently going into service
Indianapolis IndyGo has BYD (RIDE) 60' for their 2 of 3 BRT Lines now in service that required extra charging stations along the first one RED that open in 2019. The 3rd one BLUE opens in 2027.

A few place had BYD (RIDE) removed their buses from their systems for various reasons.

Back