News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Steve Munro suggests that the TTC may need to bring streetcars back to Yonge to replace the Blue night bus service, and of course makes no mention of the possibility of 24-hour subway service.
I'm pretty sure that line was a joke, chief.

Between Eglinton and Steeles on Yonge Street could handle streetcars during the day,and between Queens Quay and Steeles during the night after the subway goes to bed. Why not?

And since streetcars could go underground and run on the same tracks gauge as the subway... Actually no, the platforms are too high. However, on a separate tunnel, yes to downtown. Why not?

I like streetcars on ROW though only.

I'm pretty sure that line was a joke, chief.

I think it was too, but maybe it isn't, you never know. If I thought he was truly serious I would have pointed out what was wrong with his suggestion.

Anyways, why do you call me "chief?" I don't understand what that means...

anyone know when the new subway cars are coming.

About the changes, prehaps the saving grace of the TTC is its number of routes and their frequencies.

It seems that the 39E is now less of a regular "express" and more of a "limited-stop" service.

I noticed that too with the longer "express" segment and the additional stops at all major streets. The 96E operates much like this (long express segment with stops at major roads otherwise) as well, but is only rush hours right now. Toronto can use more of these, please!

And since streetcars could go underground and run on the same tracks gauge as the subway... Actually no, the platforms are too high.

No problem for these vehicles from Pittsburgh...

img_49932.jpg

MUNI also has split level doors. Buffalo has high plaforms in the subway, with ramps used at the driver's end for the low-platform downtown surface stops. It's pretty common.

The subway cars are wider than streetcar/LRT cars, so not compatible, unless a bridge/ramp is used. I don't think it would work using LRT vehicles on subway tracks.

In the 1950's the first red subway cars would towed on streetcars tracks to the Davisville yard.

They could use the subway tracks in a non-revenue basis to move the new LRT vehicles around in Transit City, but only if there is some connection between the two. A shoe would have to be connected in place of the pantograph to power the vehicle.

I've never heard of it in that context. I thought calling someone chief either meant that they were a mechanical expert, or an Indian, along the lines of other insults like wagon burner.

I've never heard of it in that context. I thought calling someone chief either meant that they were a mechanical expert, or an Indian, along the lines of other insults like wagon burner.

"Great Caesar's Ghost! You missed it by about that much." Two old television series, The Adventures of Superman and Get Smart, will help you with where the word "chief" is used.

"Great Caesar's Ghost! You missed it by about that much." Two old television series, The Adventures of Superman and Get Smart, will help you with where the word "chief" is used.
Those references date back to the last century, as do my suggested native inferences. I'd say calling someone chief in the 21st century is very unlikely to remind the listener of 20th century programs.

I think Panzerfaust's explanation of the word "chief" as referring to someone who takes a joke seriously was itself a joke. But i'm not sure.

I have only ever heard "chief" being used in the movie Good Will Hunting - a great movie, btw - and I just wondered what it meant, that's all. I don't think Robin Williams used it the way Panzerfaust says it should be. It might be because of bad writing, but then again Matt Damon and Ben Affleck did win an Oscar for best screenplay...

Back