News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Steve Munro addresses this on his blog after talking to a TTC engineer. While the new LRV is heavier, the "unsprung weight" is less then on the CLRV/ALRV. On the current vehicles, the motors and other equipment is rigidly attached to the trucks. On the new vehicles, there are two sets sets of suspension between the wheels and the motors, gearing, etc, so in effect there is less weight being transmitted into the tracks.

Makes sense. Thanks.

So the at-rest weight is more, but the impact weight is less.

That's a better way to say it. It's interesting that there are overall three sets of suspension. Two spring suspensions and "ultra-soft" wheels that incorporate a sort of large rubber stationary bearings kind-of-thing inside the wheels. That along with new track construction methods should hopefully mean our track network will last at least a good 30 or 40 years while providing much smoother rides (fingers crossed).

Personally, I'm happy to see the forward lights on top are blue rather than green. I do not have 20/20 vision and sometimes it can be annoying trying to differentiate at night between a distant green light and a streetcar. Whereas I have no problem determining that there is a bus trundling down the road, because of the blue LEDs.

I wanted to make it out for a tour, but it isn't going to happen. Thanks for the photos and videos.

I always thought that the blue lights indicated a handicapped-accessible vehicle. Granted, if all TTC vehicles become handicapped-accessible, then the lights become useful for distinguishing arriving TTC vehicles, but that's not the lights' origin.

While at the mock-up display today, I noticed all the (dummy) cameras on the OUTSIDE of the streetcar. I do know the real ones will be for the driver’s benefit, but I would guess they will also record. If so, couldn’t the driver “bookmark” an offence committed by a passing automobile or SUV driver? The police could then go through the recordings and at the “bookmarks” find the license plates and issue tickets through the mail or make a personal appearance for repeat offenders.

Without signage indicating that the drivers were being videotaped, they probably can't do that. They may not even record the exterior cameras.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I always thought that the blue lights indicated a handicapped-accessible vehicle. Granted, if all TTC vehicles become handicapped-accessible, then the lights become useful for distinguishing arriving TTC vehicles, but that's not the lights' origin.

Correct, the blue lights indicate an accessible vehicle. The bonus is that upper blue lights on a streetcar can be considered as continuing the heritage of having "advance lights" on Toronto streetcars.

Does anyone know what route two blue advance lights used to indicate, if any?

@MetroMan

The doors open parallel to the body of the streetcar, unlike the current ones that open facing drivers and have little stop signs not he doors. How will drivers know the doors are opening? A light? Anything more obvious?

I share your concerns.

It strikes me that we do not take this safety problem seriously enough and that our response is too weak. On the current streetcars, the sticker in the back window telling drivers not to pass open doors is wholly inadequate for the job.

I think it would be preferable to have a big, bold, well-lit electronic LED sign on the back of cars that would flash something like: "Approaching stop. Do not pass open doors".

Moreover, I think this message should be "massaged" into the public consciousness more strongly. On arterial roads and limited-access highways that cross into the city limits, why do we not have signs with this message, right next to signs that show you're entering the city and list parking / speed limit rules?

I realize that stopping for open streetcar doors is part of our rules of the road, but the city does get many visitors that may not be accustomed to sharing the road with streetcars. Plus, many drivers require reminders of good habits, just like with wearing seatbelts and leaving enough room between you and the next car.

I think it would be preferable to have a big, bold, well-lit electronic LED sign on the back of cars that would flash something like: "Approaching stop. Do not pass open doors".
I think the LED should say "We've given our riders big pointy metal sticks and told them to use them on cars that are too close".

It strikes me that we do not take this safety problem seriously enough and that our response is too weak.

What are the actual statistics of how many people get hit by passing cars while boarding streetcars? Is this actually a serious safety problem?

Good point, Tulse. I have no idea what the numbers are, and so no solid basis to suggest it's a big public safety issue.

My observation is anecdotal - that of a streetcar rider who feels the problem of drivers not stopping is getting worse. On almost every streetcar ride, I see multiple incidents of cars not stopping and drivers honking their weak streetcar horns at them as they drive off. Granted, I've not yet seen an actual accident. That said, I think it's wrong headed that the onus is on the alighting passenger to do a lot of due diligence if they value their health. If it's a bad day and mistakes happen, it's the passenger who will be injured.

I fret about accidents waiting to happen due to a system where both parties have to pay attention. But by virtue of the fact that that they've got the weapon, drivers ought to pay more attention. Yet, the way our system is set up today, we neither shout this expectation out to drivers (through clear communications), nor do police enforce the law frequently enough that behavior changes en masse. Which is what makes riders like me get antsy.

I think it's wrong headed that the onus is on the alighting passenger to do a lot of due diligence if they value their health. If it's a bad day and mistakes happen, it's the passenger who will be injured.
I don't disagree. And in the sense of fair disclosure, I work for a safety organization, so generally I am in favour of doing what we reasonably can to keep people from getting injured. But I also think it is important to have hard data about the prevalence of the injuries we're trying to prevent. So, by all means, let's ensure that the streetcars have an appropriate warning system to drivers, and let's enforce the laws against passing unloading streetcars, but let's also recognize that there may be far more common dangers out there to TTC passengers.

Like the wide family seat especially made for people like Rob Ford, but I doubt he'll make use of the new streetcars.

You're hillarious. Do you make fun of all fat people? Must make you feel really smug. Grow up.

Back