News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

One component I forgot to look close at were the lights and lamps. And ask questions about, as well

No doubt there will be no incandescent bulbs on the vehicles, but would they be using LED tubes instead of fluorescent tubes? Currently, the LED tubes are still expensive, but do without an electrical inductive ballast. Once they get lower in price, I will be replaced my fluorescent tubes in my home with LED tubes and bypassing the ballasts. The LED tubes could last 15 years, half the life of the new streetcars. (Outliving most buses.)

241010___LED_Tub_4e0b793e862db.jpg

\

Last edited:
the LED tubes are still expensive, but do without an electrical inductive ballast.

They require a regulated current supply, which is generally switched mode, and contains inductors.

The LED tubes could last 15 years

The plastic will last that long, but the half life of an LED is about 35,000 hours.

When governments around the world take on costly transit projects, they often buy used equipment as the first rolling stock, eventually buying new rolling stock within a generation after initial costs have been absorbed. We were going to buy ancient diesel trains for the airport link and I also heard that used EMUs might be the first electrified trains on the Lakeshore line. So it's not like it's a matter of developing countries buying very old equipment for lack of expertise. These governments get assistance from organizations like the UN to train engineers in the latest technology and have student exchanges. The relatively small amount of graduates like engineers are most likely to go into the public sector without a highly advanced private sector.

When governments around the world take on costly transit projects, they often buy used equipment as the first rolling stock, eventually buying new rolling stock within a generation after initial costs have been absorbed. We were going to buy ancient diesel trains for the airport link and I also heard that used EMUs might be the first electrified trains on the Lakeshore line. So it's not like it's a matter of developing countries buying very old equipment for lack of expertise. These governments get assistance from organizations like the UN to train engineers in the latest technology and have student exchanges. The relatively small amount of graduates like engineers are most likely to go into the public sector without a highly advanced private sector.

Funny you mention that, since I've seen GO passenger cars and engines being used on Montreal's commuter system, and on Ontario Northland trains.

Anyways, I was wondering, with the new streetcars do you think we will see the signal priority switched on the Spadina/Harbourfront and St. Clair routes? One of the reasons for not doing this currently is because with so many streetcars stopping and passengers having to pay one at a time, the bunching is inevitable - and so would the constant green lights on these avenues. However, with larger vehicles and proof of payment, they could operate less vehicles along the line and focus on headways with no excuses.

Of course, with Rob "War on Transit" Ford as mayor of Toronto, I suppose I shouldn't hold my breath.

Plus, they aren't accessible which a non-starter just about everywhere. Sure you could rebuild them with modern control systems and wheelchair lifts, but at what cost?
Toronto, Ont.
Uh, what? Do you realize that most of the world has few or no standards for accessibility?

Last edited:
Until we get the new streetcars, we can put a streetcar in our rec rooms with a streetcar wall mural. See this link.

I assume this is connected to the delivery of the new streetcars from Bombardier.

T11PL11865 - M65-2 - Hillcrest Complex Spur Line Construction

The scope of work includes but is not limited to; the installation of track switch, ballast, sub-ballast up to the TTC’s property line that will provide the connection between CP rail and the TTC Spur Line.

As far as our current fleet of streetcars are they still maintaining them? They look incredible rusty and like they're just flaking away.

I thought the new order of "legacy" non-TC streetcars will replace the existing fleet.
If and when they show up.

They are 5 years late now, with the possibility we will see 3 prototypes by year end.

25 are supposed to be delivery in 2013 after testing of the 3 prototypes.

The existing fleet or parts of it will still be around come 2020 as there not enough new cars to replace the fleet 100% using the current headway's.

If and when they show up.

They are 5 years late now, with the possibility we will see 3 prototypes by year end.

25 are supposed to be delivery in 2013 after testing of the 3 prototypes.

The existing fleet or parts of it will still be around come 2020 as there not enough new cars to replace the fleet 100% using the current headway's.

Thats a little disappointing. I expected better from Bombardier. Do you know if all Flexity Freedom streetcars are delayed or is it only the ones that Toronto has ordered?

The TTC has been very clear that the CLRVs and ALRVs will be all gone from regular service when the current order arrives circa 2018.

They've also made it clear that they don't intend to maintain current peak-period headways. Nor do they need to on many routes, where there are already too many streetcars trying to get through some intersections that it starts to create it's own congestion.

Thats a little disappointing. I expected better from Bombardier. Do you know if all Flexity Freedom streetcars are delayed or is it only the ones that Toronto has ordered?
Hang on. Much of the delay Dave is referring to was from before TTC ever issued the tender in the first place. Also, the "Freedom" isn't what is being used on the existing streetcar network. It's more similar to what has been ordered for the new Eglinton, Finch West, Sheppard East, and SRT lines. Note for example the 2.65 m width in the specs, among other things.

Last edited:
The TTC has been very clear that the CLRVs and ALRVs will be all gone from regular service when the current order arrives circa 2018.

They've also made it clear that they don't intend to maintain current peak-period headways. Nor do they need to on many routes, where there are already too many streetcars trying to get through some intersections that it starts to create it's own congestion.

Hang on. Much of the delay Dave is referring to was from before TTC ever issued the tender in the first place. Also, the "Freedom" isn't what is being used on the existing streetcar network. It's more similar to what has been ordered for the new Eglinton, Finch West, Sheppard East, and SRT lines. Note for example the 2.65 m width in the specs, among other things.

I subscribe to Tramways & Urban Transit magazine (from UK). See http://www.tramnews.net/ and http://www.lrta.org/ for subscriptions. The worldwide rolling stock orders on the books for 2012 shows more than 3,000 new trams and LRVs are currently on order from 17 manufactures. The majority are low-floor. The prices range €1.75 m (Citadis Compact) to €3.37 m (Dualis tram-train) with roughly €3m being typical. The largest order on the books currently are for, surprise surprise, Toronto, with 195 Flexity Freedom for delivery between 2013-15 and 182 LRV (custom) for delivery between 2014-16, both from Bombardier. Subject to change of course, since the delivery dates in the magazine article I am reading from seem suspect to me. I think the quantity and dates should be switched between the two Toronto orders. The magazine is from the UK, so the information is from a foreign source.

Other non-World Class cities with orders are:

• Paris with 107
  • Berlin with 99
  • Krakow with 24
  • Melbourne with 50
  • Wien with 20 (Bombardier)
  • Stockholm with 15 + 106
  • Warsawa with 186 + 40
  • Calgary with 38
  • Wien with 104 (Siemens)
  • Praha with 250

Last edited: