News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

You do realize the economy-wide average includes unions? Take you union-hating self elsewhere!

Not hating anybody but the average is including unions less and less. Only about 15% of the workforce today is unionized outside the broader public sector.

I take it as a compliment to be called a union hater. :)

Anyway, they're on the demise. It's only a matter of a time before they're a thing of the past. The larger general public has little sympathy for such antiquated entitlements like 'jobs for life' (seriously!?) and bankable sick days.

The times they are a changing.

I'm not a union hater but things need to change at the TTC. So much of the TTCs problems are because of the unions.

I would have said the split shifts which in essence make a 14 hour workday. I would have difficulty arriving to work at the end of a week like that.

A breakdown of that number would be nice. Morning, evening, split, and overnight shifts.

Last edited:
I take it as a compliment to be called a union hater.

Anyway, they're on the demise. It's only a matter of a time before they're a thing of the past. The larger general public has little sympathy for such antiquated entitlements like 'jobs for life' (seriously!?) and bankable sick days.

You are right sir! And as a result, antiquities like the 40 hour work week, a living wage, a middle class, and a booming economy are likely to be things of the past too. Fortunately, I am a corporate fat cat. Hope you are too! Wait, don't you live in Cityplace?

Hawc is a good little union hater! He wants to work 80 hours a pay for pennies, in an unsafe workplace!

He has little sympathy for those who want a decent living!

Hawc is a good little union hater! He wants to work 80 hours a pay for pennies, in an unsafe workplace!

He has little sympathy for those who want a decent living!

He'll probably want the operator's seat to include a toilet in the new streetcars, to remove the breaks to get to a washroom if they have diarrhea or whatever.

Although it's clearly off-topic here, I don't think that opposing unions (especially public-sector unions or quasi-public-sector unions like the TTC) makes one a bad person. I personally agree that public-sector unions long ago lost their raison d'etre.

That being said, I can't wait for the new streetcars. I hate how people bunch up at the front of the current cars so you can't get on when there's plenty of space at the back to move back.

Oh give it a rest. I hardly think trimming transit unions is going to wipe out the middle class.

I take it as a compliment to be called a union hater. :)

Because they are jealous - if they do not have it no one else should. Lots of companies have policy if sick days not used people get paid at end of year. And in the private sector, there are companies where people get 12 days. Getting paid at end of year for days not worked is no different than banking days. But of course those that work for companies that do not offer this do not want anyone else to have it. I worked for large financial company that contributed solely to RRSP for employees - year 1 was 3% of salary, year 2 was 6% and by year 5 it was 15% of salary including any overtime worked. Is that not generous? And employees did not have to contribute at all. That is way more generous than public plans I think. But people always quote the companies that do not offer such benefits to justify getting rid of public sector benefits instead of trying to raise the benefits of all.

Last edited:
I don't think that opposing unions (especially public-sector unions or quasi-public-sector unions like the TTC) makes one a bad person. I personally agree that public-sector unions long ago lost their raison d'etre.

Opposition to unions does not, in and of itself, make you a "bad person". But if you are going to express that opposition, you will likely hear from people who disagree with you. And if the words you self-identify with are "union hater", then those who support unions, as a concept, may be brash in their disagreement, because you are brash in expressing your position.

And while it doesn't make you a bad person, if you do not believe that unions greatly assisted in the rise in the working person's standard of living through the 1900s, you don't know your history. And if you do not believe that the decline in unions has contributed to the wage stagnation for working people over the last 30 years, you do not know your economics. And if you do not realize that the anti-union rhetoric you use has been fed to you by the propaganda organs of the rich, then you don't know your politics. And if you are using this rhetoric but are a working person, you do not know your self-interest.

As an employer and an employee, I feel very strong that no sick day should be roll over yearly nor paid for not using them.

Unions did raise the standard of living in the beginning, but are their own worse nightmare now. Today we hear union after union merging with others, as that's the only way they can survive and pay their retire members as well run them.

I have seen various fields of employment disappear due to companies unable to change to meet off shore imports or changes to technology.

One has to look at the RR to see this were it took years to get rid of the Firemen once diesel replace the steam locomotive. Then it was the removal of the cabooses to end device.

In transit it was the replacement of the fare collectors on streetcars to the movement of automation of rapid transit that has seen a reduction of personnel to a point.

As we move from our current streetcar fleet to the new one, there will be a lost of personal once we move to longer headway's to meet the bean counter needs. In fact, we will see a reduction in the maintenance for the first 5 years or so if the manufacturer of these cars are right for length been servicing. The current crew will have to be train 100% to look after these new cars as they show up and some may not cut it.

Being on both sides of the coin, will take a highly train non union company over a union company.

Last edited:
Before the Yonge Street Subway went into service, the Peter Witt streetcar trains ran on Yonge Street, Bay Street, and other streets as well. The trains had an operator who only drove the train, and a conductor in the first car and another conductor in the second car or trailer. At non-busy times, such as Sundays, only the streetcar would be used without a trailer. (No air-conditioning.)

ttc2514.jpg

6a00e54fcad73688330168e914ed00970c-800wi

streetcar-4602-05.jpg

ttc2783.jpg

Passengers would board into a holding area, and paid their fare (or show their transfer) as they passed the conductor into the paid fare area or as they exited. They did not exit through the entrance door. That meant 3 employees on the train.

With the new streetcars, the length will be close to the length of a Peter Witt train (streetcar and trailer), but with only 1 employee on-board who will only drive the vehicle. Passengers would either pre-pay or pay on-board. There will be other employees who will check that the fare was paid on occasion. Unlike the Peter Witts, PCC, or CLRV's, ALL doors will be used for boarding and egressing.

BT-4888-FLEXITY_Freedom.jpg

Last edited:
From Portland Transportation:

TriMet announces new Type 5 MAX vehicle

In response to criticism that it is underfunding its bus system in favor of rail, TriMet has announced plans to cancel a prior solicitation for rolling stock as part of the Portland-Milwaukie project. Instead of purchasing conventional light-rail EMUs (Electric Multiple Units), the agency instead intends to partner with Oregon Iron Works to build a novel bus-rail hybrid, a design it calls a "railbus".

The new vehicles, which will also be known as Type 5 vehicles internally, will consist of articulated electric-powered flatbed cars, with room for one 40' TriMet bus to be parked on each articulated section--two busses per car, or up to four busses in a typical 2-car consist. "Once again, TriMet is a leader in coming up with innovative transit solutions", said general manager Neil McFarlane at an April 1 press conference announcing the new vehicle technology. A picture of the prototype vehicle, taken at the Oregon Iron Works test track in Clackamas, is as follows:

type_5_MAX_train.jpg

According to TrIMet, once railbus technology matures, it may be possible for this vehicle configuration to support branching, providing both the advantages of rail and of bus rapid transit (BRT). For example, rather than requiring Line 33 passengers to transfer to MAX at Milwaukie, in the future it may be possible for the northbound 33 to simply pull into the Lake Road station, drive onto one of the flatbed sections, and continue its journey to downtown Portland on rails, obviating the need for a transfer.

A few issues remain to be worked out with the technology, which is expected to be ready for the Milwaukie-Portland line's planned 2015 opening. The prototype vehicle is not yet ADA-compliant, as even low-floor busses have boarding height issues when mounted on railcars. And the proposal has drawn some fire with ATU Local 757, which is demanding that each bus which is part of a Type 5 train nonetheless have a driver on board, whereas TriMet insists that one operator per train is sufficient.

Still, the agency has high hopes for the technology. "Just as the Portland Streetcar launched a revolution in urban design last decade, we believe that the Type 5 railbus will continue Portland's leadership".

The article is dated April 1st, 2012.

Back