News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The validators are beside the SRVMs, so they're close, but definately not an arms reach.

You'll pass them as you enter the doors. Another reason not to block the doorways.

ttc-new-streetcar-rear-interior.jpg

ttc-new-streetcar-interior-folding.jpg

The SRVM and/or PRESTO should be close to each other. Can still be moved around and adjusted for height or placement.

Last edited:
We know for certain that won't be the case at least for the next few years. I'm not even sure if the Commission ever plans to have a fare machine at every single stop. Seems like a waste of money to me.

Don't know the meaning of the word "busier"? The machines will not be at every stop, they'll be used off-board at the busier stops.

It's great that there will be machines at stops, you can pay while waiting for the next vehicle.

That harkens back to the days when the TTC had conductors on the streetcars. The driver only drove. On the Peter Witt streetcars, people entered at the front door only. They must exit at the rear doors, passing by the conductor. At the conductor, passengers had to either deposit a ticket or show a transfer. They could buy tickets from the conductor, when needed. Similar to the above post.

Peter_Witt_Car_1024x1024.jpg

Pay As You Pass.

Passengers in the rear of the streetcar, have already paid.

Last edited:
That harkens back to the days when the TTC had conductors on the streetcars. The driver only drove.
I wasn't in Toronto back then, but I remember this on other systems (with buses). I remember being really puzzled the first time I got on a bus where the driver was selling the tickets. It seemed really odd to me, that the entire bus came to a halt while you paid the driver, and he gave you change and a ticket. It just felt wrong ...

I wasn't in Toronto back then, but I remember this on other systems (with buses). I remember being really puzzled the first time I got on a bus where the driver was selling the tickets. It seemed really odd to me, that the entire bus came to a halt while you paid the driver, and he gave you change and a ticket. It just felt wrong ...

GO buses are like that, though with it being a regional bus system it makes a bit more sense.

GO buses are like that, though with it being a regional bus system it makes a bit more sense.
The TTC is like that ... other than the change bit ... and that we call "tickets" "transfers" here.

Of course, back in the day, there was no door near the driver ... so even boarding at the front of the vehicle instead of the back felt strange.

You'll pass them as you enter the doors. Another reason not to block the doorways.

The SRVM and/or PRESTO should be close to each other. Can still be moved around and adjusted for height or placement.

Those are the presto readers, there are six of them on board. The fare validators are a box with a slot that you stick a child or student/senior ticket into to get time stamped. There are two on board, one beside each SRVM. Once we move fully to Presto, the validators will be removed.

So nothing like this then? Damn.

Conducteur_Combino_Amsterdam.jpg

Interesting that you posted this - it's not entirely representative of the situation in Amsterdam.

It looks like the conductor is stamping some kind of day pass. Most passengers on the Amsterdam trams would be using the OV (public transit) chip card, which has been the only form of payment accepted since 2010.

The conductor booth in this particular case is a bit of an anomaly. The length of the 5-section Siemens Combino used in Amsterdam is restricted by the use of passing loops on three routes that run on Leidsestraat (which is too narrow to allow two-way streetcar traffic) and as a result, one of the two wheel-less sections of the streetcar is shorter than the other, which means only one set of doors instead of two. This involves the 4th of the 5 sections, where the conductor booth is located in the unidirectional trams. Fare inspection must take place mostly while the streetcar is stopped and since there is limited space for passengers to stand and wait, it means relatively long dwell times.

However, the phase-in of the chip card has largely eliminated that.

Bi-directional trams are not configured for two-person operation, hence there is no conductor booth, and the booth is closed during service on the two lines that have a single operator.

For the most part, people get on and off using whichever set of doors is convenient and tap on and off right at the door.

As I remember on those newer trams in Amsterdam (the ones with the conductor booth on board), some of the doors were only for boarding, and some just for exiting (I think it was half/half). You could buy tickets from the conductor. If it was less busy, there was no conductor, and you would buy the ticket at the front from the driver. This was in summer 2012.

The tickets were paper, but with a chip inside, so once you bought it, you had to tap on the reader, then tap out when you got off. If you didn't tap-out, then the ticket became useless, and you couldn't tap in anywhere else. That happened to me, and I had to pay another 1.50 Euros to get onto the subway...

As noted above, Amsterdam is a number of systems in Europe that sale and collect fares as you enter the front door. The 2nd collector throw me and the only place I saw a 2nd collector on my trip. You can only enter the tram at 2 doors where fare is collected, but allow to use all 5 doors to get off. The other 3 doors have gates to stop riders from getting on as they only open to let rider off.

Also, the driver has the funds exposed that they used to collect fares or supply change back to you.

It was the first thing that stood out to me when I first used transit in 2012 on my trip.

Back