News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The delays with the Flexity Outlook streetcar order from Bombardier may, correction will, have a problem with their other Flexity Freedom order for the light rail vehicles to be used on the Crosstown LRT. However, those Flexity Freedom vehicles will not have the street level ramps, the problem would be more with available space at the factory to assemble them.
What problems are these? They are current churning out 2 or 3 TR subway cars a week, and this ends in late 2015 or early 2016 long before they have to start deliveries for the Flexity Freedom.

The first Flexity Freedom delivery is scheduled in summer 2016 for the late 2017 opening of the Waterloo Ion line. It shouldn't be too onerous to deliver those 14 cars at about one a month. Then they can ramp up in 2017 to deliver the 76 vehicles for Eglinton. Not that I'm particularly optimistic about the 2020 opening. I wouldn't be surprised that when they announce the winning bidder later this year, that the schedule slips to 2022.

There have been all 3 in-service vehicles running at various times today ... there were 2 out at 7 AM. All 3 are out now. One would assume they are doing fine.

It's the 30 year old senior streetcars having problems with the cold temperatures.

It's the 30 year old senior streetcars having problems with the cold temperatures.
Judging by the lack of ALRVs out there, it's not the 34-38 year old streetcars that are the issue, but the newer 26-28 year old ones. So perhaps not an age issue ...

Judging by the lack of ALRVs out there, it's not the 34-38 year old streetcars that are the issue, but the newer 26-28 year old ones. So perhaps not an age issue ...

It's not specifically an age issue with the As, but age certainly hasn't helped them cope with the cold either.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The ALRVs are [apparently] hell to maintain. Not surprising since they're presumably more complicated than a CLRV. The sooner we scrap them the better.

Love the ALRVs, sucks that they have been a disappointment. They can't even use them on Spadina, where they were sorely needed until the flexity's came.

Love the ALRVs, sucks that they have been a disappointment. They can't even use them on Spadina, where they were sorely needed until the flexity's came.

From last March. This was the first and most likely last time I'll see an ALRV on Spadina. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the last time an ALRV will be down there if they're retired on time. The things rarely go down there because if they were to break down in the station there would be no [easy] way to get them out due to their weight. I was way too excited to catch the thing :)

GQajssY.jpg

The ALRVs are [apparently] hell to maintain. Not surprising since they're presumably more complicated than a CLRV. The sooner we scrap them the better.

30 of them are getting a life extension, which should help their reliability. They've probably been on deferred maintenance for a while so a rebuild should help. TTC does things like immediately cutting back on heavy maintenance and equipment overhauls as soon as they determine that some replacement vehicles are coming in five years.

Back