News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What TTC should do for the next 60 cars is to order the ones for Ottawa and run them on 509, 510 and 512 since they will be longer than the new ones here.

In fact, you will only need 2 of them than the 3 plan for Eglinton and else where.

You can use them for GO and Tram-Train operation.

BBD needs to be told where to go and pay the price in doing so.

Once Ottawa has the new cars, TTC should lease one for testing on their system, especially 509, 510 and 512 since they will have very little impact on traffic in the first place being long than the our new ones. The only issue for them will be moving to/from the routes.

You can remove a section from Ottawa LRV without any impact on the car in the first place.

As I understand it, the TTC Flexity order will be followed by a Metrolinx order that will be divided among several users - KW, Crosstown, Finch, Hurontario, etc.
The Metrolinx order IS the TTC order. The TTC 2009 order for 204 vehicles included an option on a further 400 vehicles, with the assumption that TTC would be ordering them for Transit City.

In May 2010, TTC assigned 300 of those 400 vehicles to Metrolinx - who to date have taken up one option for 182 vehicles for the 4 Transit City LRT routes, and a further 14 vehicles for the Waterloo LRT. Steve Munro reported in 2010 that Metrolinx has 6 years to extend their order. Presumably the same goes for TTC.

So there is no order coming, assuming that Metrolinx can decide in 2016 what to do with their options.

What TTC should do for the next 60 cars is to order the ones for Ottawa and run them on 509, 510 and 512 since they will be longer than the new ones here.

Except that the Alstom cars won't fit on the regular streetcar trackage and network for the same reasons why the Flexity Freedoms being built for the Metrolinx lines can't.

You can use them for GO and Tram-Train operation.

Really? How do you figure?

Have you checked that with Transport Canada?

Once Ottawa has the new cars, TTC should lease one for testing on their system, especially 509, 510 and 512 since they will have very little impact on traffic in the first place being long than the our new ones. The only issue for them will be moving to/from the routes.

The cars won't fit on the legacy network. Period. They are wider, use a different line voltage, and can not turn nearly as sharply.

Now, that said, I don't disagree that they could be tested on the Metrolinx lines.

You can remove a section from Ottawa LRV without any impact on the car in the first place.

Well, that's assuming that the equipment on the roof of it can be moved or is duplicated elsewhere in the car.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That is, precisely, the only borrowing I allow myself to have.....Goods I want I pay for......I borrow to invest in things that will produce earnings....it is the only (appropriately) tax deductible debt we are allowed.

That was my thought, and it's greatly encouraged across society to borrow for education which is an investment into high future wages.

Except that the Alstom cars won't fit on the regular streetcar trackage and network for the same reasons why the Flexity Freedoms being built for the Metrolinx lines can't.

It's too bad a city like Brussels or Innsbruck can't lend Toronto a couple of Flexity Outlooks that can have new wheelsets put under them, but it's probably not that simple anyway.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I think we are saying the same thing, ie only Flexities from the TTC order can run on TTC trackage given curves and whatnot. So, what forces a change in the spec within the option for 400 more (given it was an option on the TTC order) to make it different from an option on more city-compatible Flexities? Is it too late to convert the option for 196 additional vehicles (182+ 14) to 136 additional Metrolinx spec and 60 additional city spec vehicles?

That leaves Metrolinx 60 short. Is there still time to change the design of the new lines to allow non-Flexity vehicles on the new lines? Crosstown, for instance, has virtually no curves other than maybe the Mount Dennis yard. Ground hasn't been broken there. Is there an LRT on the books that only needs 60 vehicles - Hurontario? KW? If so, some property may become an oddball but that's better than a single property supporting two types of vehicles.

My basic point is, all concerned should be bending heaven and earth to avoid handing BBD any more business. How that's achieved may require creative thinking by those who understand the nuts and bolts. We should not accept "It cant be done" without challenging in every direction possible.

- Paul

It's too bad a city like Brussels or Innsbruck can't lend Toronto a couple of Flexity Outlooks that can have new wheelsets put under them, but it's probably not that simple anyway.

The Brussels Flexity trams are 2.3 m in width. The Toronto Flexity Outlook (downtown) version is 2.54 m in width. The Transit City Flexity Freedom (suburban) version is 2.65 m in width. Plus other differences.

The Brussels Flexity trams are 2.3 m in width. The Toronto Flexity Outlook (downtown) version is 2.54 m in width. The Transit City Flexity Freedom (suburban) version is 2.65 m in width. Plus other differences.

That's surprising.. it felt so spacious when I was in a Brussels Flexity tram (underground). Watch out for pick pockets though.

That's surprising.. it felt so spacious when I was in a Brussels Flexity tram (underground). Watch out for pick pockets though.
Wasn't in Brussels vehicles that were loaned to Vancouver on the Olympic Line in 2010? I was a little surprised at how narrow the aisles were! And the driver (unsolicited) commented that the Toronto ones weren't to be that narrow.

That was my thought, and it's greatly encouraged across society to borrow for education which is an investment into high future wages.

That's not what I meant by "investment", as it's generally a "good thing" to spend aiming for direct increases in productivity, ie income.

What I meant is that borrowing to invest in securities or mutual funds or the like is not a good idea for an individual.

If Toronto were to move toward peak headways of 5 minutes on its major bus routes, it would start to approach Innsbruck levels of service. The TTC would also need all-door boarding, POP, and timed transfers on all routes too. And reduce fares considerably.

I understand there are some differences in gauge, pantographs, dual ends etc....but would the MLX order be operable on TTC with some minor mods, or is it out of the question?

Do those strike you as minor differences necessitating only "minor" modifications?

Wasn't in Brussels vehicles that were loaned to Vancouver on the Olympic Line in 2010? I was a little surprised at how narrow the aisles were! And the driver (unsolicited) commented that the Toronto ones weren't to be that narrow.
I had the same thought on the Olympic Line cars, that they seemed narrow.

Do those strike you as minor differences necessitating only "minor" modifications?

I don't know the answer, and that's why I'm asking. Yes, some of these might conceivably be minor...I'm guessing that the base design for Flexity assumed different users will want different appliances, pantographs being a good example. It may be a matter of unbolt one, bolt on a different one. Same with guage....lift the car off the narrow trucks, drop it on the wider trucks. The design may have the clearance for wider guage designed in. The rear cab? Probably a bigger consideration in terms of wiring, electronics, etc....but TTC doesn't need it, just lock it and don't use it. Strip any obvious reusable components eg the seat. Remember the G-series subway cars with no cabs?

It was helpful to know that one of the differences between Outlooks and Freedoms and such is width. That is certainly a more significant consideration. But again, it may be that the underlying modules can be built to a different width without penalty, provided sufficient notice is given. None of these are on the erecting shop floor yet.

I'm still puzzled by the statement that the wider non-city cars were contracted as an option to the original narrower city cars, so the original tender must have permitted the buyer to specify which model would be procured under the option. Is there any reason why this specification can't be changed again? Again, BBD is clearly early on in procuring the raw materials, and setting up its production lines.

I'm just spitballing but I'm gonna keep throwing out wild ideas, the point being - anything but BBD from this point forward in Ontario transit procurement.

- Paul

I think we are saying the same thing, ie only Flexities from the TTC order can run on TTC trackage given curves and whatnot. So, what forces a change in the spec within the option for 400 more (given it was an option on the TTC order) to make it different from an option on more city-compatible Flexities? Is it too late to convert the option for 196 additional vehicles (182+ 14) to 136 additional Metrolinx spec and 60 additional city spec vehicles?

I don't know. Part of the reasoning behind adding the Flexity Freedom order to the TTC's was that there is some commonality of parts - the basic parts of the control system is a fairly high-value one, for instance. I suspect that the drivetrain is another. HVAC but one more.

But can the orders just be swapped back and forth? I guess it depends on whether the lead time is far enough that Bombardier could go to their suppliers and switch up the components.

That leaves Metrolinx 60 short. Is there still time to change the design of the new lines to allow non-Flexity vehicles on the new lines? Crosstown, for instance, has virtually no curves other than maybe the Mount Dennis yard. Ground hasn't been broken there. Is there an LRT on the books that only needs 60 vehicles - Hurontario? KW? If so, some property may become an oddball but that's better than a single property supporting two types of vehicles.

All of the Metrolinx-built lines are being done so to be able to virtually use any off-the-shelf vehicle. That was the beauty of building them as so - when its time for the next generation of vehicles, there would be nothing preventing them from ordering Siemens, or Alstom, or CAF, or anyone else who happens to exist then.

My basic point is, all concerned should be bending heaven and earth to avoid handing BBD any more business. How that's achieved may require creative thinking by those who understand the nuts and bolts. We should not accept "It cant be done" without challenging in every direction possible.

- Paul

I don't think that's true or fair. They were plenty late with the TR order to start with, and despite all of the initial teething problems that they've had, both in terms of deliveries and operation, they're pretty darn close to be should be for deliveries. Yes, Bombardier is a couple of years late now - but the order was spread out enough that they do have the potential to get it back to be pretty close to fully delivered on schedule. The cars are proving to be quite reliable.

I don't know the answer, and that's why I'm asking. Yes, some of these might conceivably be minor...I'm guessing that the base design for Flexity assumed different users will want different appliances, pantographs being a good example. It may be a matter of unbolt one, bolt on a different one. Same with guage....lift the car off the narrow trucks, drop it on the wider trucks. The design may have the clearance for wider guage designed in. The rear cab? Probably a bigger consideration in terms of wiring, electronics, etc....but TTC doesn't need it, just lock it and don't use it. Strip any obvious reusable components eg the seat. Remember the G-series subway cars with no cabs?

It was helpful to know that one of the differences between Outlooks and Freedoms and such is width. That is certainly a more significant consideration. But again, it may be that the underlying modules can be built to a different width without penalty, provided sufficient notice is given. None of these are on the erecting shop floor yet.

First off, all of the G-cars had cabs - but the G-3 cars had no operating controls. That's probably what you were thinking.

As for the differences between cars, I'm not actually convinced that the trucks are actually different, beyond the spacing between the sideframes. The cars for the Metrolinx network will have different transformers to deal with the different line voltage, and will have a control system that is capable of operating in trains and handling ATO/ATC - both are items that are not necessary for the legacy network.

The biggest issue, however, is the body and articulations. The Flexity Freedom cars are built to one of the common standards for LRT cars used elsewhere in the world, with 25m minimum horizontal curve radius and 2.65m bodies. The cars for the legacy network have narrower bodies - 8'6", and are designed to handle much tighter curve radiuses both vertically and horizontally.

I'm still puzzled by the statement that the wider non-city cars were contracted as an option to the original narrower city cars, so the original tender must have permitted the buyer to specify which model would be procured under the option. Is there any reason why this specification can't be changed again? Again, BBD is clearly early on in procuring the raw materials, and setting up its production lines.

Assuming that Bombardier's lead time is long enough, in theory there shouldn't be a problem. But I don't know what Bombardier's lead time is.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That's not what I meant by "investment", as it's generally a "good thing" to spend aiming for direct increases in productivity, ie income.

What I meant is that borrowing to invest in securities or mutual funds or the like is not a good idea for an individual.

And I think some of us disagree. If you borrow funds to invest in something that produces (or, as CRA says, has a reasonable chance of producing) future taxable income the interest (in fact all carrying charges) of the debt become tax deductable

so, lets assume some individual is in a 40% marginal tax bracket. If they borrow, say, $10,000 to purchase fairly stable securities (I will use RioCan REIT as an example) they would likely get a decent rate at a bank by offering those same secuities as collateral to the loan. So, lets say, that rate is Prime +1% (which today would mean 3.85%).

Over a year they would pay $385 in interest in a year.....that would be tax deductable so the after tax cost of the loan is $231 for an effective rate of 2.31%.

If the person bought units in RioCan today the dividend yield is 4.73%.....with that particular security some of that would be tax preferred dividends and some not ....let's assume the worst case that they are all fully taxable so the after tax yield would be 2.84%

So, in that simple example borrowing to invest nets the individual .5% on someone elses money.....just on a cash basis....if the units appreciate in value then it is even better.

Don't like REITs? There is a really cool little investment strategy for people who hate big banks........do the same transaction above but borrow the money from CIBC to buy CIBC shares. Using the same 40% marginal tax rate....the after tax cost to the individual is stil 2.31%......CIBC's dividend rate is 4.65%...all receive the favourable dividend treatment so you gross up the actual dividend for tax treatment (4.65 X 1.38 = 6.42) and pay tax on that so the 40% guy pays 2.57 in tax but you get a tax credit of 20.73% of the actual dividend (in this case .96) so the effect is the tax on those dividend earnings is 1.66.....4.65% - 1.66 = 2.99

So you can borrow money from CIBC to purchase CIBC shares and the difference between your net after tax cost and your net after tax earnings is .68%.

I am not offering investment advice to anyone....not qualified to nor wish to......everyone needs to seek appropriate advise and consider their own personal financial situation and risk tolerance (including, importantly, time horizon).....I am, however, refuting the blanket statement that individuals should not ever borrow to invest in stocks or other investments......not only is it not true, we have a tax structure that absolutely encourages it.

The delays with the Flexity Outlook streetcar order from Bombardier may, correction will, have a problem with their other Flexity Freedom order for the light rail vehicles to be used on the Crosstown LRT. However, those Flexity Freedom vehicles will not have the street level ramps, the problem would be more with available space at the factory to assemble them.

As of September, 2014, the first pilot vehicle (Flexity Freedom) for the Crosstown LRT is due after the fall of 2015. That's this year. The production of the Flexity Freedom vehicles was to start in the spring of 2015, with deliveries commencing in the winter of 2017. The Crosstown LRT was to open by 2020. See http://www.thecrosst...rogress/funding

Back