News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I think I saw on the Transit Toronto Yahoo group that there not really interested because of not being able to get parts for them. Because so many of the parts are electronic as opposed to the PCC which has more mechanical parts on them and are easier to reproduce or find.

However, I'm guessing there are electronic experts (AKA kids) who are quite capable of putting together electronics that will do the same job, if not better.

I think I saw on the Transit Toronto Yahoo group that there not really interested because of not being able to get parts for them. Because so many of the parts are electronic as opposed to the PCC which has more mechanical parts on them and are easier to reproduce or find.

Seriously, can we stop repeating this myth please?

HCRR has never said such a thing, and they are in regular discussions with the TTC.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

However, I'm guessing there are electronic experts (AKA kids) who are quite capable of putting together electronics that will do the same job, if not better.

It's not so much putting them together it's getting the parts.
Seriously, can we stop repeating this myth please?

HCRR has never said such a thing, and they are in regular discussions with the TTC.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Ok that's good to know I just figure they wouldn't want them if they couldn't run them.

If another new part will do the job of some old part, why not? You don't need vacuum tubes to do the same job that the tubes did, just put together some circuit boards. A smartphone could do the job, just solder together some wiring connections.

Sounds like a great project for a hack lab of some kind ... provided the TTC isn't all 'uhh, no ... we don't feel like it' as they sometimes are.

If another new part will do the job of some old part, why not? You don't need vacuum tubes to do the same job that the tubes did, just put together some circuit boards. A smartphone could do the job, just solder together some wiring connections.

Sure, but then that defeats the authenticity of the operation of historic cars at a museum. You buy replica trolleys for the look of an old car with modern circuits.

The PCC-II cars in Philaldelphia are what you're suggesting, but plans to do that with the CLRVs were dropped about a decade ago.

The CLRVs are historically important. They were the flagship of the largest streetcar system in North America ... outlasting countless such systems that were destroyed because greed was placed before the public good. They should be preserved.

The CLRVs are historically important. They were the flagship of the largest streetcar system in North America ... outlasting countless such systems that were destroyed because greed was placed before the public good. They should be preserved.

Really......? How can this be quantified?

Really......? How can this be quantified?
It's a fact. Many corporations were indicted over this issue. Companies like Firestone, General Motors, Standard Oil, and Mack Trucks were all involved.

Just google "Great American Streetcar Scandal"

Look ... obviously it is a complicated issue. Nothing is black and white. I'd wouldn't claim that every streetcar system in North America was destroyed in some type of nefarious plot. Obviously that isn't how reality works, and even your article admits that said companies did influence the "trajectory of streetcar travel". Many trolley systems clearly were bought up by subsidiary companies of GM, and GM was indicted over conspiracy to monopolize the market, so it seems clear that there was at least some intent.

However (and while I fully admit that I responded and only mentioned the Streetcar Scandal), my statement "greed placed before the public good" was also to be applicable to many other federal, state, and municipal policies and zoning laws that, over the course of 3 decades, supported the highway system and automobile (in favour of automobile manufacturers who did and still do lobby government) at the expense of streetcar system. These policies gave the automobile a distinct advantage over trolley systems, and damaged public transit in many cities across North America.

We can agree to disagree, if you want. I appreciate the article and it does make some good points. Regardless, I still think that the CLRVs are historically important and should be preserved.

So I was chatting with a streetcar operator on Twitter and he said the training streetcars will be "rolling soon". He didnt specify what "soon" meant.

Anyway it's good to hear the long training process is coming to an end.

So I was chatting with a streetcar operator on Twitter and he said the training streetcars will be "rolling soon". He didnt specify what "soon" meant.

Anyway it's good to hear the long training process is coming to an end.
Given that there's only 6 (7?) of the new streetcars in service, it can't take that long to train operators. Smallspy helpfully explained that each driver takes a week to train. So 2 training cars times the well over a year they've had those cars means over 100 operators could have been trained. That's more than enough to drive a fleet of 6, right?

I don't know exactly how the scheduling breaks down, but let's assume 3 shifts per day. That's 21 shifts per streetcar per week. Or 126 shifts altogether. Presumably most drivers pick up 4-5 shifts a week, so if they've trained 100 operators that's 400-500 capable of driving those 126 shifts. Seems there's more than enough spare capacity. Otherwise if you train the drivers too early, they'll forget their training before they get to drive the new ones.

Back