News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The problem I have is that Bombardier tried to "rectify" shoddy work with yet more shoddy work (riveting ill-fitting panels). That's not only inexcusably poor quality control, it's an inexcusable attempt to hide the problem once discovered. Bombardier makes airplanes, for chrissake -- they should be damned good at quality control, and shouldn't be trying to sweep manufacturing problems under the rug.

Did you miss the part about the fact that the cars were NOT accepted in that condition?

The TTC has a person at the factory to oversee the final assembly of each streetcar, and Bombardier doesn't even get to think about shipping any of them until he signs off on it first. All of the problems that continue to be bandied about in the media happened months ago, and have long-since been rectified.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Did you miss the part about the fact that the cars were NOT accepted in that condition?
I thought we were discussing Bombardier's problems with both quality control and shoddy attempts to rectify that, and not about what the TTC actually accepted. Yes, the TTC did indeed catch Bombardier trying to pawn off shoddy work, and made them fix it. I don't see how this is supposed to make anyone feel better about Bombardier's work quality.

The TTC has a person at the factory to oversee the final assembly of each streetcar, and Bombardier doesn't even get to think about shipping any of them until he signs off on it first. All of the problems that continue to be bandied about in the media happened months ago, and have long-since been rectified.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Except, of course, the delivery rate/speed. ;)

That's pretty neat looking so they built a spur track into Hilcrest to unload them? I wonder if there's a video of it somewhere.

I bet someone's put it on YouTube at this point.

I remember seeing the spur being built a few years ago, just before the new first streetcar arrived. It runs along the west & north sides of the employee parking lot just north of the tracks.

This? Obviously the photo is a little dated.

Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at Wednesday Jun 24, 2015 10.33.13 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at Wednesday Jun 24, 2015 10.33.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at Wednesday Jun 24, 2015 10.33.13 AM.png
    1,010.6 KB · Views: 489
I thought we were discussing Bombardier's problems with both quality control and shoddy attempts to rectify that, and not about what the TTC actually accepted. Yes, the TTC did indeed catch Bombardier trying to pawn off shoddy work, and made them fix it. I don't see how this is supposed to make anyone feel better about Bombardier's work quality.

Perhaps if you don't know how these things are built, than I suppose it could make you feel worse. But this is pretty standard around the world for any number of different items that are built of many different, discrete components in different locations and assembled by people who weren't involved in their development.

Do you really think that a condo or office building is built absolutely perfectly the first time through? A car or truck?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

trials and errors aside, the expectation from TTC over this period has been for Bombardier to show progress in compliant deliveries which they have promised.
Bombardier still have yet to demonstrate this and are just throwing them excuses (regardless of credibility).
And this isnt the first time Bombardier has built a streetcar especially the components that are failing QC, hence they are rightfully supposed to be
held at a much higher standard

this is pretty standard around the world for any number of different items that are built of many different, discrete components in different locations and assembled by people who weren't involved in their development.
Like cars?

Seriously, this is Bombardier's business. It is what it does. If it can't work out quality control and logistics for a project like this, how can it possibly be expected to build safe airplanes?

Back