News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Just a few examples for you:

-A once successful and virtually always successful Learjet (business jet) program is struggling greatly
-The CSeries saga
-Divestiture of part of Bombardier Transportation

I could go on but it's beyond the scope of the subject of this thread
None of that is dismantling, instead those are examples of struggling units. Bombardier Transportation (makers of Toronto's rare new streetcars), CSeries and Learjet are all still wholly owned parts of Bombardier, and have not been taken apart as "dismantle" suggests.

Now, if you want examples of units that Bombardier has dismantled from the mother company....

- BRP http://www.brp.com/
- Rotax https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotax
- Military Aviation Services (MAS)

you really think today's market activity is just a reaction to that?

It absolutely was. This was the same day as the annual shareholder meeting, one of the most pivotal days of the year for a public company.
Hardly a vote of confidence.

It absolutely was. This was the same day as the annual shareholder meeting, one of the most pivotal days of the year for a public company.
Hardly a vote of confidence.

Ok, couple of things.....1. Sure, yesterday was the date of the annual shareholders meeting and shareholder meetings are usually very important as results are released...but (in an unusual event) the financial results were released the day before (as part of the Delta announcement)....2. The financial results were actually worse than analysts expectations but the stock (on the day weak results were released) continued its steady climb (reaching as high as 2.15 and closing at 2.04).....3. This was a climb that has been steady from the low ~70 cents in February to these new levels.....

Anyone who tries to tell you with any certainty why a stock moves in a direction on any given day is fooling you into thinking they have knowledge that they do not have......how, with such a widely held stock, could anyone know why people bought or sold on any given day....it is speculation by extrapolation but does make for some interesting conversations.

That said, it is highly likely that yesterday's drop in price was driven by people selling off and taking some profit. Someone who bought in at 75 cents in Februrary and could sell at $2 made some decent coin. I know my lowest purchase was at around $1.10 and I was tempted. It all follows an old stock market adage of "Buy on rumour (in this case the Delta purchase) and sell on fact"

But sure...one day's stock market is "absolutely" proof that statements made by the board drove down the price on that day.

On a lighter note, 4417 is lost and needs help. Bring towels :p

IMG_1441.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_1441.PNG
    IMG_1441.PNG
    733 KB · Views: 834
No doubt it'd cost more, but I still maintain my belief that two orders from separate manufacturers would've been the best bet. One naturally being Bombardier, the other could've been any number of excellent companies.

The added cost of going with two suppliers would be partially negated by a quicker fleet delivery, and no longer having pour money into extending the life of the A/CLRVs. And besides, even with the order split in two each would still be one of the largest light rail orders on the planet.
That's certainly been the practice on buses at the TTC, where we have multiple manufacturers providing the buses (Orion and Volvo for recent buys, New Flyer for older buses). Having options is always best.

Last edited:
The press releases have normally been when they entered service, not when they were delivered.

I'm surprised they don't do a photo op with all three level of government for each car's build completion, shipment out of Thunder Bay, passing the halfway point to Toronto, entering City limits, being delivered to Hillcrest, going on its first test drive, and going into service.

Perhaps because there hasn't been a press release :p
They did, 4 days late.

Went into service at PM peak on February 19, 2016 after being delivery February 10. Release came out on Tuesday February 23

looking good. anyone know if the pantographs will have enough clearance in situation like this?

Mad Magazine used to have a section called something like Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions. The answer is - of course. There is no plan to have mixed pantograph and trolley pole operations. The pantographs are the way of the future and will bring an end to de-wiring. Let's trust the TTC to run a good ship. I know a good number of competent people who work there.

saw 4419 out being tested on king today.

IMG_20160501_143518.jpg

It's situations like this that make it look ridiculous to worry about the height of the Union Station trainshed, and whether or not it will support electrification.

Pantograph operation is going to work through this tunnel, and that is much less clearance than we see at Union.

Mad Magazine used to have a section called something like Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions. The answer is - of course. There is no plan to have mixed pantograph and trolley pole operations. The pantographs are the way of the future and will bring an end to de-wiring. Let's trust the TTC to run a good ship. I know a good number of competent people who work there.
Well, there is a legitimate question for those of us that don't build streetcars. It's obvious that trolley poles can easily change with the height of the wire. How does that work with pantographs? Do they automatically raise and lower as necessary?

Back