News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I am a little nostalgic so I do prefer the cream-maroon. I wish we had just stuck to that paint scheme instead of changing. I still think the TTC should put it to a poll. Why not get some free public buzz from an easy to run branding exercise?
Cuz it's a total waste of money and effort. Not everything needs to be decided by committee.

Oh and I personally think the cream and maroon is drab looking and very dated. Leave history where it belongs, as history.

Last edited:
I would love it it they chose to keep the centre light on the new streetcars. It makes it much easier to spot one coming toward, thus easing the impatience of those waiting.

Or they could have next train display/panels at each stop (expensive and more difficult for on-street stops like those in much of the downtown network, but not impossible).

Not that it's not aesthetically nice to have the centre light.

^ But a panel at the stop is so much better than a website which you can't use when you are waiting for the next LRT.

Probably.

But next time you see someone at your streetcar stop who has a smartphone, tell them to check the site for you.

^ I have a smartphone. But why i should i have to waste my precious data allowance to know when the next tram is coming? We should not be designing public information systems with such a high bar of entry for access.

That's why you ask someone else to check it. :rolleyes:

My point being that one should not need a smartphone to find out when the next bus or train or streetcar is coming. Modern transit systems should be able to provide that information in a convenient manner that does not require one to have an expensive phone with an expensive dataplan.

I like how Viva does it. I would like to see that at every TTC stop ideally but at the very minimum that kind of information should be available at all subway, streetcar and LRT stops in the future.

My point being that one should not need a smartphone to find out when the next bus or train or streetcar is coming. Modern transit systems should be able to provide that information in a convenient manner that does not require one to have an expensive phone with an expensive dataplan.

I like how Viva does it. I would like to see that at every TTC stop ideally but at the very minimum that kind of information should be available at all subway, streetcar and LRT stops in the future.

That's the plan.

I would love it it they chose to keep the centre light on the new streetcars. It makes it much easier to spot one coming toward, thus easing the impatience of those waiting.
Another way of identifying the streetcars is by the green running lights beside the destination sign. Some cars have recently been retrofitted with LED lights that are very easy to spot from a distance, just like the blue LEDs on the front of the buses.
That is one element I hope makes it into the new cars.

I'd be happy to see every bus stop equipped with a route schedule and a modest shelter.

With a lower floor for the passengers, the inside height could accommodate taller people than the current streetcars. But what about the doors. Will they be higher, so that the tall ones don't bend their heads or get knocked? Same height as an average doorway or higher ? Between 2 and 2.5 m? Higher than a HRT subway car doorway?

Bombardier's "Flexity 2" at UITP Mobility & City Transportation Exhibition

Bombardier's "Flexity 2" at UITP Mobility & City Transportation Exhibition in Vienna, June 8-11, 2009

img_technology2.jpg

img_highlight2.jpg

See this link for more information on their highlighted products at the show.

The link to the show is here.

The FLEXITY 2 tram is equipped with the FLEXX Urban 3000 bogie; this enhanced bogie design combines best technical features in order to give to the passengers best comfort and easy access to the trams and to operators low cost by using proven and robust wheel sets and drive technologies: A Bombardier vehicle, which is even more efficient, convenient, reliable and safe as well as easier to maintain and repair.

As an option, the FLEXITY 2 tram can also be equipped with the new ECO4 PRIMOVE system. PRIMOVE allows catenary-free and contactless operation and is a new solution for tram networks in historic cityscapes.

The FLEXITY 2 tram is equipped with the FLEXX Urban 3000 bogie; this enhanced bogie design combines best technical features in order to give to the passengers best comfort and easy access to the trams and to operators low cost by using proven and robust wheel sets and drive technologies: A Bombardier vehicle, which is even more efficient, convenient, reliable and safe as well as easier to maintain and repair.

As an option, the FLEXITY 2 tram can also be equipped with the new ECO4 PRIMOVE system. PRIMOVE allows catenary-free and contactless operation and is a new solution for tram networks in historic cityscapes.

The FLEXITY 2 Tram and the FLEXX Urban 3000 Bogie: The Future of Urban Transport
Bombardier Transportation is also the global leader in the light rail vehicle industry. Using the successful FLEXITY trams as a basis, a multi-functional team identified potentials for further improving Bombardier vehicles for the operator as well as the passenger. The overall objective was "bringing good quality to perfection". The result is a platform that is perfecting proven elements and adding innovations which make it fit for the future. This unique evolution will be presented at the UITP event in Vienna: The FLEXITY 2 vehicle product concept is the latest development of the highly successful FLEXITY modular tram platform.

With FLEXITY, Bombardier was the first in industry to combine a 100% low-floor technology with conventional wheel-set bogies, allowing for low-level entrance that guarantees easy access. The FLEXITY 2 tram will not only feature this breakthrough technology, but also an improved carbody concept, better corrosion protection, an improved cab structure, an enhanced air-conditioning system, a unique driver's cockpit and the second generation of MITRAC traction equipment. In addition, it also showcases exchangeable front modules and a flexible interior design with unprecedented possibilities for customization.

Back