News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Personally I don't think its that bad looking, i'm pretty sure we'll warm up to it as more pictures, concepts, mock ups, and the actual thing come along. I really like that they've incorporated the 3 head lights.

Reaperexpress You're right, that Bombardier Eurotram is very cool!

Last edited:
A video of two BOMBARDIER FLEXITY streetcars beginning their long voyage over the high seas, destined for Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada for the 2010 Olympic Winter Games. The streetcars will travel through the Panama Canal, covering a distance of some 9090 nautical miles (approximately 16,835 km) before reaching the port of discharge in Tacoma, Washington, USA. Following a short journey on flatbed trailers, the trams will arrive in Vancouver in early December.

Click on this link for the video.

The TTC's version should be similar but customized for the tight curves and hills we have.

Bombardier Transportation, in partnership with the City of Vancouver, will provide free streetcar service for Vancouver residents, visitors and athletes during the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games.

Bombardier’s sponsorship of the streetcar demonstration includes operating and maintaining two BOMBARDIER FLEXITY streetcars on loan from Belgium’s Brussels Transport Company from January 21 to March 21. Using the existing Downtown Historic Railway, these 100% low-floor modern streetcars will operate on the 1.8-km of upgraded rail infrastructure.

Click on this link to Bombardier's information website on Vancouver’s 2010 Streetcar.

Click on this link for their special website.

Click on this link PDF for backgrounder information.

Click on this link for the dataset PDF.

Wonder if we will be getting the padded European seats (seen on the multimedia vehicle interior views) or will be continue with the current fabric seats?

Interesting mode of shipping... Rather than splitting the streetcar into smaller sections they're opting to ship 32 metres of it at once.

20091103-1-Brussels_cars_enroute_to_Vancouver.jpg

I suppose this suggests it's permanently attached, or disassembly would be too costly

From one of the PDF files linked by WK, it states 70 km/hr is the max speed.

That's too bad. Hopefully higher top speed will come with the better hill-climbing ability that the TTC specified.

If not, then the Scarborough RT will likely see a decrease in service speed with the conversion to LRT. Currently the average speed on the section between Kennedy and Ellesmere is limited mainly by the top speed of the Mark I vehicles (also 70km/h). And since the acceleration is unlikely to be better than the ICTS vehicles, then the section between Ellesmere and McCowan is likely to be slower too. :(

It's not about the top speed for hill climbing, it's about the gear ratio.
When have you ever been on a streetcar that has traveled 100 km/hr let alone 110? On most streets with streetcars, the drivers would be be stopped by police and have their vehicle impounded :rolleyes:
Stemming from that note, there are laws that restrict the speeds of trains too, incase you didn't know that.

I'm a bit confused, is the SRT going to be retrofitted to allow regular Subway trains, or to carry Light rail vehicles? i can't seem to find much information on this except occassional metionings here and there.

Interesting mode of shipping... Rather than splitting the streetcar into smaller sections they're opting to ship 32 metres of it at once.

20091103-1-Brussels_cars_enroute_to_Vancouver.jpg

I suppose this suggests it's permanently attached, or disassembly would be too costly

It's kind of funny that the streetcars are sharing a ship with high-end BMWs and Rolls-Royces. Quite a juxtaposition.

It's not about the top speed for hill climbing, it's about the gear ratio.
When have you ever been on a streetcar that has traveled 100 km/hr let alone 110? On most streets with streetcars, the drivers would be be stopped by police and have their vehicle impounded :rolleyes:
Stemming from that note, there are laws that restrict the speeds of trains too, incase you didn't know that.

I assumed that they would improve hill-climbing by having more powerful motors, but now that you mention it, changing the gear ratio does make more sense.

Obviously the streetcars still have to obey the speed limit on roads, and I was aware that rails had speed limits too. However, rail speed limits go up to 160km/h so I don't think that should be a problem.

I was unaware, however, of any law that generally restricted the speed of light rail vehicles.

As far as I know, between Kennedy and Ellesmere, the SRT spends a good portion of its time between stations at top speed. In this situation, having a higher top speed would make a big difference.

However, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if they are going to use Legacy streetcars or Transit City streetcars on the revamped line, so the top speed may not be an issue after all.

For streetcars that travel at 110 km/h, try the LACMTA Green Line.

Back