News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I done seen it.

The mayor unveiled the first (he said) drawings of the skin for the new TTC streetcars at the transit symposium last night.

Here's a tiny, terrible cellphone photo: http://yfrog.com/3n78zjj

It actually looks better than what you see there. What you can't tell from that picture is that the new car has three running lights on the front - a big one in the middle, and two smaller ones - a nice reminder of the streetcars of yore. Er, of today.

I done seen it.

The mayor unveiled the first (he said) drawings of the skin for the new TTC streetcars at the transit symposium last night.

Here's a tiny, terrible cellphone photo: http://yfrog.com/3n78zjj

It actually looks better than what you see there. What you can't tell from that picture is that the new car has three running lights on the front - a big one in the middle, and two smaller ones - a nice reminder of the streetcars of yore. Er, of today.

Looks great! Can't wait to see the real thing!!! :D

Looks plain ugly to me. They need to give it a colour scheme that distracts from the ugly forehead.

Flexity Outlooks seem to vary a fair bit in terms of their final cladding from city to city. I'm glad somebody at the TTC remembered to ask for the three lights, which is a nice little gesture to the past. The solid red livery is also a step up from the silver-with-red-stripe arrangement that was in the promo image.

That said, I personally would have preferred if the Toronto model didn't have the Boris Karloff brow---I can't really see what function it serves, aside from kick up the drag coefficient, and it's by no means a mandatory component of the Outlook platform.

Here's an image of the Brussels flavour of the Flexity Outlook, which seems superficially to be the closest sibling to the Toronto fleet in terms of front fascia design. Our Flexitys will have different door placement than theirs.
brussels3.jpg

Last edited:
I'm actually quite depressed with the latest rendering. These ugly things will look worse on our streets than the current fleet :(

I bet they got the same designer that did the hideous new police car graphics...

...I'm glad somebody at the TTC remembered to ask for the three lights, which is a nice little gesture to the past. ...
That's great news about the three lights being installed. I was annoyed when the renderings only had two. I'd say it's not only a 'little gesture' but also has utility: it's a main feature that differentiates a SC from other vehicles. Especially in the dark. And it's already going to be harder to spot the new SCs because they look to be much shorter. Good news, I hope it goes through.

That's great news about the three lights being installed. I was annoyed when the renderings only had two. I'd say it's not only a 'little gesture' but also has utility: it's a main feature that differentiates a SC from other vehicles. Especially in the dark. And it's already going to be harder to spot the new SCs because they look to be much shorter. Good news, I hope it goes through.

+1

Back