News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

We need to get more innovative in funding besides straight taxation and fare prices.

Every condo built in Toronto should have been required to fund transit construction (not ops or maintenance), for example. A per sq.ft. fee on top of whatever fees the city charges now.
All new buildings already pay Development Fees ( and Education levies and Parks Levies) - See: http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...nnel=6c661ba53b450410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

What you are proposing is simply to increase these, yes?

From this link:

Parking space levy: Other cities, including Vancouver, Los Angeles, Miami, Pittsburgh and Seattle, tax either parking spots or parking revenues. Current legislation would only allow Toronto to levy a per-spot tax on landowners. A $1-a-day per-spot tax could bring in $383-million a year, according to KPMG’s estimates. A 5-per-cent parking sales tax, if Toronto was given the green light to bring one in, could bring in $32.8-million.

From this link:

Parking services sold in New York City

Charges for parking services in New York City are subject to the 4% state tax, the 6% New York City local tax, and the ⅜% Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD) tax (for a combined state and local rate of 10⅜%).
The borough of Manhattan has an additional 8% parking tax that applies unless the purchaser is a certified exempt resident (for a combined state and local rate of 18⅜%).Eligibility rules and the application to apply for the exemption from the additional 8% parking tax can be found at www.nyc.gov.

All new buildings already pay Development Fees ( and Education levies and Parks Levies) - See: http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...nnel=6c661ba53b450410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

What you are proposing is simply to increase these, yes?

Indeed. And BILD has already come out against oversized projects like Scarborough extension because it directly impacts sales of their product.

Of the $910M for the cities contribution to SSE, development charges are expected to contribute $135M.

No. Separate transit levie.
Transit is included in the general levy. One might argue that transit should get more of it but it IS there and I bet other constituencies would not want their share of the cake reduced. If more $$ are needed, and they are, one way to get them is to increase the GENERAL Development Charge.

"Development Charges are charges imposed by the City of Toronto under the Development Charges Act, 1997 and help fund growth-related capital costs for the following services: Spadina Subway extension, Transit, Roads, Water, Sanitary Sewer, Storm Water Management, Parks and Recreation, Library, Subsidized Housing, Police, Fire, Emergency Medical Services, Development-related Studies, Civic improvements, Child care, Health, and Pedestrian Infrastructure.

It's amazing to me that we still have manual switches.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/toront...ly-switch-directions-of-streetcar-tracks.html

We'll be running 21st century light rail on 19th century tech points.
This is not something I've ever seen anywhere else in the world I've traveled. Other transit systems have robust automatic switches. The drivers do not get out with a large version of a tire iron at any point, and vehicles don't have to come to a full stop at every single switch. It really is properly shocking when you've moved to Toronto from elsewhere.

This is not something I've ever seen anywhere else in the world I've traveled. Other transit systems have robust automatic switches. The drivers do not get out with a large version of a tire iron at any point, and vehicles don't have to come to a full stop at every single switch. It really is properly shocking when you've moved to Toronto from elsewhere.

The reason is $$$$. With the TTC being underfunded for three decades, everything that can be deferred, gets deferred. It's keep being deferred until it breaks, and only gets the fixed or replaced with the minimum that they can afford.

Mods: this discussion about TTC funding is not appropriate for a thread titled

Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery

Reactions: PL1
Mods: this discussion about TTC funding is not appropriate for a thread titled

Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery
If there is no TTC funding, how do you expect TTC to buy new cars and test them??

Are you are aware that there is no money in TTC budget to buy the extra 60 cars that are needed Now?????

Have you check the 1,000's other threads that go off topic from time to time and this one of them????

Since 4424 got delivery to Leslie on Thursday by 4401 towing it, can we see it in service by Sept 19???

Will we see another car this month or wait until Metrolinx car is finish?????

Keep in mind other systems have proper lights to tell the driver of the streetcar or LRT that the track is aligned for them and most of them are newer then our current network is. I doubt the city would be happy if the TTC decided to rip up all the intersections and other places to replace the switches.

I'd say nearly every km of track has been ripped up and replaced since the 1990s. That's when the automatic switches should have been installed.

It's not as if we're still using Victorian-era rails and switches from the 1892 beginning of horseless streetcars in Toronto.

was on 505 (towards Dundas West) today and as usual the operator had to change the switch with a pole at Broadview / Dundas. Doesn't help arguing against those who claim streetcars hold up traffic, when it is avoidable with sufficient maintenance.

Back