News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

why do they make it so the windows can't be opened? I understand that in the hieght of summer, they want the windows shut for air-conditioning purposes, but can't the driver have a locking mechanism? No better feeling than having the window open on a warm summer night or those first truly warm spring days

I too had thought they would have built the prototype in Europe first. Just wonder if some, if not all, the supervisors or designers could have come from Europe for the prototype stage. Saving up on the shipping charges, I guess (hard to stow it in the Millennium Falcon, eh Chewie).

Most likely the blueprints and other drawings would have first had to be done in Europe, with electronic copies going back and forth with Canada.

Why? Bombardier is a Canadian company.

Check their website, they are a Canadian company that builds transit vehicles worldwide, these days. Click on Transportation, then Products & Services.

Here's a video of work being in Thunder Bay. Especially, check out from the 2:40 mark on...

[video=youtube;HrjrXJsQkH4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrjrXJsQkH4[/video]

Last edited:
As a bit of an aside - did anyone else find the red in the prototype vehicles a lot more palatable than the version depicted in the renderings shown to public thus far? It seem a lot less garish.

AoD

Right, but weren't they chosen largely because they can do assembly in Canada?

And that the factory already existed in Thunder Bay. Used to be Can-Car. Used to be Hawker Siddeley. Used to be UTDC (Urban Transportation Development Corporation).

Last edited:
As a bit of an aside - did anyone else find the red in the prototype vehicles a lot more palatable than the version depicted in the renderings shown to public thus far? It seem a lot less garish.

At first, I was like: 'aw, what the hell, the deep red looks awful and doesn't resemble our CLRVs'. But now I see it as a strong and rich red that should look really good running along our streets.

At first, I was like: 'aw, what the hell, the deep red looks awful and doesn't resemble our CLRVs'. But now I see it as a strong and rich red that should look really good running along our streets.
I wouldn't dwell on the shade of red too much because it will not take long for the new LRVs to be wrapped in ads.

AoD

Do you mean the red in the renderings seemed a bit orangey/lurid whereas the red on the prototypes is more of a proper red (but not as burgundy as the traditional TTC colour scheme)?

Here's a video of work being in Thunder Bay. Especially, check out from the 2:40 mark on...

[video=youtube;HrjrXJsQkH4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrjrXJsQkH4[/video]

Near the end of the video, they show a sign nicknaming the new streetcar prototypes "Legacy", while the Transit City light rail vehicles could get the nickname "Metrolinx". Shows that the noses of the two vehicles could have different shapes.

Why are we building streetcars? How over do you wait for 20 mins for a streetcar and then see 3 of them lined up in a row arriving at your stop?

Every single developed city in this world has a more sophisticated and reliable system than we do.

Why are we building streetcars? How over do you wait for 20 mins for a streetcar and then see 3 of them lined up in a row arriving at your stop?

Every single developed city in this world has a more sophisticated and reliable system than we do.

I've waited for a Jane bus or buses for over 45 minutes, during the "rush" hours. Then 8 of them arrived. Then some of the drivers got off to use their washroom.

I prefer streetcars than buses because their give a better more comfortable ride, more seats, and better views than on the Subway. When streetcars ran on Mt. Pleasant, they had streetcars every 10 minutes during the day and ran 24 hours a day. With buses on Mt. Pleasant, its every 30 minutes and no service after 7:30 pm. Transit users, that's actual users, prefer streetcars over buses.

Back