News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I'm generally friendlier to surface LRT than a lot of folks around here, and have been thinking in terms of something like:
1625281024379.png

Mostly as it seems like there are places that the speed, capacity and cost of metro level solutions would really gain more than on Jane... Extending the OL up Keele is, imo, less a question of needing a metro there then of smoothly handling the lack of space for a surface solution on the southern end of Jane.

York Region 2051 Rapid Transit Network (see link) has plans for a Line 1 "Jane Subway" extension from Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station to Major Mackenzie Drive West/Canada's Wonderland.

1650315953354.png

What about Jane Street within the City of Toronto, itself? Time to "think" about a Jane LRT now.

Don't forget that many of the current parking lots in the City of Toronto could be redeveloped with mixed-use developments, which will add to the ridership all over Toronto.

York Region 2051 Rapid Transit Network (see link) has plans for a Line 1 "Jane Subway" extension from Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station to Major Mackenzie Drive West/Canada's Wonderland.

View attachment 393758

What about Jane Street within the City of Toronto, itself? Time to "think" about a Jane LRT now.

Don't forget that many of the current parking lots in the City of Toronto could be redeveloped with mixed-use developments, which will add to the ridership all over Toronto.
I sure hope so- the 35 is extremely overcrowded, never mind the 935. Especially with the new 27-35 split and transit deserts, Jane really needs transit relief.

View attachment 393758

With the costs of elevated transit continuing to equalize with in-median LRT, I’d rather have an elevated automated light metro (ALM) personally.

With the costs of elevated transit continuing to equalize with in-median LRT, I’d rather have an elevated automated light metro (ALM) personally.
The last direct analysis I saw was I believe released in 2019 for the Eglinton West extension stating that the elevated transit would cost 2x at grade LRT.

Jane Street, north of Wilson Avenue, is wide enough for a in-median LRT. It's not in Doug Ford's neighbourhood, who demanded and got the Eglinton West LRT to be buried because it was in his neighbourhood.

South of Maple Leaf Drive (Highway 400), it should be underground to Bloor Street West. Only emerging to the surface around Eglinton Flats (to intersect with Line 5) and maybe Alliance Avenue (Black Creek).

The last direct analysis I saw was I believe released in 2019 for the Eglinton West extension stating that the elevated transit would cost 2x at grade LRT.
2x when we’re talking millions and billions is peanuts. ;)

I believe that any Jane rapid transit should go more south (possibly using South Kingsway) in order to connect to Waterfront West "LRT" (or Ontario Line if it continues west along the rail corridor). This would give riders more options, especially to connect from/to proposed Park Lawn GO station. Just my two cents.

With the major labour cost increases and shortages we’ve seen recently (that aren’t going away), a disadvantage that in-median LRT has is the sheer amount of work required. The entire roadway has to be rebuilt, and all the utilities moved. That process is super labour intensive, and why in-median LRT prices are skyrocketing.

Elevated transit is more materials intensive (which have also seen cost increases) but requires less labour effort as most of the work is creating supports where pre-assembled parts of the guideway are installed. It doesn’t always require an entire road rebuild. This is why this sort of transit is less impacted by inflation, and why the costs between these two types of transit are levelling out.

I believe that any Jane rapid transit should go more south (possibly using South Kingsway) in order to connect to Waterfront West "LRT" (or Ontario Line if it continues west along the rail corridor). This would give riders more options, especially to connect from/to proposed Park Lawn GO station. Just my two cents.
Step 1. The Return of the 138 SOUTH KINGSWAY bus. See link. (An extension to the 55 WARREN PARK bus or 26 DUPONT bus would work as well. Increase the headways of both those routes would be a prerequisite.)
138-south-kingsway-tt2.png

Would building LRTs along the old concession/side roads solve the transit issue?All existing and future LRTs run along one. Are there many concession/side roads that are not that busy?

Would building LRTs along the old concession/side roads solve the transit issue?All existing and future LRTs run along one. Are there many concession/side roads that are not that busy?
Some LRTs in other cities use old or existing railway right-of-ways.

With the major labour cost increases and shortages we’ve seen recently (that aren’t going away), a disadvantage that in-median LRT has is the sheer amount of work required. The entire roadway has to be rebuilt, and all the utilities moved. That process is super labour intensive, and why in-median LRT prices are skyrocketing.

Elevated transit is more materials intensive (which have also seen cost increases) but requires less labour effort as most of the work is creating supports where pre-assembled parts of the guideway are installed. It doesn’t always require an entire road rebuild. This is why this sort of transit is less impacted by inflation, and why the costs between these two types of transit are levelling out.
Nevermind ongoing operating cost differences due to automation and superior service.

Back